I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

hooking car subs to home stereo.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006
New Mod on the Block

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
hooking car subs to home stereo.

ever since i took out my subs from my car, they've just been sitting in my garage. i just had the idea that i could hook them up to my home stereo. i just need to know how to power them. do i need some sort of power converter? then all i would need is a hi to low converter to get a sound signal. is there anything else i would need?
Old 06-19-2006
Registered!!

Stearic is an unknown quantity at this point
Here is a bump for you. I have a total of 5 subs sitting in my basement that i'm not going to be putting in my car either, would be nice to have more bass for my stereo.
Old 06-19-2006
250+ awhp Stage 2

SLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant future
Umm it isn't smart to hook up car speakers to home theater amps. I believe it can blow your subs. Something with the amps being different.
Old 06-19-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
I say just buy an extra car battery...

I have a 12 hooked up to a boom box and a cd palyer.

Its all one getto peace.
Old 06-19-2006
Registered!!

depotcivic has a spectacular aura aboutdepotcivic has a spectacular aura aboutdepotcivic has a spectacular aura about
^^pics? lol
Old 06-19-2006
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
you'll be fine hooking up car subwoofers to HT amps, a speaker is a speaker. As long as your impedences all match you'll be fine. I know my stereo receiver has an option to switch between 4 and 8 ohm outputs while my HT receiver only operates at 8 ohms
Old 06-19-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by depotcivic
^^pics? lol
lol I'll take a pic off my phone later tonight.
Old 06-19-2006
Registered!!

half_n_half17 is an unknown quantity at this point
I recently hooked up a MB Quart Car sub to my computer's system. It's a dual 4 ohm sub so I wired it up for 8ohms and hooked it up to a spare stereo receiver I had laying around. Most home audio receivers are set up to handle 8 ohm loads, but there are some out there that can handle 4. If you don't want to go that route you can purchase sub amp plates that integrate right into your sub box and run off 110 AC.
Old 06-19-2006
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.

blackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant future
I did it back in the day before I had my license, didn't bring very much boom unless the sterio or reciever had big wattage. Even then it wasn't too big. Never hurt them though, and they were even a really crappy brand that I bought cheap just for that reason.
Old 06-19-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

shmik1 has disabled reputation
its easy to do.. buy a plate amp from partsexpress.

I have a type S with a 200w amp.. (4ohm of course)

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-796
Old 06-20-2006
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
with the plate amps and an oversized box, some car subwoofers work great in the home.

its just not practical with a car amplifier.

sometimes you can get away with reciever power. id make sure you have high loads. 8-16 ohms. some recievers can handle 4 ohm loads, but most freak out a little bit.
Old 06-20-2006
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
i still have my car amp. i just need to know how to power the car amp with an plug. kinda like how they have it setup at best buy.
Old 06-20-2006
Registered!!

2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by grenloch101056
you'll be fine hooking up car subwoofers to HT amps, a speaker is a speaker. As long as your impedences all match you'll be fine. I know my stereo receiver has an option to switch between 4 and 8 ohm outputs while my HT receiver only operates at 8 ohms

I totally agree. I tried it the other way around once, I put my home theater sub in the trunk, that **** hit so fvckin hard you wouldn't believe it.
Old 06-20-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Rennen
i still have my car amp. i just need to know how to power the car amp with an plug. kinda like how they have it setup at best buy.
the right way to do it would include buying a DC power supply and hooking it up that way. better bring alot of cash with you

the cheaper way to do it would be a car battery and a battery charger
Old 06-20-2006
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute
I have a 12V DC power supply with 20A. It wasn't that expensive at the time. It sounds nice and this is preferred method to use car amp and sub..
Old 06-20-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Just watch the amp cause many outputs on a home audio amp are 8 ohm and many subs are 4 or 2 ohm.
You will get more power to the sub, by hooking it up to the amp in your house, but you are really straining the amp.
Old 06-20-2006
Registered!!

Dominatorp1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had two alpines subs and a rockford amp connected to my PC.. What i did was connect my subs like normal to my amp, aux to rca from pc to amp, and had the amp running off a boat battery (they have better deep cycle), and a boat batter charger.. Work amazing and sounds great..
Old 06-20-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Devani
I have a 12V DC power supply with 20A. It wasn't that expensive at the time. It sounds nice and this is preferred method to use car amp and sub..
20 amps wont get you very far
Old 06-20-2006
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by grenloch101056
20 amps wont get you very far
struggling at 600 rms class a/b. Ill bet itll go up to around a killowatt class D, playing music.
Old 06-21-2006
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
Just go do a run out at a local car audio shop with a converter. JK JK JK don't do that. We would stay late to play video games with 3 sets of boston z6, 4 t2's and 8 Type R's hooked up to the PS2. Man that **** was loud.
Old 06-22-2006
New Mod on the Block

ok. this is turing out to be more work than its worth. is there an easy way to hook up the amp to a plug? damn... i sound like a n00b... this sucks... i really dont want to spend that much... because... honestly... i really dont care that much about it that much. lol.
Old 06-22-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
If your reciever/amp is rated for, say, 50 watts RMS @ 8 ohms then if you hook a 4 ohm sub up you will be giving it anywhere from 75-100+ watts RMS depending on how its built. No matter what, though, if it's made for 8 ohms then a 4 ohm load is bad for the electronics.

Otherwise find out what impedence the outputs are for and wire the sub up that way.
Old 06-22-2006
Registered!!

ok. this is turing out to be more work than its worth. ... i really dont care that much about it that much. lol.
Youve figured out the secret. Its funny, because we just tell people this at the beginning in these threads (and there are a TON of these threads out there!) but noone believes us.

you actualy "get it."
Old 06-23-2006
Registered!!

ashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to behold
ok. this is turing out to be more work than its worth. is there an easy way to hook up the amp to a plug? damn... i sound like a n00b... this sucks... i really dont want to spend that much... because... honestly... i really dont care that much about it that much. lol.
its not that hard man. Hook up your subs to your car amp like you normally would, then run a + and - to a car battery charger and run it at 14.4 volts. Theres a $50 solution for you. We did this with my buddys two JL 12w3v2's with a Jensen amp for a house party we had, works fine, try it out.
Old 06-23-2006
Premium Member

shmik1 has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit
Youve figured out the secret. Its funny, because we just tell people this at the beginning in these threads (and there are a TON of these threads out there!) but noone believes us.

you actualy "get it."

I agree with this too, BUT... just buy a plate amp and forget about using ur car amp. I've been running my Type S off a 200w amp, for about 2 years since I already had the sub the $120ish i spent on the plate amp was much cheaper than $400 for a home theater sub, and it sounds just fine. If I had the $ of course I'd upgrade to 2 type Rs, and get a 1000watt amp.. but the typeS with 200watts is just fine for now..