I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Sound keeps cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006
7thgens official a$$hole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
Sound keeps cutting out

The reasson why is because all the speakers are hooked up to 1 amp. it is a 5 channel sony. The reason is because the amp keeps failing to turn on. I checked all the fuses and all of them are fine. Then I pulled the headunit and just to make sure the headunit was putting out sound I hooked a speaker up regular to run off the head unit rather than the RCA. The speaker worked fine. So I checked the remote wire, it was a little loose, so i took it apart and retapped it. It worked fine after that. But then apprently when she drove off after a song the sound cut out again, everything was connected. So, my question is is it the headunit not sending a signal or the amp not recieving one?

Headunit is a kenwood excelon, and the amp is an explode 880. Any suggestions to get her through a while intil she gets her new setup? I was going to suggest just rin the speakers form the headunit, and have the sub as a crap shoot maybe working maybe not just depending on the day i guess.
Old 06-15-2006
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
Sounds like possibly the preouts on the Kenwood might no work. Do u have a Digital Multi Meter? If so, measure if the remote wire is receiving power.

Maybe the ground came loose from the bolt?

Can you tell if the amp is getting power (the light turns on) ?
Old 06-15-2006
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
Its not the Preouts from the kenwood, because when I checked the amp it wasn't turning on, but the radio was. I didn't have time to check the ground, and completly troubleshoot it, because it was early in the morning and I was heading to work as was Sandy(lolitapierce). I saw her brother working on it and went over to help. Might be as simple as the gorund I'll have Keith(her bro) redo the ground and see what happens. That completly slipped my mind.
Old 06-15-2006
Registered!!

MJ4Real is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea dude i was having the same problem in my car and its 99% going to be the ground. First make sure u have a thick enough ground wire then check and make sure u got a good part of the frame to ground it to or have a grounding kit. The best way to check to check ur ground is to find out how much ur amp is putting off and check diff grounds on ur car.
Old 06-15-2006
7thgens official a$$hole

yeah went over and told her dad to check the gound when she got home because I was about to go running arouynd the park. ground was good. amp was bad. now its rigged up to 2 amps, it works but ehh. not my system.
Old 06-15-2006
Registered!!

SleekOne is an unknown quantity at this point
I wrote this to another dude in another thread but it may help in this case as well: "Check the connections on the amp to the sub. One of mine boke inside the amp and it would stop sending a signal to the subs if they moved a bit. If you jostle the connections gently and the connection is broken the signal will be lost. This may be why you're losing sound when you turn the volume up - because the bass is shaking the loose connection. I took it to the local shop and they re-soldiered the connection for a few bucks."

Also, I've heard of mainboards in amps breaking if they've been mounted to the sub box from the vibrations. If you can shake the amp and hear something rattling around in it then there's likely something in need of soldier.
Old 06-15-2006
Life is better with 5lug

HondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to all
big enough power wire.....I had that same problem........it took me 5 months to figure it out.....lol