I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Sound deadening Brand question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gatorsactions is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Sound deadening Brand question.

I'm looking for some sound deadener. I found a couple on ebay. FatMat is half the cost of BrownBread so I'm leaning toward FatMat. Anyone have any comments that has had expience with one or both of these products?

FatMat

BrownBread

Oh yeah, I'm not really interesting in using waterproofing material from Home Depot or whatever.
Old 02-28-2005
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
I used fatmat in my car...no problems except for a funky tar smell for about 2-3 weeks. Does the job and sticks just fine if you follow the directions.
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

audioefx3 is an unknown quantity at this point
If your concerned about weight like me I only use liquid sound deadning . Almost has the same affect but weighs nothing and the particular stuff I use smells like fruit and looks like flat black paint. Just ask and I can find out who makes it.

Last edited by audioefx3; 02-28-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-28-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
I have used both along with FatMat. All three of them work equally as well. FatMat is a fraction of the cost of both. All work well with deadening. Some people complain about the tar smell. I had the opposite results with my installs. FatMat smelled the least amount of time (I put over 200 ft. of their product in mine) for me. I put 6 bulk packs (the 36" X 12" bulk so they say) on Dynamat in there. It smelled for about 3 weeks. The Brown bread smelled about a week and a half. I did the prep work with all three. With fatmat, they provide you a solution to mix up, along with a utility knife (buy a few more blades though) and roller (even if it is plastic). The soultion worked remarkably well, even if it did look like ****. The bread nor dynamat came with anything besides the actual product. You had to figure your own cleaning solution, etc. (I used a mixtre of lightly soapy water. Dried, then dried again with heat gun, then rubbed acetone on there to remove any remaining residue). Regardless, make sure you prep well in order to remove foreign particles/grit and use a heat gun when installing and roll it forcefully to ensure maximum sticking. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

also personall experience with fatmat is that the tar tends to *blead out* and will build up in puddles kinda weird id use brownbread instead plus brownbread tends to stick better and you can layer it with multiple layers(5 layers in a 4 runner with 4 12's and 13,000 watts worked nicely)
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

Bires is an unknown quantity at this point
I just did my car in Raammat. No smell. Kinda squishy, but it holds up and sticks like crazy. It's also 65mil, where Fatmat is only 40mil. I got 65square feet for $109 from Rick at Raamaudio.

I highly recommend it. It's awesome stuff and the Raammat people are the best company you will ever deal with.

If you want to do the whole car, get two rolls. You will need about 120square feet to do everything once.

I did the side panels, the trunk, the doors, and the floor of my 02 coupe with the one roll. I will most likely be doing the front floors and the firewall this summer. As well as finish the trunk and line the dash panels.

BTW: I also have 1-2 layers of berberesque fibrous carpet padding (often mistakenly called jute) over the pads, under the carpet. I love how dead my car sounds. (Makes want to go for drives to escape)
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

Also, I'm done with the carpet padding. I still have 1/2 the roll left over. If anyone wants any, and you can drive to/live in LV, you're welcome to it (for free). It's about $60 a roll.
Old 03-01-2005
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

audioefx3, in order to get the same effect as one layer of a sheet deadener with rubber coating, you would have to use so much it would weigh more than the sheet.

Also, 200 sq feet of fatmat weighs 40 pounds. That won't mean do jack **** in a car for slowing it down.
Old 03-01-2005
Registered!!

Mystic Im just speaking from personal experience. I just prefer liguid sound deadener(rubber coating?) plus I get it for free to test for the guy who makes the dedeaning. Im more into speed and handling so any weight I can get rid of or not add is good for me. 200 square feet is not enough deadening for a car if you really want the noise to stay inside the vehicle you would use more like 500 squre feet and layer it and thats more weight than I care to add to my personal vehicle

By the way if you were to build up layers of the liquid deadner I use if would take forever because you have to apply it paper thin so that it will dry. I find that about 3 paper thin layers works almost as good as one layer of mat.
Old 03-01-2005
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

My entire car with the exception of the ceiling has 3 layers of fatmat on it, and I used about 165 sq. feet. You definitely don't need 500 sq feet for a civic...maybe a suburban

It's cool if you like the liquid, I don't have anything against it, I use in with the mat, but in deadening/weight ratio the edge goes to mat deadeners.
Old 03-01-2005
Registered!!

Yea we used 5 layers brownbread for a 4runner. It still rattles but when you close all door and windows its pretty quiet. Yeah your right the mat does a better job but the liquid is really easy to use.
Old 03-01-2005
Registered!!

stepchild is an unknown quantity at this point
I used dynamat extreme on the doors only and my mids sound really good. I can play them down to 40-35 Hz. Like others, weight was a concern seeing as how I was adding weight with a system but it is a necessity.
Old 03-02-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Stepchild, what mids do you have that'll play that low?
Old 03-02-2005
Registered!!

