I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2 Subs, why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
82801BA is an unknown quantity at this point
2 Subs, why?

Why some of the guys here use 2 subs? Can anyone give me a reasonable explaination?
Old 09-30-2005
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
cause i have really bad OCD and i like things to be even.
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

02nithwkcivcpe is an unknown quantity at this point
3 more dB
Old 09-30-2005

vietstylez will become famous soon enough
looks cooler.
Old 09-30-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
my friend has 4 JL 13W7's in his 06 altima se-R...it hits so hard that on his brand new car he broke the trunk latch and the trunk popped open...he now has it reinforced with more sound insulation and a heavy duty latch haha...its crazy when all of the subs are rated 4000 rms and he has overpowered amps
Old 09-30-2005
jdmtytedoridori
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ragingSPAM
my friend has 4 JL 13W7's in his 06 altima se-R...it hits so hard that on his brand new car he broke the trunk latch and the trunk popped open...he now has it reinforced with more sound insulation and a heavy duty latch haha...its crazy when all of the subs are rated 4000 rms and he has overpowered amps
thats crazy, and those are nice cars....cept the dealer by me has one sitting on the lot, and they put chrome 20s on it
Old 09-30-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Some people like the added 3 decibels(average) (which is about twice as loud as it would be with one) that getting a second sub adds.
Old 09-30-2005
Ashho-san 7thgen Ninja

Ashhole will become famous soon enoughAshhole will become famous soon enough
i dunno y i use 2. just do. nearly shook the OEM wing off my trunk with 'em too had to bolt that thing back on tight.
Old 09-30-2005

k20txem2 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would go with the fact that it spreads the bass more evenly across the car. Remember when sound waves travel the spead and get farther apart, So when you add two the frequence of those waves are a little closer together and the sound is spread a little more evenly. but thats just my .02 cents
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

sweeteli99 will become famous soon enoughsweeteli99 will become famous soon enough
hm, don't know why people like to get subs up the ***, where their whole car and cars around them shaking...

me, i'm fine with my one 10"
Old 09-30-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
it has alot to do with the setup of the box. one sub gives you some options but two gives you alot more. its a deeper sound with 2. its louder obviously. and if one blows, then you can tell imidieatly. at least you have one to bang with till you fix the other one. i had two subs. its not the same as 1. i always will want at least 2 just cause 1 is not enough. unless its a W7 lol then thats plenty
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
because i had the money for 2 so i bought 2. i sold car audio and the only time you would push one sub is if the person couldnt afford 2.
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MajinB
it has alot to do with the setup of the box. one sub gives you some options but two gives you alot more. its a deeper sound with 2. its louder obviously. and if one blows, then you can tell imidieatly. at least you have one to bang with till you fix the other one. i had two subs. its not the same as 1. i always will want at least 2 just cause 1 is not enough. unless its a W7 lol then thats plenty
2 can play deeper? You sure? If input is x=sin(w(t)) and you have 2 identical sub how can you play deeper if the response is to be the same? Unless you cut off all shity bumps from 63+region, I don't see advantages of it...
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

sweeteli99 will become famous soon enoughsweeteli99 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by nick95673
and the only time you would push one sub is if the person couldnt afford 2.
that pisses me off, and is entirely false. i can afford enough subs to shake my entire block,

i have one 10" because i choose not to mess up my car like that, i just wanted a small thump, not a huge one.

i've been in cars that have had 2 12's in it for a couple of months, and you hear all the squeaks and stuff like that, sounds gross...

some people use their money for other more important things. thats like seeing a millionaire in a honda accord, he can afford most anything out there, but chooses not to.
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sweeteli99
hm, don't know why people like to get subs up the ***, where their whole car and cars around them shaking...

me, i'm fine with my one 10"
What I think the other way is that, most installer turn speaker amps gain higher than it should and the front/rear stage become very loud, so that the sub seemed non-existed. In another word....The installer wants more money from you guys, that's it......

