I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Major Porblem!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SlimmKidd is an unknown quantity at this point
Major Porblem!!!!!!

Well Here it is I have a Pioneer Mp8500 (Mp3 Motorized) Jl 500/1, JL W3 v2 D2-12". I just hooked the amp up over the weekend and everthing was fine. Except that my Fm/Am radio wouldnt work at all except for one station 98.1 CHFI when I unhooked the amp all station slowly came back. Here is how my wiring setup is, my power wire and the anntena (sp) is on the same side (passenger side) the RCA & Remote wires are on the driver side. Could it be that the high current from the amp is interfering with the signal from the anntena??? My old setup was a Alpine Mrd M300 and the same HU and deck, and never had this problem before. Can someone please help me????

Thanks alot,

Slimmkidd
Old 03-28-2005
Godlike member

ex_03 is on a distinguished road
Your amp doesnt transmit so thats definetly out. sounds like your ant cable is unplugged some where?
maybe not behind the radio but somewhere else.Are you sure that you plugged it in when putting the radio in,or did it fall out when you moutned radio?
Old 03-28-2005
Godlike member

Ps. 98.1 is the only thing will come in here in detroit when there is no att hooked up! like I can stick a nail or allen wrench in the antenna hole and get 98.1 everytime.
Old 03-28-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
How much did you uninstall from the amp for it to come back - power, ground, remote, all, ?

Maybe you had your remote hooked to your vehicle
power antenna?
Old 03-28-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
did you hook up power antenna wire to your deck? I know we don't have one, but it needs to be hooked up for the antenna to work at its full potential.
Old 03-28-2005
Godlike member

Originally Posted by gearbox
did you hook up power antenna wire to your deck? I know we don't have one, but it needs to be hooked up for the antenna to work at its full potential.
? hooked to where?
Old 03-29-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Power antenna wire, bet you however much money you want that's the problem.
Old 03-29-2005
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
Yellow/green wire at the OEM harness, most aftermarket plugs do not have the wire in them. So you have to splice into it.
Old 03-29-2005
Godlike member

No, I am saying "If your car doesnt have a power ant. why hook up the ant turn on for?" The radios ant out put wire is for triggering a power ant. for up and down. Thats it. I guess what im asking is from the radio to your car you guys are saying to connect the ant. turn on wire?
Old 03-29-2005
Registered!!

Damn that might be it!!! I will try something tomara after work!!! does this mean I goota go back into my wiring harness??? **** thats alot of work, I never had this problem last summer with my old amp (Alpine MrdM300 V12) but I still couln't get any AM stations at all! But now my radio is working fine and I didnt touch anything just unhooked the amp.
Old 04-02-2005
Registered!!

The guy at Audio haven said that I might need a Fm signal booster I can get one at canadian tire
Old 04-04-2005
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ex_03
No, I am saying "If your car doesnt have a power ant. why hook up the ant turn on for?" The radios ant out put wire is for triggering a power ant. for up and down. Thats it. I guess what im asking is from the radio to your car you guys are saying to connect the ant. turn on wire?
the antenna in the back glass gets better reception when the ant. turn on wire is connected. I guess theres some kind of booster attached to it.
Old 04-04-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SlimmKidd
The guy at Audio haven said that I might need a Fm signal booster I can get one at canadian tire
he's trying to make a sale. Try the power antenna wire first.
Old 04-26-2005
Registered!!

HondaGuy7 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just went and checked about the radio in my Civic becuse I have tryed switching it out and everything. I still have crapy signal. The guy at the sterio place said that the only thing that can be done is to add an esternal ant. to the car and I think there is another way. If anyone can help me out please do. This sucks not haveing a radio half the time.
Old 04-28-2005
Registered!!

spilot will become famous soon enoughspilot will become famous soon enough
what if my aftermarket radio does not have the power antenna wire...it has:

blue/white (remote with the label: "please connect this wire to the remote for the amplifier, equalizerand/or auto antenna", which i will be hooking up to remote wire from the amplifier.)

red (accessory)

orange/white (illumination)

yellow (battery)

black (ground)

and then 8 speaker wires

my scoshche harness does have a blue (power antenna), so is it ok to splice in the power antenna wire from my harness into the blue/white remote wire front he radio which is connected to my amplifier?

