I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

sony vs pioneer??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JAG609 is an unknown quantity at this point
sony vs pioneer??

i wanna know yalls opinion between these 3 decks.

pioneer deh-p770mp
deh-p80mp
sony cdx-m7810

thanx alot guys
Old 02-22-2005
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
i think they're all ugly but the pioneers are prolly way better than the sony...
Old 02-22-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
The pioneers hands down. Sony sucks, end of story.
Old 02-22-2005
Still in the game...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

scatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to behold
pioneer > sony.
Old 02-22-2005
Registered!!

BrotherSound is an unknown quantity at this point
I just replaced my 4yr old Clarion pro, with -This- sony HU.
Normally I wouldn't buy Sony, I had a sony HU when I was in highschool that crapped the bed after about a year. but for its price this sony was loaded with pretty good features.

such as:
120db s/n ratio
4v pre outs
mp3
BBE
nice display
it looks great in my dash, (its not ghey lookin')

so far i think it sounds better than my clarion pro
and looks better. though I think the clock is to small.

i just hope it lasts longer than my very first sony.
Old 02-22-2005
Reppin Stage 7

XTREME2K2CIVIC will become famous soon enoughXTREME2K2CIVIC will become famous soon enough
Sony Bites...

Sony>Pioneer>Premier
Old 02-22-2005
Sometimes, I can see right through myself ...

taz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by XTREME2K2CIVIC
Sony Bites...

Sony>Pioneer>Premier
Don't you mean

Premier > Pioneer > Sony?
Old 02-22-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Pioneer owns all and omg is that a new deck I see? Looks amazing as usual. However I would go with the p80. You should compare features because from what I can tell the p770 has some newer stuff added. I have a 940mp for almost 2 years and it still plays like new. Pioneer has the best display hands down, and alot of tuning features.
Old 02-22-2005
Premium Member

shmik1 has disabled reputation
pioneer > sony

(again :P )
Old 02-22-2005
Sometimes, I can see right through myself ...

taz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by gearbox
Pioneer owns all and omg is that a new deck I see? Looks amazing as usual. However I would go with the p80. You should compare features because from what I can tell the p770 has some newer stuff added. I have a 940mp for almost 2 years and it still plays like new. Pioneer has the best display hands down, and alot of tuning features.
I agree that Pioneer owns all too. I've got this deck, the DEX-P1R. Bought it about 5 or 6 years ago, to actually put in my Neon when I had it. Was going to go and compete in some SPL stuff, but never got around to installing it in the Neon. So, I stuck it in the Civic when I got it. It's still a killer deck for how old it is. I love the damned thing. Not as feature-rich as some of the newer HUs, but that's to be expected. Funny thing is that the HU color matches the OEM metal-look trim kit *perfectly*. I couldn't have planned it any better.

But, I'm thinking of ditching the HU now for something a little newer. I really like the DEH-P8MP, but I don't like the fact you have to use that **** for *everything*. It's a little too clunky, espically in traffic. I also like the DEH-P660 and DEH-760MP. Simple. But, I'm really impressed with the DEH-P860MP. Just recently installed that deck into dawn01civ's car a few months ago for her. Thing is a really sexy deck. Very feature rich and is decently priced. I'm waiting to see if they come out with a DEH-P870MP sometime this year. I've got a feeling they will. If they do, I just might end up getting that deck. Also, I'm waiting for the iPod adapter that's coming out here probably in the next 2 months.
Old 02-22-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
The only thing that I don't like about mine is the purple button lights which they changed to blue in the new models. It still fits my dash fairly well tho. The organic el display is just amazing. Oh and the mp3 otpions are horrible on the older ones. I have to wait a minute to load one cd and then seeking takes forever. I think all that changed later.
Old 02-22-2005
(SnOwBoArDeR | FoReVeR)

Civic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura about
none of them....get an alpine
Old 02-22-2005
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
My first deck was a Sony, it started skipping and refusing to play CDs after less than a year.

I have a P740mp, it's a few generations old, but it works great. The slowness on MP3 loading is my only gripe as well. I think they're better now, as gearbox said. I'd totally go for the Pioneer.
Old 02-22-2005
How many pots have you smoken?

manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
i got the CDX-m9905 and it rocks. love it. its sony...i know. but i really had to try this one out just cuz of how sick the display is. works just as good as other decks. doesn't skip/plays all cds...and it looks sick as hell.
Old 02-22-2005
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
I have the p80 and love it for its logic features, has a display you can acaully see in our cars and a cool LIST function that lists like 4 folders and tracks at once. Easy to nav and loads mp3's faster then all other decks

get the p80
Old 02-22-2005
Registered!!

