I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)
View Poll Results: Navigation: Worth it or Waste of Money?
Worth it
69.10%
Waste of Money
30.90%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Navigation: Worth it or Waste of Money?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005
Cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to behold
Navigation: Worth it or Waste of Money?

Let's hear it guys. I wanna hear your opinons on this.

Do you think navigation really serves a purpose or is it just for looks/show?
Old 09-12-2005
Registered!!

Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
Definately worth it if you are using it for business purposes, It is then considered a valuable tool.

If you are just using it for personal use then it might be a consideration, if you tend to travel alot.

If you are using it for showing off, then forget about it.

They have definately dropped in price also, you can get a good unit around $500-$650 that has all the features (touchscreen, voice promts, maps)
Old 09-12-2005
Registered!!

MagicRacing18 will become famous soon enoughMagicRacing18 will become famous soon enough
I think its a waist just because it cost so much. If prices were to come down, it might be worth it but untill then a map will do just fine.

~n~
Old 09-12-2005
Registered!!

Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
Pros:
  • No cost for service or updates, just plug and play
  • detailed maps of major roads, small roads and POI (points of interests)
  • Prices are dropping
  • easy to use, touch screen/voice prompts ( don't really need to look at it)
  • Aftermarket units are a good cheaper alternative to factory installed ones

Cons:
  • some theif can just come grab it
  • Not useful if just for the average driver (business/traveler ok)
  • Aftermarket screens are typically smaller than factory ones

Good brands are Garmin, Magaellan for the aftermarket ones.
Old 09-12-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
worth it, most of the times its worth it if your going to some place you dont know , and it can direct you right there, depends on if you want one that attaches to the window or if you want some fancy 7 in flip out screen with navigation and all that, where its expensive, so it can be useful and afforable -handheld one that attaches to window, my dad was upset cause he didnt get the factory one in his pilot but loves the one where he puts on the windshield , it talks to him and tells him how to get anywhere
Old 09-12-2005
Owned By Slo Rex

Day_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questioned
Worth it... my dad has it in his TSX and it really comes in handy
Old 09-12-2005
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
i personally can use a thomas guide twice as quickly as i could use an avic n1. but my gf i am saving up to buy her one. she gets lost quick. there are lil tricks to find your ways around every town and the nation. like if you looking for jefferson st its probably within 5 blocks of washington rd and franklin blvd same thing with elm blvd oak st and pin rd. or if your lookin for 3600 a st its at the corner of 36th and a and 4500 c st is at 45th and c st. all the odd# interstates go north to south and the lower the # the further west it is all the even go east to west and the lower the # the further south it is.

Last edited by nick95673; 09-12-2005 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-12-2005
Registered!!

sweeteli99 will become famous soon enoughsweeteli99 will become famous soon enough
way worth it, i have it in my car, and when i go places and need to find a gas station or restaurant near me, bam - navigation tells me the nearest to me, and distance from where i am, and will also guide me to this place.

very accurate, didn't cost much, and i don't know how i did with out it !

i also use it to let me know when i'm speeding. it beeps at me when i'm going 5mph over the limit.

gps i have is earthmate lt-20 cost about $100 and program i use is iguidance .

and yes, i have a carputer.
Old 09-12-2005
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
I think it's worth it, but that's because I'm lost by the time I get out of my driveway.
Old 09-12-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
there nice
Old 09-12-2005
Premium Member

SomeDoodToo will become famous soon enoughSomeDoodToo will become famous soon enough
Woth it i havent found a good price on one yet but im getting it for my car when i sell my 7" fold out...My gramps has it on his ls430 and i love using it.....I also have it on my cell phone right now untill i get one for my car.....And i use it alot its cool it even talks to u like the ones in cars
Old 09-12-2005
Registered!!

02cvcEX will become famous soon enough02cvcEX will become famous soon enough
has anybody seen the '06 civic sedan/coupe/Si w/o the navi? pics?
Old 09-12-2005
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
I might get it in my next car cuz navigation looks cool.
Old 09-12-2005
A03
Registered!!

A03 is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought one of the Garmin streetpilots that talks with directions. I do a lot of traveling and that thing has come in handy more times than I could count. It's a beautiful thing, you can be 400 miles from home in an area you've never been to before and it knows where everything is at. Hotels, parks, food, gas.. anything you need is there, with talking directions, distance, time to destination, phone numbers even.

The only thing I am seeing now is that I sorta wish I would have spent the money for one of the nice headunits that has navi built in. They are a heck of chunk of change still, and I couldn't spent it then.. but today if I didn't already have the streetpilot, I'd seriously consider a good Navi HU.

