I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Help needed choosing speakers please

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Earthworm is an unknown quantity at this point
Help needed choosing speakers please

Hi, I've just bought and installed a new HU (JVC KD-SHX751) which rated at 51 Watts. Now I want to replace my car's speakers to do it justice. I'm a big fan of Ebay and have noticed some Infinity Kappa 652.7i's and 62.7i's on there. Both priced at £64.99 per pair. I have been told by the seller that the 652.7i's would be compatible in both the front and back of the car as they are 6.5 inchers. Can anyone confirm this because using the "vehicle fit guide" service on the Infinity website, only the 62.7i's come up as being compatible with a Honda Sport 2003. Confusing! Also, can anyone comment if eithof these speakers would be a good choice? I've noticed that the very best online price is around £90 so this seems like a good buy. And if I do get them, will I be needing spacers? I'll shut up now.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 06-09-2006
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
They will fit that's for sure. What are the specs on those speakers?
Old 06-09-2006
Registered!!

62.7i:
Power Handling, RMS: 75 Watts
Power Handling, Peak: 225 Watts
Sensitivity: 94dB
Frequency Response: 45Hz - 25kHz
Mounting Depth: 2-3/16"
Impedance: 2 Ohms

652.7i:
Power Handling, RMS: 75 Watts
Power Handling, Peak: 225 Watts
Sensitivity: 94dB
Frequency Response: 45Hz - 25kHz
Mounting Depth: 2-3/16"
Impedance: 2 Ohms

Posted direct from the Infinity website. Exactly the same specs. The Ebay seller emailed to say that the 652.7i have a 6.5 fitment and the 62.7i have a 6.0 fitment. Also the 652.7i's seem to have a lot more fixing screw holes around the perimeter.

Anyway, he said the 652.i's are compatible but the Infinity website said it's the 62.7i's that are compatible. Which would you suggest I buy???

I guess that if both sizea are ok I should go for the larger 652.7i's as the extra screw holes might make the installation more straight forward.

One last thing, I thought I heard someone mention here that they fitted some 6x9's in the rear. On Ebay there are some KAPPA 693.7i 6x9's at £77.50. Would these go in the rear or would I have to stick to the 6 or 6.5 inchers mentioned above. What do you think?
Old 06-09-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
I cant comment on the size, as I dont have time to read everything you posted, but as for infinity:
I have yet to be anything but surprised with how good Infinity products are for the price. You get $200 infinity speakers, and you get much more than most other $200 speakers.
Old 06-09-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
kappa are great speakers, but am amp is pretty much required for decent sound. the deck barely puts out 15wrms per channel if you're lucky. the kappa can take 75wrms so you need an amp that will give at least 1/2 or more of that per channel.
Old 06-09-2006
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
Originally Posted by gearbox
kappa are great speakers, but am amp is pretty much required for decent sound. the deck barely puts out 15wrms per channel if you're lucky. the kappa can take 75wrms so you need an amp that will give at least 1/2 or more of that per channel.

Exactly. U should really get an amp for those speakers if you want them to sound as good as a $225 speaker should.

You can fit 6x9's in the back but sometime you have to trim the metal. I have 6x9 Diamond Audio's in my 04 EX coupe
Old 06-09-2006
Registered!!

OK. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I presume that the 3 way Infinity 693.7i 6x9's would provide better sound than the 2 way speakers I was considering so I will buy a pair for the rear and go for the 652.7i in the front as I guess 6x9's will not also fit at the front (am I right?). As for the amp, what would you suggest? Are Infinity amps as good as their speakers? By the way, the specs for for the 6x9's are:

Power Handling, RMS:
110 Watts
Power Handling, Peak:
330 Watts
Sensitivity:
95dB
Frequency Response:
35Hz - 25kHz
Mounting Depth:
3-3/16"
Impedance:
2 Ohms

Many thanks again,
Daves
Old 06-09-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i would look at alpines new amps. and you prolly want a 4 channel amp to run all the speakers off of. and you want the ohm load to match, i think its 4 ohm. 2way and 3way doesnt really matter. for coupe, rear is 6x9, front 6.5 i believe.
Old 06-09-2006
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Earthworm
OK. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I presume that the 3 way Infinity 693.7i 6x9's would provide better sound than the 2 way speakers I was considering so I will buy a pair for the rear and go for the 652.7i in the front as I guess 6x9's will not also fit at the front (am I right?). As for the amp, what would you suggest? Are Infinity amps as good as their speakers? By the way, the specs for for the 6x9's are:

Power Handling, RMS:
110 Watts
Power Handling, Peak:
330 Watts
Sensitivity:
95dB
Frequency Response:
35Hz - 25kHz
Mounting Depth:
3-3/16"
Impedance:
2 Ohms

Many thanks again,
Daves
Your going to need an amp for these kappas, they run at 2 ohms, too low of an impedance for most headunits
Old 06-12-2006
Registered!!

Thanks for the advice. I have since been advised that the civic will not take 6x9's in the rear without some serious cutting so I'll get the 652.7i's (75W RMS) for front and rear. As for powering them, in the FAQ section of Bassjunkies.com it seems to suggest that amps that are presented with a 2 ohm speaker load will generally double the RMS to compensate. Is this right? I don't really want to buy a separate amp just yet if the JVC headunit (22W RMS into 4 ohms) will suffice for the time being. Can anyone comment on this please?
Old 06-14-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Earthworm
Thanks for the advice. I have since been advised that the civic will not take 6x9's in the rear without some serious cutting so I'll get the 652.7i's (75W RMS) for front and rear. As for powering them, in the FAQ section of Bassjunkies.com it seems to suggest that amps that are presented with a 2 ohm speaker load will generally double the RMS to compensate. Is this right? I don't really want to buy a separate amp just yet if the JVC headunit (22W RMS into 4 ohms) will suffice for the time being. Can anyone comment on this please?

generally an amplifier will increase its ouput as the impedence drops. If your going to be running kappa speakers you must run them off a headunit since they operate at 2 ohms. If you hook them up to your jvc it might work for a few moments before blowing fuses or smoking the output stage of your headunit.
Old 06-14-2006
Premium Member

i think you meant amp instead of headunit
Old 06-15-2006
Registered!!

Thanks for the advice. I've decided to go for an Alpine MRV-F340 or the more recent MRV-F345. I believe this will match the speakers power ratings very well.
Old 06-15-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
i think you meant amp instead of headunit