I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

getting a system

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004
es2
bubble party!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
es2 can only hope to improve
getting a system

I am getting a system put in my car in two days. I am getting memphis audio speakers and 2 12 in mtx subs. I am also getting tweeters put in my car, is it a good place to put them in the door near the door handle on the inside?

Last edited by k2001civicboy; 10-10-2004 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-10-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Sweet. I like the tweeters in the triangles right above the door panel to the front.
Old 10-10-2004
es2
bubble party!!!

yeah the guy says that will cost extra, i would do it all myself but i know nothing about audio
Old 10-10-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Well, ideally, you'd want the tweets within 12 or so inches of the mid for optimal imaging. ounds like the shop may be trying to rip you off though. Go by your Honda dealer and buy the EX sail panels (the triangle at the front of the door you're describing). Put your tweets in them (may require a little trimming/sanding to accomodate them, but not too much modification). They're like $12 bucks. The shops probably wanting to take your sail panels and cut a hole in them to flush mount (which would be kind of hard to do with their depth vs the depth of the ex's with the pod for tweet). They might want to surface mount them, which would require minimal work to do, and I couldn't imagine why they'd charge you more. I really don't understand why they'd charge you either way, but the shops I go to make sure the customer is happy, and the price is the same for the install. They have set install rates for different things. No matter the vehicle, it is the same. But that's just the shop I go to, and help them by selling product for them.
Old 10-10-2004
es2
bubble party!!!

-popcorn
thanks for the info man
Old 10-10-2004

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
Um, the guys at the shop are probably gonna get EX pods anyway and then charge you anyways for a custom install. If you do get the ex pods, you might have to file down the little square plastic tab that locks the factory tweets into place. A good way to do this is to heat up the end of a flat-head screwdriver with a torch or a lighter and just press-burn the tab away, then lightly sand/file it down
Old 10-10-2004
es2
bubble party!!!

thanks
-j187
i hate when 16 year old do that too, even though i am 16
Old 10-10-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
I just broke mine out with a set of needle nose pliars, then trimmed it down with a heavy duty xacto knife, then sanded it down with some 40 grit. Course the heating thing would work too. I just don't have a torch, and I don't smoke, so no lighters either. Wonder if a soldering iron would work, to heat the screwdriver, not burn it away (course I guess you could with one of the cheapy ones cause it'd probably mess it up)
Old 10-10-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
If they are charging a lot extra its probably because they are making you new sail panels for the tweeters. that can range from $100-$200 extra.
Old 10-11-2004
7thGen's Loudest Civic...4,000 watts and climbing...

usafcushman is on a distinguished road
here's a pic of my Kicker tweets in the sail panel as described above...it would sound a little better if they were a little more angled toward the seats, but the imaging here is better than in the door panels, A-pillars, etc...good luck...
Old 10-11-2004

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by usafcushman
here's a pic of my Kicker tweets in the sail panel as described above...it would sound a little better if they were a little more angled toward the seats, but the imaging here is better than in the door panels, A-pillars, etc...good luck...
That is a speaker-specific comment. Especially if you say "etc" because depending on the speaker, the kick panel location would offer totally superior imaging than the surface mounted sail panels. LIke someone, I think brash, noted earlier Quarts for example would sound just as good in the sails as would in the kicks. But as long as others reading your post realize that the sail panel doesn't offer better imaging than door, a pillar etc neccessarily for all speakers.
Old 10-11-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

Those aren't exactly as I described being in the sail panel. Those are surface mounted on a non-ex sail panel. How can I tell you say? Easy, the surface mounting cup is a different color (looks silver), and the fact that it sticks straight out from the sail panel. The EX sail panel has a pod in it, angled at the passenger area. That's not what I was talking about.
Old 10-11-2004
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
I put my pioneer tweeters in the place of the stock tweeters. Looks really nice
Old 10-11-2004

hey, thanks to J187 for clarifiying my previous statement...i've always used Kicker tweeters, so i guess that was a more speaker-specific post...and to PopcornPlaya: my car is 2003 EX sedan...the angled tweeter cups in the sail panels are available in coupes only as far as i know, and the reason the tweeter cup in my pic is silver is because i upgraded from Kicker R13s to R19s, and the R13 cup (black) was too small for the R19...so i used a pair of silver tweeter cups from an older Infinity system instead...sorry i didn't specify all that in the previous thread, i just didn't think it was that important at the time...but thanks for looking out for me...
Old 10-11-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

The coupe sail panels will work in the sedan.
Old 10-11-2004

do they normally come in the sedan?...it's not too hard to make some angled mounts, but i'd rather have the stock look...and what size are the factory tweets? (will they allow for a 3/4" tweeter replacement?)...just wondering if it's a worthwhile investment...thanks...
Old 10-11-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

Originally Posted by usafcushman
do they normally come in the sedan?...it's not too hard to make some angled mounts, but i'd rather have the stock look...and what size are the factory tweets? (will they allow for a 3/4" tweeter replacement?)...just wondering if it's a worthwhile investment...thanks...
With a small amount of modification (removing the backing plate for the stock tweet, and some sanding) they'll fit fine. I've had several sets in mine already.
Old 10-12-2004

sweet...thanks alot...
Old 10-12-2004
es2
bubble party!!!

got my system in, it sounds realy good except one of the speaker when the system is not turned up pops and when u rev it up it starts whistling, I heard there is something called a filter that fill fix it
Old 10-12-2004

check your other post about this...more replies there...
Old 10-12-2004
es2
bubble party!!!

yeah i did