I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

touch-screen LCD or high end head unit

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ricergribbs is an unknown quantity at this point
touch-screen LCD or high end head unit

pretty much i can't decide between a high end head unit or an LCD touch screen dvd/mp3/etc player. I've been looking at the dual dvd players with touchscreen lcds, or i could get a really nice HU from pioneer or something. here's a couple i've been comparing:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pione...oductDetail.do

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pione...oductDetail.do

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138085803557

could someone tell me what the big difference between the pioneer 6800 and 7800 is? i can't really see one in the info. oh, and i'm concerned about the LCD screens in chicago weather. it seems like the extreme heat and cold might damage them, anyone info on that would be much appreciated.
Old 10-19-2006
Registered!!

evolutionmr is an unknown quantity at this point
u can always buy the one i'm selling, top of the line, kenwood. works great in hot and cold, as i've lived in nebraska and now in texas
Old 10-19-2006
Registered!!

could you link me to the actual model? and 675 is probably too expensive for me. trying to stay under 600. i remember talking to you, and i wish i could afford it, and i'm still debating. i'ld love to get it, but it'll take me until the begining of november to save up the cash. oh btw, can they play those music screensavers? kinda like you have on the PC has that you can play during a song.

Last edited by ricergribbs; 10-19-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-19-2006
I need a drop
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

thefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the rough
yeah dude, youll like the dual. But if your scared of anything happening to it. Buy the 4 year warranty. I have the flip screen one, and it has not given me any problems. The Duals do lack alot of features as compared to the higher end screens.
Old 10-24-2006
Registered!!

genexrocket has a spectacular aura aboutgenexrocket has a spectacular aura about
jus drop the cash for an iva-w200
Old 10-24-2006
Registered!!

yeah i've heard lots of people complimenting the iva-w200, but what kind of extra features does it have over one of the Duals HUs? is it really worth the extra 500-600?
Old 10-24-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
dont waste money on dual, it will just break anyway
Old 10-24-2006
I need a drop

thefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the rough
it has a ton of features over Dual. I will say that owning a Dual screen myself. My motor went out in mine, but Dual sent me a whole new HU.
Old 10-25-2006
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ricergribbs
yeah i've heard lots of people complimenting the iva-w200, but what kind of extra features does it have over one of the Duals HUs? is it really worth the extra 500-600?
I can't believe I'm going to post this again in the ICE forum.

"You buy cheap products, you'll receive a cheap product". Its as simple as that.

As for your question as to wether you should buy a screen or a high end deck.

Ask yourself what's the purpose of this deck?? sound or video??

Yes you can get both in a screen, but I find that higher decks usually output better sound than a screen can. Most indash DVD/ Navi units only have 2V preouts, where most higher end decks have 4V or higher preouts.

btw, I wouldn't consider the pioneer 6800 or the 7800 high end decks. There more like middle of the line. The pioneer 9800, premiere 980, and 880prs are high end decks.
Old 10-25-2006
Registered!!

yes, i know that you get what you pay for, but what i'm wondering is why what makes the iva-w200 so much better over a dual, OTHER then just quality. everyone mentions "all these extra features", yet no ones actually talked about a specific feature.

sorry, i know jack about HU's that's what i probably sound like a dumbass asking all these questions. yet again, what is the difference between a 7800 and a 9800? i've gone down the list of specifications, yet i can't notice anything really big. could you just point out one or two things that makes the 9800 so much better? here's links to the 7800/9800 so you have both spec sheets.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...147601,00.html

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...147633,00.html

any help would be much appreciated.
Old 10-25-2006
Ultimate Member

teampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant future
$600 might possibly get you something decent if you happen to find a slightly used higher-end model off ebay. Other than that, stay away from that price tag.

