I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

is it alright to run components without the woofer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005
I log in from time to time
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
is it alright to run components without the woofer?

i was wondering this because in my miata, i have an option to either use my components that have no bass, or use my tweeters from the components and the woofers from my midbass speakers. this should be a good alternative to what i was originally planning to do: install component speakers into the doors, with the tweeters mounted to the door panel; install midbass drivers in the rear deck; install headrest speakers (this is a miata, not a civic); run it all off of a 4 channel amplifier.

the question i have is, would it be alright to run the tweeters off of the crossover without a woofer attached? or would i be able to connect the midbass drivers to the crossover (completely different brands/speakers) and hope for the best?

thanks.

if the thread title is too non-descriptive (sp?), please change it or lock this thread. that means you, mega.
Old 06-23-2005
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
I'm going to lock the thread anyway, just because it's you

j/k
Old 06-23-2005
Banned

MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
I would connect the midbass to the crossover

is it actually a midbass speaker or is it a midrange?
Old 06-23-2005

dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
what i'll be running:

the speakers that i was planning to use in the civic...

massive audio pk6 - 6.5" components - woofers, tweeters, crossovers.
kicker ssmb6 midbass drivers - 6.5" midbass
kenwood kac-646x 4 channel amplifier (i'll have 2 of them...)
Old 06-23-2005
Banned

I would put the comps in the doors with an HPF... not sure where, maybe 200hz, but you can play with it and find out what is good, and midbass in the rear deck with an LPF at the same point that you highpass your components at
Old 06-23-2005

the thing is, though, that the miata has no rear deck. i mean, it does, but it involves cutting 2 6.5" holes along with some mounting holes. and then i have to insulate. all that = more $$$

this is why i ask if it's alright to run the midbass in the door and tweets up top on the door panel/skin.

and what does HPF and LPF mean?
Old 06-23-2005
Banned

that would be fine... but why not use the actual set of components instead of swapping the mid?

highpass filter and lowpass filter
Old 06-23-2005

Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
that would be fine... but why not use the actual set of components instead of swapping the mid?

highpass filter and lowpass filter
the components, as of now, have absolutely no bass response. it's all high frequencies. maybe that will change with the amp, but there's no way of testing this until i get the amps in (wednesday is when i come back from my trip, but the amps come on monday).

thanks for the clarification of hpf and lpf. i was gonna guess something like high/low p(something) frequency...guess i'm wrong lol
Old 06-23-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LayinLo is an unknown quantity at this point
You can mount them in the door. You can mount components as usual or mount both sets.

I had this problem with my jeep. Not enough midbass kick from components. Will a 6x9 box fit behind your seats? This is an option so you don't have to drill more holes and it will you give a bit more bass.
Old 06-23-2005

I would doubt that anything could fit behind my seats. I can't even fathom how a box would fit behind there lol.

I like your suggestion, though, to use another speaker in back, but with a Miata I would have to cut some large holes in the rear thing...and my dad would get super pissed.
Old 06-24-2005
Registered!!

LayinLo is an unknown quantity at this point
So you are planning on installing speakers in the stock locations, right? But, there's no place to put them behind the seats (without cutting), and you want to put midbass in the doors instead of full range?

I'm trying to get this picture.
You have a spot for tweeters (door panel)
You have a spot in the headrests (how big)
You have a spot in the door (how big)

Maybe something like this JL Audio setup:
XR 653 Csi

It has a 6.5 inch woofer (door), 4 inch midrange (headrest), 1 inch twweter (door panel).
Old 06-24-2005

i won't be able to spend money on this car unless i'm really good about hiding my bank statement, which unfortunately is an online banking thing (comes free with the account). so, purchasing something extra is out of the question.

that would be the reason for why i ask my question of running tweeters and separate midbass in the same panel. i'm going to just assume that it's alright...

the tweeters will have a spot cut out - that's not an issue.
the headrest speakers are 3.5"
and the door speaker is 6.5"
Old 06-26-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
I'd take the speakers out of the headrest and throw them in the trash, or on ebay. You're going to kill your sound stage with it that close to your head.
Old 06-26-2005

yeah i got that point about the sound stage being all screwed up, but who cares? my top will be down and the most sound that i'll be able to hear will be nearest to my head. whether it be from the front or the back, i want to hear the music that i'm listening to. i'm not a hardcore audiophile like you, popcorn.

but whatever the case, i blew all of my speakers the first day that i bought the car.
Old 06-27-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Wow... you blew them the first day? That sucks *****...

Anyway, to the original question, or how I understand it. Assuming it's a 4 channel amp you should have one channel dediceted to each crossover up front. Wire to the input side from the amp, then there should be a midbass driver and tweeter connection on the crossover. That's where you run your mid and tweet from. The other two channels (one per channel up front for the crossover, crossover splits the power between the two speakers on it) should be dedicated to the headrest speakers. One channel per speaker. You have one corner of sound per channel, so to speak.