I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

L7 Amp ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
half_n_half17 is an unknown quantity at this point
L7 Amp ?

Aight I'm looking for a 1ohm stable amp to push my x-mas gift (12" L7). I've done a bit of research and I've come across a few companies that I don't know very much about, so I thought I'd ask you guys. Orion and Hifonics

http://ikesound.com/product-product_id/2495

and

http://www.acaraudio.com/product_inf...oducts_id=1246
Old 12-27-2005
Registered!!

synod is an unknown quantity at this point
There are way too many electronics companies named "orion". One makes telescopes, and I had an Orion TV when I was younger. However I do know that there are other car audio components produced by a company named "Orion" - I've never heard about their amps but I know they make crappy speakers. They even make a paper cone subwoofer. Crappy. So be careful before buying from them.

Oh, and L7 huh? It'll be so loud you might die. Congrats. :-)
Old 12-27-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by synod
Lol, I've got it hooked up to an old rockford @ 4 ohms and it isn't really that loud, but it's probably better that I break it in at reasonable volumes first. I'm leaning towards the Hifonics but I'd still like to hear some opinions on the amp/brand.
Old 12-27-2005
Registered!!

is hcca one of thier lines?
Old 12-28-2005
let the devil out
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
I use to run hifonics back in the day and they are underrated amps really but you should choose what you want the system to sound like. if your going SPL then yea both amps would be fine if your going for SQL which I doubt with aL7 then something a bit smaller would be fine. Don't forget about PG, arc audio, xtant, memphis, MTX, JL Audio, Planet Audio,audison and a plethra of other amps so do more research on box design and then choose the right amp for your need.

my .0002 cents
Old 12-28-2005
7thGen's Loudest Civic...4,000 watts and climbing...

usafcushman is on a distinguished road
first, i say don't push that much power to the sub, it's completely unnecessary...

i was running a Hifonics BX1500D at 1-ohm to a pair of S12L7s, and it was the most powerful amp i'd ever run before i switched to my modded KX1200.1s... a BX1800D will fry your sub... since you're already looking at Hifonics on Ikesound.com, check out the BX1000D... much more suitable for your application, and it's less expensive...
Old 12-28-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by usafcushman
first, i say don't push that much power to the sub, it's completely unnecessary...

i was running a Hifonics BX1500D at 1-ohm to a pair of S12L7s, and it was the most powerful amp i'd ever run before i switched to my modded KX1200.1s... a BX1800D will fry your sub... since you're already looking at Hifonics on Ikesound.com, check out the BX1000D... much more suitable for your application, and it's less expensive...
Yeah I made a mistake when I inserted the link. I meant to link to the one you recommended.
Old 12-28-2005

Originally Posted by half_n_half17
Yeah I made a mistake when I inserted the link. I meant to link to the one you recommended.
then i say go for it ... there are a million different amps that would be suitable for your setup, and the BX1000D is as good as any, especially at that price...
Old 12-29-2005
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by synod
There are way too many electronics companies named "orion". One makes telescopes, and I had an Orion TV when I was younger. However I do know that there are other car audio components produced by a company named "Orion" - I've never heard about their amps but I know they make crappy speakers. They even make a paper cone subwoofer. Crappy. So be careful before buying from them.

If you ever make a post like this again I am seriously going to reach through the internet and punch you in the throat.

Orion is a fine company, some of their equipment dominates the competition circuit. MANY companies make paper cone speakers, some audiophiles will prefer paper over other materials. They make great speakers, great amps, great subwoofers.

And I hope your last comment was a joke, lol.
Old 12-29-2005
Banned

MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
I think an L7 would handle 1800wrms fine I've seen them take far more
Old 12-29-2005

Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
I think an L7 would handle 1800wrms fine I've seen them take far more
i agree... when i bought my new S12L7s, i decided to have some fun with the old ones... i ran a modded KX1200.1 (each ~1610 watts @ 1 ohm) to each one, put on the variable sine wave test track on Bass Mekanik v5.0, and cranked the volume to around 32 out of 40...

i thought the subs would practically turn themselves inside out with that much power, but the only thing that broke was the dual-chambered sealed box they were in... it was a prefab box with an angled back, and it separated the backpiece from the rest of the box on 3 sides

but anyway, while you and i would both eagerly run such a system (i'm running the 2 KX1200.1s mentioned above to 4 S12L7s), i doubt the majority of our comrades here would exceed ~800 watts (which is STILL more than sufficient to push this sub), so i still say go for the BX1000D...

just my $.02

edit: one more thing: i'm with MegaHurtz on the Orion issue... they have some sick *** gear...
Old 12-29-2005
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
actually according to kicker's amp to sub guide 750 watts is plenty enough to make this L7 pound.. so why overkill it to death with 1000 plus.. come on and use common sense
Old 12-29-2005

Originally Posted by eye_see_you
actually according to kicker's amp to sub guide 750 watts is plenty enough to make this L7 pound.. so why overkill it to death with 1000 plus.. come on and use common sense
Hifonics is not CEA-2006 compliant, meaning that the BX1000D is going to be putting out more like 750-850 watts... have some faith in us, we know what we are talking about
Old 12-30-2005
Registered!!

