I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Audio Gurus, here's a challenge

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
Audio Gurus, here's a challenge

As some of you know, i have my laptop ran into the aux input of my clarion DXZ855MP and i'm getting amp hiss....bad....i don't think it's a preamp problem cuz when i turn the sensitivity up on the aux inputs, the hiss goes up with it...so i'm thinking it an impedence miss-match. My laptop is 50mWa and 20Ohm, but i cant find what the input levels are on this freaking deck. I went to clarion's website site and it told me that an aux input was to "accept input from an external device" the world is getting way to dumb these days. any idea what it would be or where i could find it?
Old 03-14-2006
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
you could always try giving tech support a call, you'll be escalated to a level 5 tech before getting information that classified
Old 03-14-2006
I spend way too much time on this website

LowSky is an unknown quantity at this point
you need a better RCA cable. but the real problem is your using mini RCA that Y splits into regular left right channel RCA cable... if you understand that... its your reason for the hissing
Old 03-14-2006
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by grenloch101056
you could always try giving tech support a call, you'll be escalated to a level 5 tech before getting information that classified
Old 03-14-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by LowSky
you need a better RCA cable. but the real problem is your using mini RCA that Y splits into regular left right channel RCA cable... if you understand that... its your reason for the hissing
it's not that it's the deck itself....even when i have nothing hooked up it hisses, i just went and bought impedence converters and wired it into the deck. I'm thinking i might get an ipod adapter and use that for the input...any other ideas?
Old 03-14-2006
Registered!!

paradoxblue will become famous soon enough
its a groudning issue. run find a metal ground on your laptop.. a screw the goes in. or inside the battery pack maybe. and ground your lappy to your car close to the decks ground.

should solve your problem toot sweet

et me knwo if that works. it did for me with my xbox. which is a pc in th general sense with the same rpoblem on my clarion
Old 03-14-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

i just went and bought a ground loop isolator and it helped sound clarity but the hiss is still there, it's something in the deck itself...i'll have nothing hooked up to it at all and the hiss is still coming through, i do have i little altenator whine so i'm thinkin it might be a ground problem....but i dont hear it on cds or radio...i'm confuzed
Old 03-15-2006
Registered!!

paradoxblue will become famous soon enough
it is a ground problem.. groudn yoru lappy like i said and plug her in.. and youll see its gone.. as for a hiss when laptop isnt plugged in. its picking up interference fromt he cables and so forth crap. same problem has no where to groudn that to so it lets u hear it hehe..

umm try this
if you know enough about rca cables. the outside metals ring is ground. see if u can hack into each cable. create a comon ground and run that to the chasis of the car.

you have a ground issue cause even though people install the rca's there designed for incar things. I.E. dvd player. which is designed to ground itelf incar. things like a lappy, pc, xbox so such arnt designed to ground them selves properly. hence why they mostly use two prong a/c plugs isntead of groudned 3 prong

do as i said. ground your laptop. pop open the batter area. find a case screw toushin metal. lift it slide a wire in there and groudn the wire. see if it kills the hiss with the laptop installed. if it does great im pretty sure it will. as for unplugged u need to either detach the cables. or find a proper way t groudnt hem to the casis when not in use.

simply decks are designed to have rca in but not designed properly

i have a high end clarion i get the same thing. its luck fo the draw
Old 03-15-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

I'll try that but the laptop also has a crappy sound card so tonight i built a preamp for it to clean the sound up, i used a dual-gain style with a ne5532an dual op-amp coupled with a ne5534an's for each channel...I just smoked one of the ne5532an's cuz of a "wiring issue" (aka me getting +18v and -18v mixed up). even without grounding the laptop the one channel of it that worx sounds sooooooooo much better.

for those of you that dont know what the hell i just said i just made myself a purty new preamp that doubles the input volume of my laptop with only one **** up....

I'm still going to try the grounding of the rcas but i dont think it'll help cuz when i disconnect the rcas from the back of the deck the hiss is still there...i think that i'm just overdriving the inputs on the deck itself by sending this chincy laptop signal too it. I'll still do it though, it wont do anthing but help it; and plus it'll be easy to do when i hook up the preamp, only one more wire, so y not?