If you travel a lot to different places, you'll love it. I hope any car I buy in the future will have it as a factory option, if not I'll continue using the streetpilot.
Old 09-12-2005
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
these things r definatly worth it if u travel alot and need to use it.

if u just have one because your can then ur gay
Old 09-12-2005
It's Nice To Be Important, But It's More Important To Be Nice.

Fiji_Blue_EM2 is just really niceFiji_Blue_EM2 is just really niceFiji_Blue_EM2 is just really niceFiji_Blue_EM2 is just really niceFiji_Blue_EM2 is just really nice
I think they're worth it -

I get lost all the time
Old 09-12-2005
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I'm horrible with driving directions. I always ask ppl to go places w/ me so I don't get lost.
Old 09-12-2005
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
my girlfriend always thought the GPS was stupid. Then I said we should go on a date, and suggested a spur of the moment trip to Carmel-by-the-Sea. Without doing any research, without looking up any directions, we jumped in the car and just left.

we had a wonderful time.

I dont think she is 100% anti-GPS anymore.......
Old 09-12-2005
I spend way too much time on this website

LowSky is an unknown quantity at this point
i really dont see the point of navigation in your car unless you travel alot.

it might be great if you live in Chicago or LA or NYC, or any other big city, but if you live in some off the map small town i bet you know ecxactly where your going.

plus why spend money for a navi unit when mapquest and google are free
Old 09-12-2005
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
cat you silly bitch

if you really want navigation, it's cool to have. if you have the money to spend and are willing to spend it, go for it, it's an awesome addition to your car. it's not an asset though.... i couldn't say it's either "worth it" OR "just for show", but if you want it, get it, it's cool to have. probably more worth it than just for show though, because it actually performs a function, and an extremely useful one at that.
Old 09-12-2005
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
It all depends on the person. If you travel a lot to unknown places then its worth it. If you commute to work or a couple regular places every day then its pointless.
Old 09-12-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
I love my avic-n1, but if i hadn't gotten it at such a great price, i wouldnt have it. I use it very often, but not enough to justify the retail price. It has lots of stuff i don't use that were appealing to me at first, ie. dvd playing capability; ive used it maybe once. And as far as being for show...my screen is ONLY out when i need it, otherwise it is tucked away in the dash.
Old 09-12-2005
that little dude

slick will become famous soon enoughslick will become famous soon enough
I had an Eclipse AVN 5435 for a couple months. Thought it was a good all in one unit with a rocking NAV system, but the NAV portion barely got used. Took a trip to Toronto and boy was it helpful, didn't get lost once. Its like anything you buy, its only worth it if you use it. I don't need a NAVI to go from home to school or to the store or whatever, and I don't travel much, trip to Toronto was rare.
NAV units are nice, but worthless unless you travel a lot (to new, unfamiliar areas).
Old 09-12-2005

slammedcivic85 is an unknown quantity at this point
dude i love the pioneer navi system it talks to you and tells you where to turn. lol where can you go wrong with gettin it i kno it takes a few minutes setting it up but it might save you an hour of driving around lost. I think it is one of the best things made for cars now a days
Old 09-13-2005
Registered!!

MoniraInc is an unknown quantity at this point
i have it and its worth it. but i went a way cheaper router. i have a pda w/ bluetooth and then bought a $99 gps receiver to hook up to the pda. I downloaded some mapping software onto the pda and it's been working well for the last few months. its not really permanent a thing. I store the gps receiver in my glove compartment most of the time. I don’t use it often enough (cause I know how to get to most of the places I’m going) to get a permanent one but if you get lost once in a while I’d suggest a cheaper one.
Old 09-13-2005
Registered!!

05reverb is an unknown quantity at this point
worth it, I sold my desktop computer and got a laptop and bought the program Microsoft streets & trips 2005 with the GPS device, so you plug the GPS device in your laptop and your laptop becomes a GPS. It's only 149.99$ CAD for that program.
Old 09-13-2005
Cat

Cat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
cat you silly bitch
stfu ryan.

thanks for the input buddy.
Old 09-13-2005
Proud to be a civic owner

es2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
i think it's a lifesaver!
in case you get lost and you don't have a map.. it's very handy for emergency use i believe
Old 09-14-2005
Video Game & Movie Whore!

SlvrLx26 will become famous soon enough
I think it's worth it! If i had to choose between 18" wheels and tires or Navi, Navi all the way!
Old 09-14-2005
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
It's totally worth it.
I spent $300 on new dell x50v pda with lots of discount coupons
and another $200 on gps with igudiance software.

Works well, very accurate.

Quick Reply: Navigation: Worth it or Waste of Money?