I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Slim PS2 install + lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Slim PS2 install + lots of pics

After changing my head unit up to an Alpine IVA-D900 earlier this week, I decided to pick up a slim PS2 for installation in my car. I tried a couple of different places for installation, and settled on the center console. Putting it there required the least modification to my car (only had to make 2 holes in the bottom of the compartment), it fit the best (the lid closes WITH the controllers plugged in), and it seemed like a logical spot. In fact, the test fit in there made it look like it was meant to be, it's almost perfect.

This took under 3 hours, from start to finish. That included taking both the driver's seat and center console out, and also installing an Alpine KCA-420i (which only took about 5-10 minutes), which arrived today as well.

And big thanks to Derrik for lending me his PS2 for the time being. I owe you big time, and I SWEAR your console is coming back in the same condition that you gave it to me in (you know you gave it to me broken right? ).

Comments are encouraged and welcomed!

So here's how I did it...

Here you get an idea of how I wanted to mount the console. It still leaves me with enough space to keep everything in there that I need (but I did have to give up some random junk that was sitting in there). What you can't see is how it is almost flush with the top of the compartment.

I put 2 small marks with a white-out pen on the back of the console so that I could mark the holes that I had to drill for the plugs to come through.

I started the holes with a drill from the top, and then dremelled it out from underneath until it was just big enough for the power connector and AV adapter to fit through, filing and sanding it smooth once it was done.

Here is the hardware I picked up to connect it. I opted for a small AV adapter so that I could neatly mount it underneath the center console with double sided tape, and then run a wire to the D900 brain. I also went with a cigarette lighter adpater for a power supply, to allow the unit to run on 12 volts and eliminate the need for a bulky power inverter. Originally, the plan was to get the cigarette lighter power supply, and cut off the lighter part and hardwire it in. I learned however, that there was a power regulator inside the cigarette lighter part, so instead of cutting it off, I bought a 12v power socket which I wired into switched power, and then plugged the power adapter into that.

The AV adapter mounted underneath the center console. Neatly tucked away and secured with heavy duty 3M double sided tape (molding tape).

The assembled power adapter and power socket assembly mounted to the back of the inside of the center console with double sided tape. Power is run under my driver's seat to a distribution block which is on a relay that draws power directly form the battery via a 10 awg line that is used to power my headrest screens, video amp, sirius tuner, underglow, and now the PS2.

Similar to the first pic, but now mounted in the car. The cables are long enough to stick up from the bottom to allow me to plug them into the back of the PS2, but then they drop back through the holes, putting the PS2 right on the bottom of the compartment. I just used a small bit of double sided tape to secure it to the side of the compartment.

As I mentioned earlier, I can connect both controllers, and still close the lid on the center console. I don't know if it will close with a memory card installed, as I don't have one yet. I just picked up this PS2 yesterday, which actually isn't even mine. I have one in shipping from somebody on the board, but since I am going to a car show Sunday, I wanted to expedite the process and get one installed.

And the money shot(s). NESA 6.5" visor screens, Innovatek 7" headrest screens, and the aforementioned IVA-D900. With a GT3 demo, the only game I currently have .

That's all!
Old 08-18-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jameStype is an unknown quantity at this point
nice install man. *thumbs up*
Old 08-18-2006
Registered!!

flipmoderacer02 will become famous soon enoughflipmoderacer02 will become famous soon enough
damn, looks good...you got a lot of screens
Old 08-18-2006
Registered!!

Derrik is an unknown quantity at this point
nice nice, now u wanan do it for me?? haha.
Old 08-18-2006
Banned

MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Yeah sure man, payment for lending me the thing!
Old 08-18-2006
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
looks good ryan
Old 08-18-2006
Registered!!

Honda_Inspired is an unknown quantity at this point
That is badass!!!!!
Old 08-18-2006
Registered!!

kuNhoHan will become famous soon enough
you should go wireless controllers like the logitech ones so they can be easily hidden and no cord mess
Old 08-18-2006
Registered!!

marcuse will become famous soon enough
good call
Old 08-18-2006
Banned

not a bad idea

I made another thread about this, but I'll ask here too as it seems relevant... does anybody know where I can get a no-swap solderless mod chip that will work with this version of the PS2?
Old 08-18-2006
Registered!!

SEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of light
I don't know if this helps, but I did a quick google and found these.
PS2 mod chips
Oh, nice job on the install.
Old 08-18-2006
Registered!!

kuNhoHan will become famous soon enough
BTW ... dont get cheap wireless controllers .. i used to be a manager of a GameStop and i all thre problems ... logitech has no issues everything else sucks monkey *****
Old 08-19-2006
Registered!!

05reverb is an unknown quantity at this point
very nice job , where did you get that adapter for power? i've been looking for something like that forever, way better than having an inverter. for chips, i always bought mine at modchip.ca, fast shipping and excellent service, and they have the pics that show you where to solder the wires and resistors.
Old 08-19-2006
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
nice. you should get some wireless controllers to make it look cleaner.
Old 08-19-2006
Banned

I take my car to a lot of car shows, wireless controllers would probably get stolen so fast. or maybe I could have 2 sets

reverb: I got the power adapter (and AV adapter) from Future Shop. It was only $14.99 for the power supply and $19.99 for the AV adapter. Awesome prices if you ask me.

the chip you bought from modchip.ca was for a slim ps2?
Old 08-19-2006
Registered!!

DUDEitsMATTx has a spectacular aura aboutDUDEitsMATTx has a spectacular aura aboutDUDEitsMATTx has a spectacular aura about
not bad not bad.. if i were u i would have got bigger visor monitors. i can get visors that are a little smaller then urs but with a 9" monitor in it. **** is crazy
Old 08-20-2006
Registered!!

05reverb is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
reverb: I got the power adapter (and AV adapter) from Future Shop. It was only $14.99 for the power supply and $19.99 for the AV adapter. Awesome prices if you ask me.

the chip you bought from modchip.ca was for a slim ps2?
kool!, never taught of looking at future shop, i'll have to go get me one of those.

now it's all the same chip no matter what ps2 you have. last one i did didn't work, it was the newer chip that came out(modchip H20), it was in a older model ps2, so maybe it was just the ps2 that was too beat-up . i did 3 slims and 4 big ps2's. they are a b***h to do (very small to solder).

Last edited by 05reverb; 08-20-2006 at 09:02 AM.