EastBayStuntN is an unknown quantity at this point
ok, here is what i know from months of researching of car audio forums. majority of my opinion is based on people who owned orion and hifonics. however, i have owned hifonics amps before...specifically the brutus lineup.

as for hifonics, they are overrated amps. i currently have an brutus bx1000d and i can bet it does not do its 1000watt rated power in my civic with the factory equipment. however, i am sure with an high output alternator and other neccesary electrical upgrades, you'll be seeing 9xx watts easily with an bx1000d. hifonics in general are overrated, but their price range make up for it. to sum it up, hifonics do about 85% of their rated power.

heres an photo of an hifonics brutus bx1500d (1500rms watt) amp:

orion...from what i read from on www.caraudio.com , these amps are very considerable. they give the mainstream competitors a run for their money when it comes to amps. i also read on the same forum orion amps are current hoggers...meaning, it would be a smart idea to invest into an HO alternator and a good battery. maybe its only the 2500D their referring too but i think the civic would handle the orion 1200d.

if you got the funds for the orion 1200d, shoot for it. but honestly, its too much for a single 12" L7 unless you're 100% sure know what you're exactly doing and fine tuning the box for it to handle that much juice on such big load.

but lets start off with what kind of budget you're working with here for just the amp
Old 12-30-2005
let the devil out

Originally Posted by usafcushman
Hifonics is not CEA-2006 compliant, meaning that the BX1000D is going to be putting out more like 750-850 watts... have some faith in us, we know what we are talking about
I know what i'm talking about to before you start something I was just say use some common sense and give the sub whats recommended unless he is planning on SPL competition.
Old 12-30-2005
Registered!!

Thanks for all of the input. I've been doing some research about the two compaines as well and I've found some pretty consistent opinions. Hifonics has decent equipment but their ratings are overrated. Orion makes good equipment and of course their products are a bit more expensive. In terms of my needs... I'm not competing for SPL but i'm not a complete sub noob. I've got my L7 in a vented box @ ~ 2 cubic feet. Basically I'm looking for an amp that's going to push the sub a little more than my 400 watt (maybe if lightning strikes it) fosgate 2 channel. In terms of budget it would be nice to spend less, but if it's going to end up costing more because the cheaper one keeps frying... i'd rather spend the money and git er dun right.

Another question though. How important is a sub-sonic filter cuz the hifonics has one and the orion doesn't.

Last edited by half_n_half17; 12-30-2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-30-2005

Originally Posted by eye_see_you
I know what i'm talking about to before you start something I was just say use some common sense and give the sub whats recommended unless he is planning on SPL competition.
WHOA, didn't mean to make that sound like you didn't know what YOU were talking about... just showing that WE know WE'RE talking about as well... maybe the little dude made that seem like a smartass comment... either way, sorry about that, no disrespect meant...

as you can see from EastBayStuntN's post above, the BX1500D is only putting out 981 watts @1 ohm off of 13 volts and 1360 @14.4 volts...

with this in mind, the BX1000D would be EXACTLY what's recommended...

so props to eye_see_you for lookin out for you, and props to me for telling you to buy the BX1000D like a week ago lol...

Originally Posted by half_n_half17
How important is a sub-sonic filter cuz the hifonics has one and the orion doesn't
subsonic filters do exactly what the name states: filter out the frequencies that are below your range of hearing...

as anybody that has ever watched their sub play knows, lower frequencies/deeper bass equals greater cone excursion... a subsonic filter in a ported box is especially important because it does not provide the acoustic suspension that a good sealed box would have, and the resulting massive excursion while you're jammin out to your Lil Jon CD could literally rip the internals of your nice expensive sub apart... there are several problems that could result from not having a subsonic filter, but if fvckin up your sub isn't a good enough reason to get one, then the other reasons wouldn't be lol...

Cliff's Notes: yes, you need a subsonic filter... get the Hifonics

edit: rep me, cuz i'm lol
Old 12-30-2005
Banned

It will sound far better with the extra 1000w and it will not be getting "overkilled to death" as you put it. Personally I think more power is ALWAYS better.
Old 12-30-2005
Registered!!

EastBayStuntN is an unknown quantity at this point
for an single 12" L7, id personally go with an hifonics brutus bx1000d...you WILL be getting at least the full 750rms and have a little more on the safe side rather than running not too much more actual watts that puts equipment at higher risk if not used properly.
but if you were a audio pro and knew what you were doing, shoot for the bx1205d or bx1500d
subsonic filter is very neccesary if your going ported.
Old 12-30-2005

Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
Personally I think more power is ALWAYS better.
*sigh* come on, man you're killing me... i'm trying to be moderate in my recommendations, but you KNOW i agree with you...
Old 01-02-2006
Registered!!

illmatic1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you can get your hands on a Zapco, get one. They are by far the best amps on this planet. I got a Studio 500 that is rated at 1000x1 hooked up to 4 JL 10W3's and it pounds like hell with the gains down. Trust me you can't go wrong with a Zapco amp. It'll make that sub start dancing.
Old 01-02-2006
Registered!!

HonCivX02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by varner88
my cousin has orion amp like 1200 watts running 2 orion h2's and they hit soo hard and clean.

btw orion hcca and h2 brand speakers were the loudest hitting sub on the market not less then a year ago/
who gave you this info?
Old 01-02-2006
Registered!!

chriscivic is an unknown quantity at this point
look at the directed 1100d, the orion 1200d, viper 1200.1,the kicker kx1200.1, rockford bd1500, etc. there is lots to chose from, any of the above would work great