I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Fit on JL audio 6.5" components & 6x9s

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gatorsactions is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Fit on JL audio 6.5" components & 6x9s

Some of you have probably installed these or something very similar in your car so maybe you can give me some direction here.

What is the max mounting depth for the front speakers on a 2004 EX coupe? I'm trying to determine if I'm going to need spacers to mount the speakers I'm looking at.

Here are the specs (JL XR650-CSi components)
Frame O.D. 165.5mm
Grille Tray O.D. 171.4mm
Magnet O.D. 82mm
Frontal Grille Protrusion 21.2mm
Xmax: 2.5mm

I'm also looking at some rear speakers. And need to know if I'm going to need spacers or whatever to mount them. I've heard the rears can be a pain because if the magnets are too big they will hit those metal bars or whatever in the trunk by the rear deck. With that said are these going to be okay or what?

Here are the specs (JL VR690-Cxi 6x9)
Frame O.D. 163.3mm x 237.4mm
Grille Tray O.D. 171mm x 244mm
Magnet O.D. 120mm
Frontal Coaxial Tweeter Protrusion 6.8mm
Frontal Grille Protrusion 24.8mm
Xmax: 6.5mm

I know a lot of you say if you need spacers just make em out of MDF or something, but if I wanted to buy some where would I find them?

Last edited by gatorsactions; 02-25-2005 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-01-2005
Registered!!

gnat1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah thats the same setup i got installed last year. I didn't install it myself since install was free with purchase but the guy said he didn't have any problems
Old 03-01-2005
Registered!!

gatorsactions is an unknown quantity at this point
you did the 6.5"s in the front or the 6"? More importantly though the 6x9s fit in the rears without having to do anything with the trunk springs/bars/thingies?
Old 03-01-2005
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road
They don't make 6" woofers.. anyways though, our shop carries JL and the components are the 6x9s are great. Good product, very good sounding.. I'd take them over Boston Acoustics (other than the Z series) Anyways, I used spacers in the doors.. but I've never installed the 6x9s in the rear deck of our cars so I'm not sure about that
Old 03-02-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
You can buy spacers anywhere that sells audio pretty much, but why buy them? You can make a circle cutting jig for nothing (use some spare wood). If you don't want to make a jig, you can take the mounting ring and trace it, or just get a rotozip or dremel with circle cutter. Zip it out in about a minute or less. Works great. Anyway, goodluck with whatever you choose.
Old 03-02-2005

profuse007 is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^making those spacer by wood is harder and less efficient than it seems. just get some spacers and slap them on.
Old 03-02-2005
One Slow Civic.... But I can take turns pretty well :-)

Blahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trusted
spacers?? HA! I moddifiied my speakers to fit. Then fixed them with a glue gun. lol.
Old 03-02-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by profuse007
^^^making those spacer by wood is harder and less efficient than it seems. just get some spacers and slap them on.
Really now. So you're saying that the density of the mdf does not further help control backwave distortion? interesting...
Old 03-03-2005
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by profuse007
What do you make yours out of then? MDF is the cheapest and most reliable way.. especially for the person who does their own installs all the time because the chances of having the wood just laying around are pretty good.. as pop said.. that is an interesting concept.