I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

alpine 9857

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PCaly2112 is an unknown quantity at this point
alpine 9857

does anybody have this unit? I installed it and it must've been the most frustrating thing i've ever done. neither of my dash kits worked perfectly (big gaps or wouldn't allow the faceplate to open completely. I didn't really think about the wire harness, thought i could use the one from my old headunit, but the part that locks it into the unit was on the opposite side so i had to re-do a harness, AND now that i think about it, i forgot to wire the power and ground wire into the harness for my sirius thing... damn... guess i'm taking that apart again tomorrow... I wanted to do the less glare install, but using the parts that were reccomended in that diy it didnt' work (faceplate won't open). I'll post pics later, but I got the headunit in, and have a big open void now, what should i fill this with, and if you can think of something i screwed up and would allow me to do the diy please let me know.
Old 06-10-2006
Registered!!

SEVYN is an unknown quantity at this point
im planning to get the alpine 9856. thank god for this thread. let us know how it goes? lookin forward to those pics tonight.
Old 06-10-2006
Registered!!

jayo2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Alpine 9857

I just installed my Alpine CDA-9856 today using the Metra Kit 99-7897 that allows you to keep the pocket with the door. I also have a 2004 LX. It does work & allows me to open the face to use the CD player. I am sure the 9857 & the 9856 have the same dimensions. Where you probably are having trouble is the holes that naturally line up with the radio, will mount it too far back. I used two of the smaller holes & brought it forward flush with the Metra trim kit. I had to use some smaller screws & a big washer. The Din sleeve is the same way.(it mounts it to far back). Try moving it forward & I'll bet it will solve your problem. I didn't need the faceplate trim ring with mine.
Hope this helps!
Old 06-11-2006
Registered!!

PCaly2112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Let me rephrase this a little, I used/tried the diy for the less glare on the headunit. The headunit itself is in fine, but I was not able to put it on the lower portion, its in the normal spot and I had to take out the bar that ran across the dash kit for me to open the door. I need a kit that has flat edges all around, instead of the angled ones that are on the metra 01-03 kit that was suggested to use in the low glare diy. anybody know of one? if not, any suggestions for filling the other portain of the dash kit? Its just open right now and you can see right into the wires, I don't really want to have a pocket there.