4Saris is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
Stepchild, what mids do you have that'll play that low?
I'm thinking the same thing.

Also, where can I buy this stuff. Links would be helpful. I'm tired of my stuff just clinking and clanking down the damn road.
Old 03-02-2005
Registered!!

realitycheck is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys thanks for the info its been helpful. I've been working on this for about 1 1/2 weeks now. I did my trunk with ice and water guard on a monday and then tuesday afternoon it had fallen off. I figured out my problem though I didnt clean it very well just barely wiped with some windex, not good enough. Then I didnt use a roller just pressed with my fingers, again not good enough. So I went to home depot and bought a laminate roller. This saturday I ripped the old out and redid, cleaned surfaces with alcohol this time and stuck it on with the roller. It is now wednesday and no problems. I have some questions for you guys though, tuesday night I removed all the rear interior so I can do the rear. My question is this how can I do this best to stop all the plastic from rattling?????? Im not really worried about making my interior quiet I just want to get rid of the rattling that is caused by my subwoofers.
Old 03-02-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

Saris:

www.fatmat.com
www.raamat.com
www.secondskin.com
www.e-dead.com

I got a few more but those'll get you started.
Old 03-02-2005
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

To stop plastic rattling I would put a layer of deadening mat down, then spray with rubberized undercoating, and then use foam compressable chair stuffing, and reinstall. The chair stuffing will compress and keep pressure on the plastic to keep it from rattling.
Old 03-02-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

Reality Check, run the mat dampener between the rear deck (plastic) and the metal. Apply it to the top of the rear deck (metal). Spray the undersde of the plastic deck cover with the rubberized under coating mystic mentioned. Might even want to add an extra layer or two around the third brake light. I like to spray the underside with the undercoating as well.

Last edited by PopcornPlaya; 03-02-2005 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
Saris:
...www.raamat.com....
Bad link.

The link you want is:

http://www.raamaudio.com/
Old 03-03-2005
Registered!!

Excellent, tell me what you guys think. I talked to someone else this morning, im going to go buy home depot and buy some of that foam rubber carpet padding. Im going to stick the sound damping to the metal skin of the car. Then im going to use some 3m super 90 spray glue and spray the foam padding with it then im going to stick this to damping and then replace the plastic interior pieces back onto it. I'm also going to buy some tubes of silicone and squirt that in between panels of metal that are spot welded together. What do you guys think?? Will it work??
I could also buy some of that rubberized truck bed liner if you think I need it?????

Last edited by realitycheck; 03-03-2005 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-03-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

Don't forget to foam the trunk lid. As far as using carpet padding, it's not going to do a whole lot by way of deadening, maybe keep stuff from vibrating so much and banging against each other. I'd spray with rubberized under coating, or the truck bed liner(which will be more $$$) as opposed to doing the padding technique. As the rubberization will actually deaden it to an extent. That and expanding foam are about your best 2 options, other than buying a mat deadener. (Might want to look into the roofing tar stuff as opposed to the carpet padding). The padding it going to absorb rattle better than deadening sound because it can cushion the pieces from resonating against each other. It's not really dense enough to actually slow the sound waves that much.
Old 03-03-2005
Registered!!

Yeah I already have the asphault sheeting, everyone will laugh but thats fine, its actually the ice and water guard roofing material. I have already done that actual trunk area in it. Now I'm doing the rear interior. I am going to be laying the ice and water guard down first onto the metal panels. Then I will be applying the foam rubber on top of this. This is too keep the plastic from rattling, that is my intention. Im not too worried about deadening outside noises. I just want to get rid of that rattling that is caused by the subs. Will my previous ideas work for this??????
Thanks for your help.
Old 03-03-2005
let the devil out
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
I have used dynamat and brown bread so far dynamat killed me in cost for the same affect that brown bread gave me for elss money. Its easy to install and just like any sound proffing material it will bleed of some tar in high heat. but its installed good you will have minimal leakage .
Old 03-03-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

RC, the ruber should, theoretically, dampen the plastic vibrating against the metal. If that's what your asking. It should be less noticable.
Old 03-03-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by eye_see_you
...just like any sound proffing material it will bleed of some tar in high heat....
It's been 70F in LV and my car has gotten up to 85F, and I still haven't smelled anything coming from my raammat.
Old 03-03-2005
Registered!!

BTW: The fibrous carpet padding (exactly the same stuff Honda already uses) work very well to muffle and reduce road noise. It creates a more dead feeling car, since a lot less tire/road noise enters the car.