I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Another custom trunk setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002
Tre
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tre is an unknown quantity at this point
Another custom trunk setup

Please don't be too quick to judge, this is only temporary and my first full custom system. But all of my roommates/buddies seem to really like it. And besides, this system sounds REALLY clean and cost less than $1100. I got everything except the moster cables from Ebay.

I've decided on using the Pioneer 7300 cd player-it's got some cool visuals and plenty of options.
[IMG]www.geocities.com/thirdmorris/MBquarts.jpg[/IMG]
MB quart component DSD 213 were installed up front--These things are LOUD and clear...I was very pleased. I used blue LED's to light the crossovers up in the trunk. I'm no expert, but I recommend using LED's over neon anyday, they don't buzz or draw much current. I still have the stock rear speakers but they are used mainly for midrange/midbass fill.
[IMG]www.geocities.com/thirdmorris/trunksetup.jpg[/IMG]
This is my trunk setup. I wanted to keep as much trunk space as possible and stay low key (spelling??). So I ended up fiberglassing a box. This was my first fiberglassed box and looked pretty butt-ugly. That's why I didn't take pictures while I was making it. I must admit, this box does sound good and is extremely light. I chose the Pioneer TS-W3041 DVC sub for it's tight bass and small sealed applications (1 cu ft.)
[IMG]www.geocities.com/thirdmorris/kenwoodamp.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]www.geocities.com/thirdmorris/sparetire.jpg[/IMG]
The coolest thing about this setup is that I was able to keep the spare tire!! I'm running 2 kenwood amps (for now)...I'm saving up for a couple of Fosgates.

Well that's it for now. I just wanted to share with you guys what I had done to my 2k2 civic sedan. I'm broke now but I'm saving up money now for a 7-inch wide screen so I can drop in my Athlon 750 computer. I'll keep you guys posted and post a full DIY on the in car computer -system sometime this summer (if no one else has done it).
Old 03-16-2002
Registered!!

nrrhgreg is an unknown quantity at this point
You can't link pictures from Geocities, just red x's then. Use something like hostmb.com instead.
Old 03-16-2002
Tre
Registered!!

Sorry about the post above....Geocities and hostmb aren't working for me. Here are links to the pics. Constructive critisism and ideas are welcome.
Old 03-17-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Melikes.. Simply yet very functional. A little style thrown in there...Nice Setup.. mounting the tweets that low though might make your front staging weird.. but then again. Our cars might have some acoustical anomolies that defy the law of pyschoacoustics and it may sound perfect [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]..

You get

Cheers Dude
Mohawk
Old 03-17-2002
Registered!!

Carlito is an unknown quantity at this point
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]EXCELLENT IDEA to use spacers under the spare tire lid.
I was just wonderin what size wood did you used because I have been searching all week for a way
to mount an amplifier and you my freind have come up with a simple, elegent solution. And my wife
will be happy to keep the trunk!!!

Carlito!!!
Old 03-17-2002
Tre
Registered!!

The new wood that I used was 3/4" mdf board for the top of the box, hinged floor baords and railing. The entire "false floor" and railing is about 3 inches above the original floor. Note: You have to make sure that you have just enough clearence for the amps' height. My front stage is a little bit off right now (a little too low to the ground), and people keep kicking the stupid tweeters-including me. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG] Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated. I want to fabricate some custom kickpanels but I'm not sure what the best angle and height to mount my tweets. Has anyone here made their own kick panels for the civic yet??
Old 03-17-2002
Registered!!

FURY is an unknown quantity at this point
damn you with your cupholder cover [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-17-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about

<< damn you with your cupholder cover [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG] >>

I know!

Us 2001 Civics are jealous.
Old 03-17-2002
Registered!!

PeArlHoNdA is an unknown quantity at this point
VERY nice, gotta love the earthly blue glow...............

PeArLhOnDa
Old 03-22-2002
Registered!!

ELTsanwich is an unknown quantity at this point
the guys at a local stero shop says that Q-logic makes kick panels for our cars, but that them
Old 04-23-2002
Registered!!

BlueLightning is an unknown quantity at this point
I like th set up... but why under the carpet?
Old 04-24-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light

<< [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]EXCELLENT IDEA to use spacers under the spare tire lid.
I was just wonderin what size wood did you used because I have been searching all week for a way
to mount an amplifier and you my freind have come up with a simple, elegent solution. And my wife
will be happy to keep the trunk!!!

Carlito!!!
>>

easiest way is to get 1 by 3's that way you dont have to try to cut up the MDF into strips.

then just get L brackets and a drill. be careful where you drill through [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

plug and chug. bolt everything down and you have your sub frame to lay your MDF on top of (or your plywood if you wanna save some weight [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG])
Old 04-24-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light

<< I like th set up... but why under the carpet? >>

cause it looks cool, dammit [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

seriously, you retain like 95% of yoru trunk space, and its all USEABLE space, the only thing i would add would be a plexi grill for the sub itself so you can really just toss @#$% back there, and maybe larger windows for the amps, but it looks really good for a start!
Old 04-24-2002
Registered!!

Bdubb is an unknown quantity at this point
are there any negative effects with putting your amp under the carpet how do they get air ? Or are the heatsinks good enough?
Old 04-24-2002
Registered!!

depends on teh amp. earthquake would fry, but my jbl runs nice and cold ^.^
Old 04-24-2002
Tre
Registered!!

I'm running very small amps, so heat really isn't a main concern.
Old 04-24-2002
Registered!!

Draggin is an unknown quantity at this point
It looks nice! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]