Last edited by spilot; 04-28-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-28-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
Yes.
Old 04-28-2005
Registered!!

cheers!
Old 04-28-2005
Godlike member

Originally Posted by grenloch101056
the antenna in the back glass gets better reception when the ant. turn on wire is connected. I guess theres some kind of booster attached to it.
Now this is good stuff!!!
Old 04-28-2005
Registered!!

thats where it would normally go, but since you have an amplifier turn on lead allready connected, that might be too much. It would be safe to connect the blue wire in harness to the blue/white wire coming from your headunit and then connect the amplifier turn on lead to the 12 v power socket wire which is right in the same area. i believe it is a yellow wire, but verify with a DMM before connecting it.
Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

you mean i have to splice an amp remote wire into the yellow 12v battery/constant wire? (is that the 12v wire you're talking about?)

sorry, i started learning about all this stuff yesterday...
Old 04-29-2005

Do not splice the amp turn wire with the constant hot or your amp will be on all the time, well at least until it kills your battery.
Old 05-02-2005
Registered!!

k, one more question...i only have 1 orange/whlte wire coming out of my radio (illumination), but on my harness i have an orange (illumination/dash, which i have hooked up with the radio one), and then i have on orange/white (dimmer). do i connect both of those to the 1 from the radio, or leave the dimmer wire hanging behind? thank you.
Old 05-04-2005
Registered!!

anyone?
Old 05-04-2005
Godlike member

do you need to dimm the radio? If not cap it and tape it.
Old 05-04-2005
Registered!!

no, cool. wasn't sure if something else wasn't going to work properly. always hated that actually, in my old car.
Old 05-04-2005
Godlike member

Naa, dimmers dont have to be hooked up, just a feature!..hoped this helped
Old 05-07-2005
Registered!!

sador is an unknown quantity at this point
Power Antenna Wire? sound weird!

Hi, before do all that check the antenna plug (on the right lower kick panel )there is a joint over there make sure is connected,plus if you are using FM modulator this one gonna lower your reception at least 40%.
Now talking about wiring your radio So far all radios different brands etc. has at least one power turn on wire or most of them have two, one is the Blue and the other one Blue/white.
Now "Power turn on or remote turn on" means the gonna send a remote signal to your equipment like radio,Eq,Amps etc.
"Antenna turn on" means the you use this wire to connect your power antenna to roll up when you use your tuner and off when you turn off your tuner, so I don't understand why thay said that you have to use that wire when our Civics doesn't have a Power antenna!!!won't make any difference on that.
One more thing check your head unit if you have the Local or not local station settings.
Good Luck
A friendly advised on car stereo installaton.
Old 05-07-2005
Godlike member

Originally Posted by sador
Hi, before do all that check the antenna plug (on the right lower kick panel )there is a joint over there make sure is connected,plus if you are using FM modulator this one gonna lower your reception at least 40%.
Now talking about wiring your radio So far all radios different brands etc. has at least one power turn on wire or most of them have two, one is the Blue and the other one Blue/white.
Now "Power turn on or remote turn on" means the gonna send a remote signal to your equipment like radio,Eq,Amps etc.
"Antenna turn on" means the you use this wire to connect your power antenna to roll up when you use your tuner and off when you turn off your tuner, so I don't understand why thay said that you have to use that wire when our Civics doesn't have a Power antenna!!!won't make any difference on that.
One more thing check your head unit if you have the Local or not local station settings.
Good Luck
A friendly advised on car stereo installaton.
Well said,I call it newb guessing! No one must have bothered to even check where that wire runs!
Old 05-07-2005
Registered!!

actually, our car has an antenna ampifier on the passenger side c-pillar, when 12 volts is applied to it, it boosts the reception. the antenna turn on inst just used to tell the antenna to extend, but thats what its most commonly used for.
Old 06-05-2005
Registered!!

HondaGuy7 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just went and took off the panel in the back seat and checked the antenna wire and the antenna boost wires. I made shure they were getting power and that everything was hooked up right. Now my radio works better then it ever has. I guess something was just loss. Thanks for the help.