I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Blaupunkt San Jose

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bridge is an unknown quantity at this point
Blaupunkt San Jose

I did a search on this Brand, and someone said that their less expensive units weren't that good, and I was wondering if anyone had this deck, and if so what they thought of it. Also, looking at some Rockford Fosgate subs and I was wondering what is an ohm, and which is better more or less. Thanks
Old 02-13-2002
Registered!!

NeonNights is an unknown quantity at this point
I've heard that no Blaupunkt is good, but I've never used one, so I couldn't tell you. As far as ohms go in the stereo world, it deals with how much of a load you are putting on your amp. As far as how many ohms, it depends on how many subs you have, and what kind of amp you have. If you have a mono sub amp, you should probably go with two 4-ohm subs or maybe four 8-ohm subs if you have a good sub amp. If you have a two-channel amp, then you can do this three ways. You can get a really high-powered two-channel amp and wire a sub to each channel, you can get a bridgeable two-channel amp and wire one 4-ohm sub to it in bridged mode, or you can get a two-channel and run two 4-ohm subs off of each channel to get more power by dropping the ohms. If you want to learn a little bit more, go here:
Crutchfield Subs FAQ
Crutchfield How to Choose Subwoofers
Crutchfield Amps FAQ
Crutchfield How to Choose Amps

Hope this helps!!
Old 02-14-2002
Registered!!

DxMaN is an unknown quantity at this point
I have it, and I like it quite a bit. It is a little picky about the MP3's that it plays in that low bitrate MP3s or ones recorded with Xing have occasional chirps in the song. It also won't resume an MP3 when you turn off the car. On the plus side, it does great with ID3s and has a sweet display. It also sounds clean and plays regular CDs with no problem. It also starts the playing of the MP3 cds as fast as a regular CD and doesn't pause in between tracks *cough*Kenwood/Sony*cough*. Overall I'd recommend it if you must have an MP3 deck right now(me), but if you can wait, you might want to for the better decks in a few months.
Old 02-14-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's a little fun fact for y'all

Sony Explod decks and Blaupunkt HU's use all the same internal cicuitry.. so Yer Blau HU is a SOny Explod as far as internal components go. Avoid the HU's [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

Old 02-14-2002
Registered!!

<< Here's a little fun fact for y'all

Sony Explod decks and Blaupunkt HU's use all the same internal cicuitry.. so Yer Blau HU is a SOny Explod as far as internal components go. Avoid the HU's [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
>>

Not to call into question but...well I call that into question. Do you have a link supporting this claim, and what exactly do you mean by internal components? They are based out of Germany (Borsht group?) while Sony is based out of, duh, Japan. I guess there might be similarities, such as microprocessor used, but I wouldn't generalize to the point that you did (not trying to be rude).

Technically my deck and an Alpine all use the same internal circuitry since we are talking about a collection of resistors, capacitors, chokes, semiconductors, and wires.
Old 02-14-2002
Registered!!

Sony Car audio and Blaupunkt car audio are all run from Japan. Blaupunk, a well known devision of Bosch, was bought out by sony (sony owns 47% of the shares in Blaupunkt) The same internal amplifiers, D/A converters, and CD trays are all the same parts for the lower end Blaupunkt HU's and SOny Xplod HU's. The Sony ES and Higher end Blaupunkt HU's use their own internal parts. The lower end HU's use the same parts to increase profits on lower end product sales. The Blau MPA series amps used the same boards os the Sony Xplod amps of the same model years (took them apart to see for myself)

Cheers
Mohawk
Old 02-14-2002
Registered!!

Bridge is an unknown quantity at this point

<< Overall I'd recommend it if you must have an MP3 deck right now(me), but if you can wait, you might want to for the better decks in a few months. >>

How much better?
Old 02-15-2002
Registered!!

well Pioneer is coming out with a HU with a 10GB hard drive [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] $1600 retail though. But they're also coming out with a 6300 and 7300(7400now) MP3 players. Those should be quite good. Also Panasonic is coming out with an improved MP3 player with anti skip memory.

cheers
Mohawk
Old 02-16-2002
Registered!!

Well, you learn something new every day. They must use completely different processors for the MP3 actions since the Sony and Blau have such different playing characteristics. It makes me wonder why Sony would have Blau release a deck that is better at Mp3s then the Sony one is considering they hurt their name with the badged one of less quality. I also wonder why you say to stay away from Sony. I've found them to be fairly reliable...at least as much as Kenwood. They're not Alpine, but they aren't in the same price range, except the ES stuff. Apples to apples, they are a well known (read: big as he!!) company that releases decent consumer gear, IMHO.