I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Who has a voltmeter for their audio stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Who has a voltmeter for their audio stuff?

Why did you feel you needed one, where did you put it, etc. Please answer all followup questions you anticipate me asking
Old 10-28-2004
Registered!!

tbaleno is an unknown quantity at this point
My battery terminal has one built in. Doesn't do me much good while I'm driving but it looks neat

I'm constantly thinking of getting a voltmeter and ammeter and that gauge cluster thing that lets you put them on eaither side of the cluster. But I haven't decided yet.
Old 10-28-2004
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tbaleno
I'm constantly thinking of getting a voltmeter and ammeter
What does an ammeter measure?

and that gauge cluster thing that lets you put them on eaither side of the cluster. But I haven't decided yet.
I don't think that make that cluster for our cars, do they? If you have an 01 or 02 it would kind of block the water and fuel gauges.
Old 10-28-2004
Registered!!

tbaleno is an unknown quantity at this point
ammeter measures how many amps.
Old 10-28-2004
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
actually, an amp meter is useless on a car. It only shows when the alternator is charging, but does not show the status. A volt gauge is far more useful. I.e. 14 volts, everything is fine. Lower than 12, battery is discharging and alternator is not working.
Old 10-28-2004
Premium Member

shmik1 has disabled reputation
i wouldnt mind getting an ammeter and volt meter that sits by the gauges.. but my radar has a volt meter on it, and the gauges + bezel piece or wutever u call it is wut like $50 total?.. but it'd b neat
Old 10-28-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
My vafcII has a voltmeter, so I guess I really didin't need my old one.

Old 10-29-2004
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
I'm thinking about getting the Audiobahn volt meter to go w/ my amp.
Old 10-29-2004
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
ive got one now, i wanna get two more for in the cabin. one to monitor my front battery, one for the rear, just so i can know if i've killed the battery/batteries
Old 10-29-2004

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
I've got one in my GrandPrix and it's saved my *** a few times from a dead battery. Also pretty good indication of when your alternators on it's way out.
Old 10-29-2004
Registered!!

Regularjoe is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rickinthescv
actually, an amp meter is useless on a car. It only shows when the alternator is charging, but does not show the status. A volt gauge is far more useful. I.e. 14 volts, everything is fine. Lower than 12, battery is discharging and alternator is not working.
There are different types of meters. Overall though an ammeter measures amps. I think it would be cool to have one that measures the current draw from your amplifiers.

These guys make some cool stuff like that: http://www.dakotadigital.com/

Old 10-29-2004
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of

Old 10-29-2004
Premium Member

It would be cool if the head unit had a voltmeter built in.
Old 10-29-2004
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Hey that WOULD be cool, never thought of that...

I believe the AVIC-N1 has a few gauges, maybe a voltmeter is one of them
Old 10-29-2004
Premium Member

Is a voltmeter hard to install?
Old 10-29-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Easiest gauge ever. power and ground for the gauge, power and ground for the light (if backlight is separate).
Old 10-29-2004
Premium Member

Does it light up with the other gauges (when you turn the headlights on)? Does the dimmer switch on the dashboard control the light on those gauges as well? I was surprised that my dash dimmer switch didn't control the brightness of my aftermarket head unit, but it has it's own brightness control built in so it doesn't matter.
Old 10-29-2004
Premium Member

shmik1 has disabled reputation
so any connection to a power source is plenty accurate? or are different sources more accurate than others?
Old 10-29-2004

alex053 will become famous soon enough
i have one. it was free.

Last edited by alex053; 10-29-2004 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-29-2004
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
takumi is on a distinguished road
I have a portable multimeter
Old 10-29-2004
The Nightraid crew - Sensible Ownage

evilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by rickinthescv
But with an ammeter and a voltmeter (providing you get digital for both), you can get a rough estimate of alternator wattage, so you can have a rough idea of alternator efficiency. This way, if your alternator starts to crap out, you'll know from the beginning, and you can replace/upgrade when you need to. Strictly a tool, and mainly for looks, but definately not useless.
Old 10-29-2004
The Nightraid crew - Sensible Ownage

evilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Takumi
I have a portable multimeter
Me too. Gotta love digital electronics class.
Old 10-30-2004
Registered!!

Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted
The reason i got a volt meter was because one time i drained my battery while listening to my system. That scared me when i had to jump the car so i installed a volt meter so i could always check the battery.

I put the volt meter in the driver side vent. I used bondo and like sealed it in. I bought an S7 voltage, cuz i like the colors

sry i dont have a day time pix:
Old 10-30-2004
Premium Member

^ Does the needle light up, too?
Old 10-30-2004
Registered!!

Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted
yea its orange, i think i took the pic w/o my car on thats why its dark and it reads 0 on the gauge
Old 10-31-2004
Premium Member

But the other numbers look lit up so I thought your car was on.
Old 10-31-2004
Registered!!

The needle is orange, i guess its just not visible in the picture. Anyway i think the pic is with my lights on but not the car itself. I wired the gauge so that it illuminates when i turn on the lights.
Old 11-01-2004
Premium Member

Originally Posted by alex053
i have one. it was free.

Nice. Where'd you get that? What are the buttons for? M and S? Minutes and seconds?
Old 11-01-2004
Premium Member

Dude, seriously, that's tight. Where'd you get it?
Old 11-02-2004
Premium Member

^ bump.

Quick Reply: Who has a voltmeter for their audio stuff?