I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Alarm wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ken_chiba is an unknown quantity at this point
Alarm wiring question

I have an older CodeAlarm PC4200 that I'm trying to put into a 2005 Civic Si (Canadian model) - which I believe is a US Civic LX (coupe). I've taken a look at the wiring guides and at the forums, but can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. Here's what I'm trying to do. The vehicle already has a factory perimeter (door) alarm and immobilizer. I simply want to utilize the motion detection/shock feature of the Code. I would prefer to keep using the Honda factory remote, and I believe my alarm will allow for this.

My alarm has two wires that I believe would be relevant:
- Factory alarm arm - registers ground when driver's door is locked with key (or remote)
- Factory alarm disarm - registers ground when driver's door is unlocked with key (or remote)

And to make things more fun, I tried looking for the "factory alarm plug" - apparently green, and can't find it. There's a lot of white plugs, and one larger white plug that plugs into a blue socket "near" that area - but no green plug! Also, the wiring guides refer to a "disarm defeat" - a yellow wire at the back of the fusebox: is this anything I can use?

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2005
Registered!!

Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
You're not going to be able to use the codealarm with your factory remote, that's just not possible. Now if your car has a factory alarm meaning you open your door with it set and the alarm triggers then you must defeat it first before beginning install on the new alarm. You can't use the two in conjunction.
Old 10-19-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the rough
the factory alarm plug is under the dash to the left of the steering column
Old 10-19-2005
Registered!!

Thanks Wildrice,

Are there any alarms out there that will add motion/trunk-intrusion detection to the factory alarm (does the Honda add-on do this)? Or are there any good places to get more information as to the wiring of after-market alarms (I couldn't seem to find much on 7thgen). I'm ok with doing wiring - I've already hooked up a new HU, subs, etc... just kinda lost on what hardware I need for an alarm.

Actually, what I'm really trying to accomplish is having a flashing red-light on my steering column/dash when the system is armed. I know this sounds cheezy... but right now there's nothing.

After doing a little more reading... I think my car only has an immobilizer - and not a perimeter alarm as I had originally thought. So... I guess the question becomes... is there any way that I can use an aftermarket alarm, and still use my Honda remote?

Thanks again.

Last edited by ken_chiba; 10-19-2005 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-20-2005
Registered!!

Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
Let me just clarify some key points:

1. Perimeter and trunk sensors are two different things. Way different. In fact there isn't a such thing as a trunk sensor. Now there is a switch that is triggered by the opening of the trunk which causes the little indicator to light up on the gauge cluster. To which you can wire your alarm up to it to protect the trunk.

2. Wiring up an alarm is a little more difficult than wiring up a HU/amp/subs. Way more difficult. There's alot of important wires under the dash that can potentially cause major problems if you screw something up. If something does happen and you did it yourself, there is no one to blame other than yourself. Consider taking it to a proffessional.

3. If you do install an aftermarket alarm, you can still use your Honda remote to lock/unlock the doors but it won't arm/disarm. So the answer is no.
Old 10-20-2005
Victory is Mine!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

justplainbad is on a distinguished road
3. If you do install an aftermarket alarm, you can still use your Honda remote to lock/unlock the doors but it won't arm/disarm. So the answer is no.[/QUOTE]

Actually, thats not entirely accurate, There is a way to make Directed Security systems work with Factory Remotes, but It's not a very well known thing.
Old 10-20-2005
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
where are you located?
Old 10-20-2005
Registered!!

Thanks all for the replies. I'm located in Ontario (Canada)... I've previously installed the Code 4200 in my 1998 Civic - no problems doing it - but it didn't have the toys like keyless remotes & such, hence me asking about the possibility of them working together.

I think I will just end up picking up the Honda factory remote - there seems to be 2 options on collegehillshonda - either of which should work fine.

Thanks again for your input!