I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

questions about speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicxtc is an unknown quantity at this point
questions about speakers

i read sumwhere that stock civic sedan speakers r 6.5 for both front and rear, ive taken the grills off and took a quik measurement of the stock speakers, my rears r 6.5 but my fronts r about 12cm, does that mean i can only get 5''s for front?? or will 6.5 still fit fine??

also id like sum suggestions on speakers, im leaning towards gettn 2 pairs of pioneer tsa1681s's - assuming 6.5 will fit front. all brands will b considered

im new to car audio but also i read sumwhere that u shud overpower ur speakers rather then underpower sooo this means wit my sony xplod head unit, that i shud get speakers of only 50rms or lower?? btw i assume my head unit puts out about 50watts but it cud b only 45 as it is a older model sony xplod. if it does then the tsa1681s (50rms) wud b underpowered??

sorry for the noobness, ne help wud b aprreciated
Old 08-22-2005
Registered!!

woops 4got to include that i have a aus 95 civic sedan
Old 08-22-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Um you should not overpower speakers. Its not good to underpower them either. And most decks I know are only 15-20wrms if that. My alpine deck only puts out 18wrms. So a typical speaker is maybe rated to handle 60wrms, most decks would underpower them. Next step is get an amp, something that puts out say 40wrms per channel and that would be alot better. Remember peak watts mean absolutely nothing.
Old 08-22-2005
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
what kind of music do you listen too? what is your price range? and be very specific as to what you expect out of the speakers when your finished. then we can help a lil bit better otherwise you cant go in the 100 dollar and under per set range with boston ac's fx series or the alpine type-s pioneers do give off great mids though. so be specific as to what you want and what you want to spend. also is a shop doing the work or are you?
Old 08-22-2005
Registered!!

so if i wantd to replace just my factory speakers -no matter wat speakers size/rms- i wud need an amp to run them??
Old 08-22-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
i have got my dad 6.5 inch speakers for his 95 civic on the fronts and it was fine. no prob fitting at all. hope that helps. and no you don't need an amp to run them, if you wanted to you could get a small amp about 300 watt and you should be fine for 4 speakers. if you wanted also you could just get a better head unit and that would power the speakers nicely
Old 08-22-2005
Registered!!

i listen to tekno all the time, meaning lots of bass but my rear speakers r blown so yer, doesnt do my music any justice
money isnt too much of a issue but i dont wanna spend more then $200-250 for a set
and id probly install the speakers myself as its easy, unless i need an amp to run them as - i think - gearbox implied
Old 08-22-2005

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
a set of 6 and a halfs should not run more than 100 bucks. and it is very easy to install. remove cover, unscrew the screws, carefully remove leads from the speaker and then put in the new one. just hook up the leads to the new one, screw in some screws and your done.
Old 08-22-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Here is my setup. It sounds amazing for a budget system and you can do all the install yourself. Its easy just look here or ask anyone for help. An amp is recommended for new speakers, but you also need a better deck with more power cause stock sucks.

My setup
Alpine cda-9847 $200
Infinity reference speakers 6.5 all around $200
Infinity ref tweeters $80
alpine 40wx4 speaker amp $200
amp wire kit $60
dynamat xtream and xorb ~$100

so for around $600 you can have a sweet sounding system and you prolly won't need subs if you do a good install. I can get those 6.5 speakers to shake the mirrors.

ps. i also listen to alot of trance and smaller speakers produce tighter bass = better sounding.
Old 08-22-2005
Registered!!

thnx majin b, so for $200ish, wud 2 pairs of pioneer tsa1681s's b the best or cud i go for sumfin betta?
Old 08-22-2005
Premium Member

i spent over $2k on my first system because I didn't know how to install and bought overpriced crap from CC. Now I know better. I wish I could've had the setup I have now when I first did audio.
Old 08-22-2005
Registered!!

