I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

solobaric L5 or L7

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicRiderCA is an unknown quantity at this point
solobaric L5 or L7

What (other than about $100) are the differences between the Kicker solobaric L5 and L7 subs? I am looking to buy one or the other but would rather spend that extra hundred bucks on an amp if the difference isn't that great between the two.
Old 03-16-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Alot of differences. Motor Structure, Power handling Magnets. Cone rigidity Suspension [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]. The L5's are still quite good, but they aren;t as well damped and don't handle as much power as the L7's also.. reading from a few other Forums a few fella's Blew their L5's with less than it's RMS rating power...

Cheers
Mohawk
Old 03-16-2002
Registered!!

snake is an unknown quantity at this point
I just bought an S12L5 (L5), because after reading up on them, the L5 was a better deal(to me, so no flaming). If you look at the SPL, it's damn near identical, in fact I think it is. The L7 does handle more watts, but that means you have to buy a bigger amp, so you spend more there too! Maybe the rigidity or whatever is different like Mohawk said, but for my dollar, the L5 is the way to go.

Also, If you have a solobaric and you aren't pushing as many watts as it calls for, you are asking for it to blow in the first place. That's the same with any sub though. If you don't give it the power it needs, it struggles to reproduce the sounds, therefore causing it to possible blow.

I got my L5 in the other room, waiting for my new Kicker KX-600.1 amp to power it[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

Mike
Old 03-16-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Not giving a sub enough wattage won't cause it to blow [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG].. if your running clipped watts then yes (extreme distortion) which low wattage amps amps do when you drive them too hard.. SPL wise the L5 and L7 are pretty much the same under the same power. Both are really good subs. For daily bumping the L5's would be a better choice purely based on price. the differences between an L7 and L5 wouldn't be very noticable if at all for a street system.

Cheers
Mohawk
Old 03-17-2002
Registered!!

NeonNights is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm...personally, I went for the L7's. I did it for their higher power handling, and I think they may have slightly more excursion. I also did it for a couple of other reasons. One is because you have to love that titanium-deposit cone, which I do believe the L5's don't have, and also because I just like to go for the highest model I can get when I buy stuff. That's why I'm getting a Civic EX instead of a DX or LX. I've never heard the L5's, though, so I don't know how they compare. All I know is that I absolutely love my L7's. I can officially say that I have the loudest system at my school. I can't wait until the local youth (21 and under) car show this summer. They have an SPL competition. I got third place with two 12" Punch XLC's. The guy who got second had two 18" Punch XLC's (with a PowerAccoustik amp), and the winner had two 12" Comp VR's. I think I have a really good chance at winning this year, assuming that nobody else bought better systems. Sometime soon, I want to go to a stereo place about a half hour from where I live, called Lucky's. They check your SPL for free, and I'm really wanting to find out what I'm hitting. My car sounds like it's ready to fall apart. My trunk literally bounces a quarter of an inch when the bass hits, and I can actually feel air coming out from the inside of the trunk. I just hope I don't blow the seals out...I'd hate to have it start leaking and end up with water all over my stuff. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

blowhole is an unknown quantity at this point
hey .. i got 2 12"of the old L7's ....before they came out with the new silver ones...and im running 1100 watts to em in mono and they bump hard but ive probably blown 6 or 7 of them so far ...but since ive had my civic i havent had problems ....they are mounted facing the bac o my trunk and ive hit 151.9 so far at competition....but that was before i gutted my trunk and lined it with mdf and fiberglass....now its a bassmachine....the roof of my car flexes about 1/4 -1/2 inch depening on how i have it set sometimes.....itsincredibly loud and i cant wait to finish my setup...
Old 03-22-2002
Registered!!

NeonNights is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you serious about the roof flex? I'm just wondering, because I'm getting an EX and I'm concerned about the moonroof. Do you think there is any chance of shattering the glass when it's open? When it's closed, I'm sure it is sealed enough to cut down on vibrations somewhat, but when it's open, do you think it could rattle enough inside the roof to shatter?
Old 03-22-2002
Registered!!

UncleB is an unknown quantity at this point
dang, I don't think I could listen to music that loud. I am a SQ guy though so that's probably why. Trust me, I like loud music, but it has to sound good. I like to laugh at the people at car shows that have their system turned all the way up with distortion out the ****. I went to a sound off on Wednesday night and some kid with a Benz blew $1,000 worth of components because he was trying to show off. I wish I would have heard about that while I was there. I didn't hear about it until later.
Old 03-22-2002
Registered!!

blowhole is an unknown quantity at this point
the roof flex isnt capable of shattering the galss...because its only for certain songs at the highest levels....and as for sound quality....i only play my subs loud to **** people off or to show off...other than that my highs are blaring without distortion....