Dlmille is an unknown quantity at this point
Pioneer hands down, sony products suck *** across the board. You can usually get better quality and a lot more for your money in another brand! My personal opinion but one that is chared by many other CE Professionals.
Old 02-22-2005
blah™

Excal is an unknown quantity at this point
ya pioneer > sony

I had a sony long time ago and the volumn **** broke. I would turn it up it would turn down i would turn it down it would turn up but then would i would go back up to try and trick it and it would go up even more. my dad had a newer model of the one i had and it did it to him to..terrible HU i would never buy sony again.

Alpine, Clarion or pioneer only ones i would buy maybe kenwood also
Old 02-22-2005
Newbie Member

thomusvoo is on a distinguished road
pioneer
sony has no place in car audio yet
Old 02-22-2005
blah™

Originally Posted by thomusvoo
pioneer
yet? they been in car audio for many years and still havent gotten it right IMO. They should be like daewoo and stick to what they know.

I guess they are good for those kids who thing they have a banging system that everyone likes to laugh at. Atleast it gives some people something to laugh at.
Old 02-22-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by thomusvoo
pioneer
I agree with you sig,but not your hu!
Had Sony, have Sony, will have Sony!Never a problem and good prices, and great features!
Old 02-22-2005
How many pots have you smoken?

manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
^and sick as$ display, why doesn't anybody acknowledge that the sony TFT screen is tight and is well worth it??? damnit! somebody like my HU!!! haha
Old 02-22-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
the both sux pioneer just suxs less
Old 02-22-2005
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
My Pioneer Premier owns the **** out of all of you, but be warned: it takes quite a bit of time to get it set up right. It does so much stuff that other decks take for granted. It didn't sound that great out of the box but after I messed with it for a while (AND READ THE MANUAL), it sounds a lot lot better. If you like tinkering with things and are a nerd and like having completely control over everything, then go with Pioneer (their lower end decks may not be so complicated). Otherwise you might want to get Alpine. I've only heard bad things about Sony.

The thing with Premier that surprised me was I've found that a lot of the "effects" that you would normally ignore if you're an audiophile, such as "loudness," "BBE," and "compression" and such, are really required to get a full range sound. Usually on most systems I leave off all of the effects cuz they don't really improve the sound, but with my Pioneer Premier deck this isn't the case. It sounds quite flat and empty without the added effects, even after substantial manipulation of the 13 band EQ.
Old 02-22-2005
blah™

Originally Posted by zachgeyer
the both sux pioneer just suxs less
Pioneer is one of the leaders in the industry for many years ya maybe there displays might not be the flashest (if thats even a word) but reliablty is unmatched.

Sony how ever is not. they are for Home Audio and well other stuff like psx/ps2 but not car audio.

I would much rather take something that would last then it have some stupid screensaver or whatever and die on me 6 months after i got it.
Old 02-22-2005
Premium Member

I only have the eq set on mine. 13 band eq owns all. But yes they are very complicated to set up. I have a network mode which I wouldn't even try to use where you can actually adjust slope, q, and all kinds of crap for a multiamp system. Kenwood doesn't even come close, and sony is down at the bottom. Only decks which are equal (or maybe better) are alpine and eclipse.
Old 02-22-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Excal
Pioneer is one of the leaders in the industry for many years ya maybe there displays might not be the flashest (if thats even a word) but reliablty is unmatched.

Sony how ever is not. they are for Home Audio and well other stuff like psx/ps2 but not car audio.

I would much rather take something that would last then it have some stupid screensaver or whatever and die on me 6 months after i got it.
what ever,you got your, I got mine
Old 02-22-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
oem!!
Old 02-22-2005
blah™

haha no way i would take a sony over OEM anyday hehe
Old 02-22-2005
Registered!!

Just post your preference,this is not "follow the leader"
Old 02-22-2005
Registered!!

Civic04 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the sony 7700 hu and sony the rest of the way back. i have never had a problem with my sony stuff

Quick Reply: sony vs pioneer??