I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Amp Whine Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swkfilms is an unknown quantity at this point
Amp Whine Question

ive already searched and read the first few pages of posts about whine but none seem to answer this and I think i know but I want to hear it from someone who knows their stuff.
I am getting mad alternator whine in my fronts. I was wondering if a long ground for the amp may be causing that whine?
The whine only seems to be on the right side and goes off when i disconnect that side. The speakers are run the same os the left side down the left side moulding and the power is on the right side. Also when i pull my HU out i can hear some pops and crackle in my fronts if i hit some of the wires sometimes(ground, some others i dont know). I re connected the all togther but i still have a bright orange wire on the wiring harness and a blue with white stripe on the radio that have no matches.

Any body have any ideas as to what i can do about whine, i turned the gains onthe amp down and that dropped it a little but the sub over powers the fronts if i have it turned all the way down.
Old 07-10-2005
ThE CoRRupToR

dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice
I had the same problem before but i disconnected my HU and reconnected it and the sound went away for me. But the real problem is that youre running the RCA cables, remote and power wire all on the same side and that causes it........
Old 07-10-2005
Registered!!

ill try unhooking it all and see if that does it but my speakers and RCAs are run on the drivers side door trim and the power is run down the passneger side, the ground is under the back seat where the seatbelts connect. The remote is connected under the steering wheel and run down the middle. The only place the rcas come in contact with teh power wire is right next to the amp. Also, both Rcas run next to each other over the power (they crisscross) and yet only the left side gives me any feedback.
I am using an older pair of RCAS because I got my old amp stolen so I bought two new amps. Ones for the sub (no feedback) ones for the front comps (left side whine). On my old system i had no whine whatsoever and the wires are still all run the exact same except for the criss cross, but I dont think thats a problem because its only on one side. IM going to go recconect my HU and see if that helps.

Thanks for the quick reply !
Old 07-10-2005
98% of people will die in their lifetime
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
i had the exact same problem, in fact i still do have it. after all was said and done it was my rca cables. i sanded down my ground to bare metal and it was still there. btw your ground should be as short as possible, like 12-18 inches. my friend gave me some cheap JL cables and that was the cause. get some noise reflecting cables, street wires is what i got.
Old 07-10-2005
Crawlin Similar To An Ant Low To Da Earth

Nokturnl has a spectacular aura aboutNokturnl has a spectacular aura aboutNokturnl has a spectacular aura about
Also if it still has any whine after moving the cables make sure you have a good ground. That no paint is there and bare metal to the amp ground. If it still does it after that run a ground wire for your radio to the same place the amp is and change the radio ground to that. I used to install and the JBL P.O.S. amps they sold you HAD to run a head unit ground to keep em from whinin almost always. Hope it helps
Old 07-10-2005
Registered!!

yeah guys thanks, i figured it was the RCA's ill be getting some new ones and installing htem tues so I'll let you all know. thanks again!
Old 07-10-2005
Registered!!

03CivicSedan is an unknown quantity at this point
Just FYI you orange wire is a dimmer wire witch most aftermarket radios dont have and blue is probably power antenna
Old 07-11-2005
Registered!!

thanks 03