Last edited by booba5185; 03-15-2006 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-15-2006
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute
so you are telling me that you are using your laptop with rca input of the deck...

well the hiss is coming from the ground loop...let me elaborate

your car has battery voltage with reference to the GND or chassis ground….12V to the chassis
Also your laptop has ground with respect to the laptop battery….your pc battery voltage to the ground….

The problem occurs these two ground are not relative to each other…I am saying that these two grounds are totally different grounds…

Your deck will see through RCA some voltage(signal) from your laptop….but this signal coming into the RCA will have a reference of car battery ground…
Also the signal from the laptop will have a signal...

------- this is your signal from laptop

------- this is your (laptop or car) ground..
------- this is your (car or laptop) ground..

-------- this is the absolute ground or earth ground…

when you measure against earth ground, there is a difference…between laptop and car grounds...

but you know all this since you are capable of building an amp….
if you were close to me, i would be able to figure out using equipments from work...

Last edited by Devani; 03-15-2006 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-15-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by booba5185
it's not that it's the deck itself....even when i have nothing hooked up it hisses, i just went and bought impedence converters and wired it into the deck. I'm thinking i might get an ipod adapter and use that for the input...any other ideas?
I had this once by mistake. Some metal part of the unit is directly touching metal connected to the chassis of the car. Most likely its the end of one of the RCA input/output jacks coming out of the unit. I had that problem. Just tape over the rca jacks you aren't using and move them off metal.

And Devani, even if the reference ground for each device is different, I have seen this done before and work well. Also I highly doubt that the difference is that big, as they are both 12V batteries (right?). So the difference should be minimal. If it really is the ground difference making, then we can all discover the beauty of op-amps.

Last edited by diskreet; 03-15-2006 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-15-2006
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute
that metal part touching chassis of the car could be problem...although it never happened to me tho...
Dell inspiron uses 14.8V and Hitachi old one uses 12V thinkpad 1417 uses 9.6V....i have them....idk about all the others...all laptops are different...

ground difference should be minimal like you said...
only way to make sure is to actually see it on a scope...
Old 03-15-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

I dont mean to sound dumb but even with absolutely nothing plugged into the deck it still hisses....but it still a grounding problem with the laptop?
Old 03-15-2006

diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by booba5185
I dont mean to sound dumb but even with absolutely nothing plugged into the deck it still hisses....but it still a grounding problem with the laptop?
Its either the unit is improperly grounded, check that wire, or a metal part of the unit is grounded which is no supposed to be, check the other wires.
Old 03-15-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

Originally Posted by diskreet
Its either the unit is improperly grounded, check that wire, or a metal part of the unit is grounded which is no supposed to be, check the other wires.
this i will do today i just ran out of daylight to do it last night, the reason y i'm sceptical about grounding the laptop is i built all this so it'd be removeable.
Old 03-15-2006

Well, just look at your ground and all your signal wires. If you have RCA terminals not being used make sure to tape over them with like electrical tape or cover them with the caps the HU came with (but they fall off so I suggest tape.)
If you do tape over them, just make it so that if you have to take it off, it will come off easily later, but won't fall off on it's own
Old 03-15-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

as long as the laptop comes out and the mount i have folds down i'm happy...hopefully once i take care of this hiss it'll sound better than cd quality, this preamp sounded pretty damn good (for the channel that worked)

well i taped everything off, and put in a new ground and the hiss is still there....only thing i can think to do at this point is swap out the NE5532AN with a opa2228 on my preamp so it has ALOT more gain than it did before, so i have the deck at a lower volume and hear less hiss

Last edited by booba5185; 03-15-2006 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-15-2006
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
the preamp you built sounds interesting, any schematics??
Old 03-15-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

I've got the schematics of the chips, but the caps and the resistors came on the board...
Old 03-15-2006

this hiss is probably alternator wine. search that and see if you can find some other fixes for it. They make those ground loop isolators and sell them at radioshack, but search around here to find what worked for other people.
sorry i cant reply more but I have tons of homework to do for my math and electrical engineering class right now!
Old 03-15-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

here's a pic of the preamp i just built\installed:

it made a HUGE difference in clarity and volume....i cant find a good place for a ground really...i'm using the metal behind thefuse box right now. I was wondering if i should just screw into the metal brackets around the center console or what?
Old 03-15-2006

ground on any chassis metal as long as you sand off the area first. that way you get the best contact possible.
good idea too, glad you are electronics literate.
Old 03-15-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

I'll try that and see how that works...any ideas if that doesn't work?