I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

cap question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cannonfolder is an unknown quantity at this point
cap question

How do u guys prevent from blowing ur alt with our cheap a$$ 70 amps.I blew two already.
I have a 1.5 ferad cap in my closet that I haven't installed yet,would that help?
Old 07-26-2006
Registered!!

ashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to behold
run a 4awg to the back of the car to another battery.
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

Wouldn't that still ask the same amount of amps from my alternator, or would I have to charge the extra battery with a charger evertime it goes low?
Old 08-01-2006
Registered!!

ashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to behold
you wouldn't have to charge the battery over time, the alternator would do that for you, it would just take longer to charge while the car is on.

Make sure the battery is deep cycle and spill proof, i doubt you want acid all over your trunk floor
Old 08-02-2006
Registered!!

The wires going from your altenator to your battery,did you change them to 4 gauge or did you keep them stock? I'm guessing that you wired your second battery in parallel from the first battery leads.
So I guess capacitors are useless in saving an altenator. I'm going to follow your advice and pick up another bat.
You seem to know your stuff on audio so I'm going to ask for your opinion about my subs. I have my 2 Infinity kappa perfects 12 vQ's in a sealed enclosure running off a alpine MRD-M501 which produces 550Wx1 rms at 2 ohms. The subs handle 400 watts rms each. DO you think it is worth it to invest in a second amp to drive my subs, and will I notice a huge difference for the money spent?
Thanks

Last edited by cannonfolder; 08-02-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-02-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
A good capacitor with the correct farad will help your car out a lot!!!!

& you won’t blow any more alt's.

But a battery in the trunk is a great idea!!!

Id love to get a battery in the trunk for my system.
Old 08-02-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 02BLKCIVIC
A good capacitor with the correct farad will help your car out a lot!!!!

& you won’t blow any more alt's.

But a battery in the trunk is a great idea!!!

Id love to get a battery in the trunk for my system.
I'm not disagreeing with you but I heard from someone thet a cap is useless if you are trying to save your alt because, the same amount of amperage is still demanded from it to run the power.If you think otherwise can you explain how it reduces the strain on the alt?
Old 08-02-2006

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
hmmm good point!^^^

I have a 2000 watt system & a cap with no problems.

But that could be true, because the cap will only hold energy to protect from "surging."

Wile you are still pulling the same amount of amps because of the system....

hmmmm well.

Some one please enlighten us...
Old 08-03-2006
Registered!!

I guess nobody can come up with a hardcore explination
Old 08-03-2006

I post a thread now see if we can get some answers...^

hear we go http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...00#post3974000

see what that thread generates.

Last edited by 02BLKCIVIC; 08-03-2006 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-04-2006
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
no, a cap wont save your alternator.

if youve gone through two, that means that the root cause of what blew the first one has not been corrected. thus, the second one blew.

in rare cases, the replacement part is also bad. I'm not convinced this is the case, because no alternate troubleshooting has been performed.

I can't tell you what the root cause of popping your alternators is, but it's very likely (very high confidence factor) that a capacitor will not fix what the root cause is.

Bummer of a situation in general. if it goes a third time, I would request to talk to someone who does product support for Honda of America, see if they have seen anything like your situation. its more likely they would know from experience a list of potential root causes and methods of troubleshooting.
Old 08-04-2006
Registered!!

You seem to know your electronics pretty well, what do you do for a living?
Old 08-05-2006
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
field service engineer