woah slowdown gearbox, this is just my parents car, i dun wanna spend dat much but i still drive it around every now and then so my price range is only about $200ish
wud this b enuff for TWO sets of 6.5's??
and if i did buy 2 pairs of pioneers i suggestd, wat deck wud u recomend?? this will not b included in dat 200 budget( that 200 budget is just for 2 pairs of wateva 6.5 speakers r suggestd)

Last edited by civicxtc; 08-22-2005 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2005

i got 6 and a half pioneers at walmart for around 50 bucks. i like pioneer. i use them in my car and my dads. but i prefer Kenwood headunits. alpine is sweet though. imo the dynomat is a little overkill unless you get a sub or 2. and yeah stocks can shake mirrors too. smaller speakers produce smaller bass. i had 6x9's in my buick and people thought i had subs. then i got subs and it killed. bass is tight sounding when you don't turn it up too loud to make the signal distort and clip. have fun
Old 08-22-2005
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
personally if you wanna keep it cheap and sounding good i would buy a cheap amp like an alpine mrpf240 and run the fron alpine type-s coax off the front channel of the amp and buy a cheap sub like the black sonys and bridge the rear 2 channels to power that if you go with a cde 9843 that will give you the pre-out you need then you can run the rears off your deck. the reason i say buy a sub and dont worry about the rears so much is you will destroy your door speakers tryin to get the doomp doomp of techno out of a 6-1/2.
Old 08-22-2005
Registered!!

o nvm if its 200 total. hmmmm thats a tuffy. where do you live because if its in sacramento i can maybe help with gettin 4 speakers and a deck.
Old 08-22-2005
Registered!!

so nick ur sayin i shud jus replace my rears?? yer my front stocks sound alright, but im more concerned about replacing my blown rears
i dun wanna get a amp or a subbie for my parents car, rather save that money for my car anyway, all in all, if i jus replace my rears n get a new deck, all will b good?? no need for amp or nefinz?
Old 08-22-2005
Registered!!

nah 200 JUST for a pair of 6.5 speakers, im willing to pay wateva for any deck n btw i live in australia
Old 08-22-2005
Premium Member

okay here's what you should do. Spend the $200 on a new deck. I LOVE the alpine cda9847. Got it from best buy and it sounds better than my old $600 pioneer premier by far. I guarantee it will make the stocks sound better even. Lots of reviews if you look it up on crutchfield.com for yourself. And if you have a little extra, pull off the doors and deck and put some dynamat even if its only a little square around the speaker. or better yet get the dynxorb pads from carmedia1.com and put them behind the stock speakers. That will greatly reduce back wave distortion. Since you're on such a low budget, you can even go with one of the lower models of alpine since the one i suggested has 3 preouts. If you get a cheaper stereo, you have extra money for the dynamat. I would not bother with just new speakers on stock deck. it will sound a lil better but they will be underpowered and you'll prolly not like how they sound. I would say deck and dynamat are best bang for the buck.
Old 08-22-2005
Premium Member

for the rears, find the cheapest speakers you can. i've seen pioneers at best buy for $20 a pair.
Old 08-22-2005
Registered!!

nah its not a stock head unit in my parents civic, dey got a sony xplod deck, but id probly upgrade for them n get this --> http://www.strathfield.com/ViewProduct.asp?ProdID=1466 but only after i replace the blown rears
Old 08-22-2005
Registered!!

have you gone to a local audio shop yet? if not go in there and let them know what you want and give em a budget 40 to 50 less than what you are willing to spend. i am not sure what you have in that corner of the world we havent had the chance to try to take it over yet and they wont sale it to us. it would make a nice 51st state. so im not sure what brands are available. but yeah go to 3 shops and give all of them a budget of 50 dollars less than you are willing to spend and go with the one that you like.

Last edited by nick95673; 08-22-2005 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2005
Registered!!

yup ive been to the shops but so many choices n i wantd to clear sum simple questions up b4 i told them wat i wantd, thnx ery1 fo da advice n such