The experience came from installation on a 4ch amp, where the installer turned the gain up to 1V(!!), and my sub "disappeared" even at gain=0.5(max)....Reversing the installation, put gain down to 4V, then even the minimum gain in sub I still get descent sub bass(soft, comfortable bass, not those punching 80Hz midbass that always punch my back)
Old 09-30-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
damn, good q. ok, the sub spreads air, thats what it does. it vibrates the air at certain frequencies to make the sound. whatever sound the input goes into the amp. so if you have 1 sub making the vibration versus 2, the two would have an easier time cause they would be synched together. damn i can't explain it all that well. they play off of each other better.
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

filipinoguy05 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have 2 10's.. I still get the nice thump, but most importantly I get crisp bass with it too... I hate people with the bass turned up so loud you can't even hear the actual music anymore.
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sweeteli99
that pisses me off, and is entirely false. i can afford enough subs to shake my entire block,

i have one 10" because i choose not to mess up my car like that, i just wanted a small thump, not a huge one.

i've been in cars that have had 2 12's in it for a couple of months, and you hear all the squeaks and stuff like that, sounds gross...

some people use their money for other more important things. thats like seeing a millionaire in a honda accord, he can afford most anything out there, but chooses not to.

i wasnt trying to attack you dont take offense but i can guarantee you i could of sold you 2 subs. i have had 55 year old granpas come in hating subs just buying one cheap black sony for their grandkid. then have them leave with all fosgate power series (2)subs and amps for their car all financed. And i would be able to get them to buy the 2 black sonys for the grand kid.
i have 2 12's normally you cant hear it outside of my car and i have the gains way down. however if i want to i can turn it up and shake everyones car when i want. every once in a while its fun to put on some tool and have it loud enough people on the freeway going 65 get pist.

Last edited by nick95673; 09-30-2005 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by nick95673
i wasnt trying to attack you dont take offense but i can guarantee you i could of sold you 2 subs. i have had 55 year old granpas come in hating subs just buying one cheap black sony for their grandkid. then have them leave with all fosgate power series (2)subs and amps for their car all financed. And i would be able to get them to buy the 2 black sonys for the grand kid.
i have 2 12's normally you cant hear it outside of my car and i have the gains way down. however if i want to i can turn it up and shake everyones car when i want. every once in a while its fun to put on some tool and have it loud enough people on the freeway going 65 get pist.
no offense taken, but it's all personal taste.

what led me to buy just 1 10" was those ricers that have 2 15's in their trunk where all you hear is the bass, and nothing more. i consider that rice.

i use my trunk for stuff, i didn't want a huge box in my trunk where i wouldn't be able to put anything in there...
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

ashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to behold
i like two subs cause i like to FEEL bass, not just hear it. Thats not to say i dont appreciate sound quality tho. I have 2 JL 12w3's in a box, but its entirely custom.

the box has a spilt dividing the two subs, with a port on each side. Each sub has its own amp. when the volume is low, the sound is amazing, but when i crank it, u can really feel the bass, and sound quality isn't compromised either.

My buddy has 2 JL 12's in a regular ported box, and they hit pretty hard, however, they ALWAYS hit hard, even at low volumes, so he has to mess with his equalizers.

I didn't want that, so i went with 2, so when i crank it, i get the hard hitting effect, but yet have the sq i want at low levels.
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

4doorPimP is an unknown quantity at this point
i have 2 12" phoenix golds and it bumps like crazy ..used to be cool...now im planning on selling it and getting 1 10" ...2 12"s is much too heavy
Old 09-30-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
im gonna shove 4 13W7's in my trunk haha...just so i can get multiple tickets for it
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ragingSPAM
im gonna shove 4 13W7's in my trunk haha...just so i can get multiple tickets for it
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

4doorPimP is an unknown quantity at this point
im pretty sure 4 13w7's will shake and rattle loose every single screw in the car...which will fall apart eventually in the middle of the freeway..leaving you sitting in the fastlane holding a steering wheel =D that would be cool
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

Pitch_BlacK is an unknown quantity at this point
IMO its your own choice whether you want 1 or more subs. I decided not to put subs on mine. I'm satisfied with my 4 JL Audio XR's. Some people are just showing off so they can be heard in their whole neighborhood but sometimes that just attracts thieves by letting them know that you got a loud system.
Old 09-30-2005
BOOSTED DOHC i-VTEC

stl01civic is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^ Totally agree. It is just a way to attracts thieves. My friend love to show off his system. Honda Accord w/ H22 swap. He has 2 x Rockforge HX2, Alpine 1507 amp, and Alpine Indash DVD.
He got a gun point to his face, and force him out of the car. Found the car 5 hours later. Car is in 1 piece expect all audio and video are GONE. Worth over 4k of invest.
Old 09-30-2005
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Because it looks cool
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

clrumivier4life is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a single 12" alpine type-r because I just needed to feel Mike Portnoys bass drum. It worked better than I expected.
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

dont live your life in fear!
Old 09-30-2005
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
wiring capability in some cases depending on what sub is chosen.. otherwise.. I'm not sure we normally have two subs?

Quick Reply: 2 Subs, why?