I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

cd player adaptor kit with a bigger opening but also preserves the pocket

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005
Super Hoser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
cd player adaptor kit with a bigger opening but also preserves the pocket

i have the metra kit that lets me keep my bottom pocket but i hate how the opening is the small type.

is there a kit that lets me keep the thin frame piece thingy on the deck?

i know there are some scorshe kits out there with the bigger opening but they also replace the bottom pocket.
Old 02-09-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
what do you mean bigger opening?
Old 02-09-2005
The Nightraid crew - Sensible Ownage

evilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the rough
I think for the flush mount dash kits, he's wondering if there are any that keep the pocket, but still let you have the trim ring around the aftermarket stereo.

And if you can't find one, just get a dremel and shave the opening until it's big enough to work.
Old 02-09-2005
Banned

MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
have only seen the one dash kit from Metra that lets you keep the pocket

don't think another one exists, sorry.
Old 02-10-2005
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by evilone
I think for the flush mount dash kits, he's wondering if there are any that keep the pocket, but still let you have the trim ring around the aftermarket stereo.

And if you can't find one, just get a dremel and shave the opening until it's big enough to work.
shaving the trim would be ugly

i'm gonna have a look at one of those that make you remove the pocket...

see if i can cut the bottom off nicely..maybe with a milling machine
Old 02-10-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
Can't you use the double din kit and reinstall your factory pocket w/ door in the lower din?
Old 02-10-2005
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
^^ no, that wont work because the factory pocket isnt a din face.

There is no mounting kit that is not ISO-DIN (flush mounted) that retains the bottom pocket. Why would you want to use the trim ring anyway? I think that would look kinda weird....
Old 02-10-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VTEC01EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Or, you could just forget using a dash kit at all, keep the factory pocket, and mount your deck that way. You'll have plenty of room to use the trim ring, and it really doesn't look as awful as it sounds. The dash kit I got with my deck was a cheap pile of ***** so I just tossed it and went for the ghetto install.
Old 02-10-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Or, you could just buy the American International kit that lets you keep the OEM pocket. Only thing is, it's black and doesn't have the flake in it like our stock dash.
Old 02-11-2005
Super Hoser

Originally Posted by VTEC01EX
Or, you could just forget using a dash kit at all, keep the factory pocket, and mount your deck that way. You'll have plenty of room to use the trim ring, and it really doesn't look as awful as it sounds. The dash kit I got with my deck was a cheap pile of ***** so I just tossed it and went for the ghetto install.
do you have pics of it? i've considered it but i dont remember how it looks without a trim piece...
Old 02-11-2005
Super Hoser

Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
Or, you could just buy the American International kit that lets you keep the OEM pocket. Only thing is, it's black and doesn't have the flake in it like our stock dash.
where can i get the american international kit? the metra kit doesnt have the silver paint anyways...
Old 02-11-2005
Banned

my metra does, it matches perfect
Old 02-11-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VTEC01EX is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont have any pics of it online... Basically, it looks normal, aside from the right hand side of the radio has that angled cut-out that has nothing in it when there's no kit. If you still have your stock piece, just take a look at it and you'll see what i'm saying.
Old 02-11-2005
Super Hoser

Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
my metra does, it matches perfect
i already have the metra kit....
Old 02-11-2005
Super Hoser

did honda just stick in the double din deck or did they make a new climate control unit thingy just to fit that deck?
Old 03-16-2005
Registered!!

iNteGraz92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by turboslug

did honda just stick in the double din deck or did they make a new climate control unit thingy just to fit that deck?
looks like they just stuck the double din in there
Old 03-16-2005
I spend way too much time on this website

LowSky is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the metra kit that lets me keep my bottom pocket but i hate how the opening is the small type.

i know there are some scorshe kits out there with the bigger opening but they also replace the bottom pocket.

what do you mean??? if you want a double DIN then you need to loose the bottom pocket other wise you stereo will look like mine with the metra kit

heres some pics
Old 03-16-2005
Super Hoser

Originally Posted by LowSky
what do you mean??? if you want a double DIN then you need to loose the bottom pocket other wise you stereo will look like mine with the metra kit

heres some pics
i have the exact same setup and the metra kit is a piece of trash...

note that not all metra kits are the same quality. mine looks like crap. bascially looks as though it was painted with matte black paint and almost no metalic flakes..

btw, your deck doesn't look right. it seems as though it's sticking out too far...check out gearbox's pic of the 845mc ...it doesn't stick out so far...

Last edited by turboslug; 03-16-2005 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-16-2005
Registered!!

Pitch_BlacK is an unknown quantity at this point

Yo man are you talking about the frame thing you put on your clarion deck? I used to have a scosche kit for my clarion 845 deck but I wanted to keep my bottom pocket so I changed to a metra 99-7897 kit which fits perfectly without the plastic frame that comes with the Clarion deck.

I don't think there's any other kits that has a wider opening for the deck where you can also keep the bottom pocket.
Old 03-16-2005
Super Hoser

Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
looks like they just stuck the double din in there
actually they didnt't...that console is different from the regular ones...i took a look at mine..it isn't like that..
Old 03-16-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
The part number listed in my database for the console is the same for 05 Civic EX SE as it is for the 04 Civic EX . . . What do you think is different about it?
Old 06-11-2005
Registered!!

sid21177 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by LowSky

heres some pics
does yours have a removable faceplate ??
Old 06-11-2005
I spend way too much time on this website

LowSky is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by sid21177
does yours have a removable faceplate ??

yeah it has a removeable faceplate

and the reason it sticks out a little is becuae when i frist put it in it looked too sunken in