As far as models are concerned, after using 8 different in-dashes, touch screen is the way to go. My favs are the IVA-D300 and D310. Still have my D300 going in my old track car after 2 years.
Old 10-25-2006
Registered!!

yeah i think those are out of my price range so i'll just stick with a regular HU. i'll see if i can find a good deal on the 7800 or the 9800, but still, which one is really better? the 9800 is about 100-150 more depending on where i've checked, but i can't find any special features. only real thing i've found is downloaded visualizations for the 9800, but i think the 7800 has similar thing.
Old 10-25-2006
Registered!!

genexrocket has a spectacular aura aboutgenexrocket has a spectacular aura about
well lets see, obviously quality-wise it's better than dual, i mostly got this headunit for the high-speed ipod connection which is prolly the best out there right now, Alpine says it can play virtually any "shiny disc", the headunit itself looks very slick(looks oem, alpine basically makes the doubledin navis for hondas anyways), has connections for bluetooth, xm, standalone eq, and navi(waitin for the dock for my blackbird!!), has pulsetouch display(simulating the tactile feedback of pushing a button), i'm not sure if you can do this on other double dins but you can change the background picture, and i just have a feeling that this hu will last as long as the car itself, sooo i'd say yea, it's worth the extra 500-600,, btw i got the iva-w200 for 900 and the blackbird for 500, not too bad of a price for doubledin navigation.
Old 10-25-2006
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
i got the premier version of the second head unit u posted from pioneer...and i must say that i am not dissatisfied one bit...i love the unit its nice and it was cheap
Old 10-25-2006
Registered!!

alrighty, thanks for the help all. i've decided to go with the 9800, and then prolly get an amp and maybe even new speakers, all depends on how much $$ i get for my bday. so around the second week of november expect to see pics
Old 10-25-2006
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
yeah i think those are out of my price range so i'll just stick with a regular HU. i'll see if i can find a good deal on the 7800 or the 9800, but still, which one is really better? the 9800 is about 100-150 more depending on where i've checked, but i can't find any special features. only real thing i've found is downloaded visualizations for the 9800, but i think the 7800 has similar thing.
I guess your right, there is not much that different from the 7800 to the 9800. I guess I overlooked the 7800. I guess the only difference is the Bluetooth capability in the 9800.

alrighty, thanks for the help all. i've decided to go with the 9800, and then prolly get an amp and maybe even new speakers, all depends on how much $$ i get for my bday. so around the second week of november expect to see pics
If you do decide the get that deck.

1) expect to spend a lot of time fine tuning the sound with the 16 band eq, the crossover settings, and all the other sound adjustments.

2) if do get this deck, and are unsure what to set the time alignment for each speaker at. I can give you the proper numbers. I had an older pioneer premiere deck that had auto time alignment which automatically setup time alignment.

3) If you are getting this deck for BT purposes. I would suggest a you have a phone with BT version 1.2 . I've heard phones that have BT 1.1 or earlier version don't work well with the deck.

4) Oh yeah, here's a teaser for you.

Old 10-26-2006
Registered!!

ok then... so the only real difference is the bluetooth? don't really need it heh, so maybe i will just stick to the 7800 and save myself the 100 and get an amp. is that really the only difference?
Old 10-26-2006
Registered!!

just so i dont have to start a new thread, how do you guys think this setup will sound? i don't really want a sub because i think the speakers will be able to give me enough bass. don't really want to be driving down the street setting alarms off.

HU:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...159491,00.html

Amp:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...600357,00.html

Speakers:
back:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...089277,00.html
front:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...089293,00.html

oh and i have a coupe, and obviously can get most of that stuff for cheaper then listed on the pioneer site.

Last edited by ricergribbs; 10-26-2006 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-26-2006
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough
Nice, I personally would've gotten an Alpine HU. I love em to death, not the prettiest to look at all the time but their function is what I love.
Old 10-26-2006
I need a drop

Go with some components for the front.
Old 10-26-2006
Registered!!

how do these look?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...089287,00.html

these are component speakers right? just built in tweeters...
or would these be better?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn..._35027,00.html

Last edited by ricergribbs; 10-27-2006 at 03:10 PM.