I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Ps2 Power inverter interference problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05reverb is an unknown quantity at this point
Ps2 Power inverter interference problem

anybody had any trouble with interference in the screen when using a power inverter to power the ps2? I ran it with my other screen and had no problem but now that i have a pioneer 5700 dvd flip out screen, it started having interference in the picture and the sound. I tried pluging my ps2 with an extension cord outside the house and it worked perfectly with my HU, but when i use the power inverter, it has that problem. I connected it directly to the battery and it still does it. I even bought another one and had the same problem. Is there something I could buy to put on the rca cables to stop that (if so, where do I get it?).
Old 08-07-2005
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
try extending the wires of the invertor and relocating it farther away from the Headunit, or reroute the signal cables to at least 8 inches away from any power lines or harnesses
Old 08-08-2005
Registered!!

The RCA cables are as far away from other wires as possible. As for the inverter wires, I connected the inverter directly on the battery and left the inverter under the hood, so there is no wires from the inverter near the headunit and it still does it, but when i plug it with an extension cord from the house, it works perfectly. Would there be a way to not use the inverter at all, that would be perfect. Because the ps2 slim only needs 8.? volts, so I was thinking on putting resistors to bring down the 12volts to 8.5, has anybody ever try this? Because if i can save myself of having that inverter underneath the seat, it would be best. If the resistor thing is too difficult to calculate, is there some sort of filter to put on the RCA cables to stop that interference. I know I'm not the only one with a ps2 in the car so somebody must have run into that problem.
Old 08-08-2005
Registered!!

I checked, and the ps2 power consumption is 5.3 amps. They have dc to dc converters at radio shack, but the biggest one can only handle 2.5 amps. So I would need a step-down transformer to convert 12v dc to 8.5v dc and that can handle at least 5.3 amps, anybody know where I can buy this? I found this one, but I don't really trust that site.

http://www.powerstream.com/dc-ps2.htm

Last edited by 05reverb; 08-08-2005 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-08-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
i had the same problem with my pioneer avic-n1. I used some cheap inline noise filters and it fixed the problem right away without having to re-route squat. I will send you one for free if you pay shipping.
Old 08-08-2005
Registered!!

Thanks, but your from US, so I would probably get a duty bill after receiving it, but if you wouldn't mind telling me where to get it, i'd appreciate it. Is it something you plug between the RCA cables and the headunit?
Old 08-08-2005
Registered!!

WEAPON-R CIVIC will become famous soon enough
run ps2 with inverter and three monitors, have no problems, I agree with skipbarber, i try some cheap inline noise filters.
Old 08-08-2005
Registered!!

MassMayhem is an unknown quantity at this point
Use a SNI-1, made by PAC, guaranteed to cure what ails ya
Old 08-09-2005
Registered!!

I just got back from radio shack and I tried the ground loop isolator and it didn't work, also I bought another power inverter (the 3rd one I try) and they all do the same thing. Even with the car off. And even with the ps2 in standby mode. It starts when I switch the power inverter on so its just the power inverter that's causing the problem. I'm still looking for a step down dc-dc 12v - approx. 8.5v so I could loose the power inverter + the transformer from the ps2.
Old 08-10-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 05reverb
Thanks, but your from US, so I would probably get a duty bill after receiving it, but if you wouldn't mind telling me where to get it, i'd appreciate it. Is it something you plug between the RCA cables and the headunit?
i can send them in a small padded envelope, its basically a tiny black box that goes inline between the rca's and your input.
Old 08-31-2005
Registered!!

audioefx3 is an unknown quantity at this point
im having the exact same problem. I also have the avh-p5700dvd. Im gonna try some filters cause i cut the carpet under my seat so the inverter looked nicer. Mine also works fine when i plug it into the wall.

Is there any filters in paticular I should look for?
Old 08-31-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by audioefx3
im having the exact same problem. I also have the avh-p5700dvd. Im gonna try some filters cause i cut the carpet under my seat so the inverter looked nicer. Mine also works fine when i plug it into the wall.
I gave up, I tried everything, but if you find a solution, please let me know.
Old 09-01-2005
Registered!!

Im gonna figure this out. I've tried 4 different inverters. The one that is wired into my car + 3 others that i wired directly to the battery and then just ran a extention cord from the inverters to the ps2. Ive tried 2 different ps2s and 2 different sets of wiring for both power and video/audio. I've gone to 3 different shops and they all just look at me dumb saying it shoudlnt happen. I just ordered a audio filter and video filter from pac. Dont haver the part numbers but i really hope this will work or Ill just have to settle with the ps2 only being on my other screen. Also tomorrow im gonna get a really nice set of ps2 audio/video cables-I think monster makes a kickass set more like the type used for car audio to prevent problems such as this

If that doesnt work im going to just go dc--dc with a step down transformer from 12v to 8.5 and just screw the inverter route.
Old 09-01-2005
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
have you tried regrounding your LCD monitor and inverter to the same spot?
Old 09-01-2005
Registered!!

the avh-p57000dvd is grounded to the harness. Although my over ride switch(for the screen) and power inverter are grounded at the same spot. Im gonna mess with the grounds and get some better rca cables.
Old 09-05-2005
I spend way too much time on this website

LowSky is an unknown quantity at this point
Figure i'd tell everyone why it happens

Inverters put out allot of interference because of the way they transfer DC to AC. This interference is like a cable TV signal and can travel through the power cord into the PS2 cause the scattered picture. Computers that are not in metal boxes or badly grounded can cause the same problems. If you look on the side or backs of radios, TV's and in your cell phone instruction manuals they list that this may happen and that the product is in according with the FCC.

If anything your inverter needs to be grounded a little better
Old 09-05-2005
Registered!!

I can't ground it any better, I tried grounding it directly on the battery. It worked with my other screen, it's just with this pioneer 5700 that I have that problem.
Old 09-06-2005
I spend way too much time on this website

LowSky is an unknown quantity at this point
maybe shielding the ps2 cables might help... maybe they are too close to another power cable...????
Old 09-06-2005
Registered!!

Nope, tried it with the HU out of the dash with all the wires seperated from each other, trust me, I've tried everything and now I gave up. Thanks for all the ideas though.
Old 09-07-2005
Registered!!

yea i seriously have tried everything under the sun. It got a little better when I grounded the pioneer with the inverter to a better ground(not to the dash harness) and i think the picture is a little better all the time now but still the line. Im just gonna break down and buy this http://www.powerstream.com/dc-ps2.htm and if that doesnt work then out with the ps2

I also hooked up a xbox and game cube all have the same line going threw the screen

its something about taking 12v to 110v that sends something funny threw the ps2 video cable

My audio from the ps2 comes in clear now even when the video cable is plugged in and the line is on the screen so all the stuff i have tried so far is somewhat working
Old 09-07-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by audioefx3
Im just gonna break down and buy this http://www.powerstream.com/dc-ps2.htm
If you try that dc-dc step down tranformer, let me know how it works.
Old 07-06-2012
Registered!!

Septic544 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ps2 Power inverter interference problem

Just done a google search for this problem. As i was havin trouble too. Solder a wire to your yellow cable and earth it mate. Job done.
Old 07-06-2012
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

This thread is seven years old...I'm pretty sure he's figured it out by now
Old 07-24-2012
Registered!!

Septic544 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I know lol, but I looked everywhere for an answer and there just wasn't one so thought for anyone in the future having a similar problem, there's the answer in black and white