I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

So...my sub is gone

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
So...my sub is gone

I took it out to save weight and reduce power drain. I'm getting aem pulleys and focusing more on getting this car faster. I miss the sub and am just running Infinity reference speakers off a small alpine amp (40wx4) and tweets off the deck. The dynamat helps, but midbass is a bit boomy so I turned it down. I guess with 6.5 inch all around, it's gonna be hard to get bass out of. There are some songs that have good midbass, but alot of em just have low. What do some of you sedan owners do to try and get more bass out of speakers? At least coupes have 6x9 in back. I have dynamat that helps too, but I guess the speakers are too small.
Old 11-27-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tbaleno is an unknown quantity at this point
A sad day. You may be able to cut out some of the rear deck to fit in 6x9s. You should just save up for a turbo to get some real power and keep the sub. I hear all the little upgrades to the engine don't add up to much anyway. Start adding up the individual mods and soon enough you have spent as much as a turbo.
Old 11-27-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I prolly could have had one by now or close to it with the junk I bought already. I did feel a difference when I took out the sub and amp. I'm just trying to lighten up cause it does help. Don't really have plans for a turbo...or money.
Old 11-27-2004
Registered!!

tbaleno is an unknown quantity at this point
Next time there is another chicago meet I'll have to show you the sub boxes I put in my car. Talk about weight. 2 enclosures at 1.6 cubes each made of 3/4" mdf. Plus the 2 idmaxes, plus 3 amps . I'm going no where fast and I'm not even going to try to pretend to be. I probably have about 150 lbs of ice in my trunk at least. And I can't even turbo it because its a hybrid
Old 11-27-2004
Premium Member

I saw that last time. Man I can't imagine all that weight Can't you get a new electric motor or something lol.
Old 11-28-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
Pullies are useless, dont bother...its one of the least effective mods. As far as improving your midbass, try sealing your doors, if that doesnt work, try kickpanels. If you still arent satisfied, get speakers with better midbass response. My QSD's are crossed at 63hz and sound BEAUTIFUL.
Old 11-28-2004
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
How much did your sub and box weigh? Probably less than a full tank of gas. Just race with < 1/4 tank of gas and you'll even everything out
Old 11-28-2004
Premium Member

sub maybe 20-30 lbs, amp 10lbs. Gallon of gas = 6-8lbs, so I try and keep it about 1/2 full most of the time. I really need more power.
Old 11-28-2004
Premium Member

shmik1 has disabled reputation
I go nowhere fast too, I have 2x TypeRs that prolly = 20lbs ish a piece, so 40lbs in subs and the box is around 45-50 i think... so im looking at about 90lbs of added weight.. I may not go anywhere fast but atleast getting there sounds better
Old 11-28-2004
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
i probably have 90 pounds of just wood in mine...
Old 11-28-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

blah blah...i've got 4 subs and a 5 cubic foot box, and 75 sq. ft. of dynamat and 4 cans of rubber undercoating in my trunk...plus the amp rack and 3 amps....don't even TRY to talk about heavy
Old 11-29-2004
Premium Member

My entire car is dynamatted. I wish I could take out the trunk part, cause it's of no use anymore. Oh well. Alot of weight there.
Old 11-29-2004
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
I think I just need to lose weight :-/.. heh..

LIke said above, maybe put some baffles behind the speakers:http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=260-788

I also hear you can harden them with fiberglass resin, but you might need to check on that one, make sure the foam doesn't disintegrate [derivative... hahahaha].
Old 11-29-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Originally Posted by gearbox
My entire car is dynamatted. I wish I could take out the trunk part, cause it's of no use anymore. Oh well. Alot of weight there.
Not really....100 SQ ft only weighs about 39 lbs.
Old 11-29-2004
Premium Member

So I prolly have around 50lbs or so. Still that's kinda alot. I know dynamat is lighter than other deadeners, but at least it helps with the speakers.
Old 11-29-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

50 lbs will add about 1/100th of a second to your 1/4 mile times... A 30 degree day versus a 75 degree day would make more of a difference in acceleration than the 50 lbs would.