I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Which speakers would you choose!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UltimateWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Which speakers would you choose!!

Ok, I think these comps will fit my car, according to Crutchfield.

Which would you choose based on personal opinion of the brand? The specs look almost the same but the Polks are on sale! I like Crutchfield because they include all the installation stuff.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-og6clL5...&avf=Y&search=

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-og6clL5...&avf=Y&search=

I really want a nice set of speakers up front because with the awesome subs I have now I don't even need rears. So, would you go with something like this up front or do you think I even need comps? I know this subject goes around and around but I think comps will give me better overall sound.

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2004

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by UltimateWarrior

I really want a nice set of speakers up front because with the awesome subs I have now I don't even need rears. So, would you go with something like this up front or do you think I even need comps? Thanks!
oK, Where to begin. . . You say you want nice speakers but what you've linked to IMO are not "nice." These are what I would consider slight upgrades over stock. Bear in mind that what I like may not be what you like. There a tons of great speakers on the market. If you asked 10 audio pros what are the best components for say, 600-1000, you'd get at least 7 different answers. Anyway, as far what you've linked to. I just realized that I have never heard any Polks but Momos. That said, I don't really even like Momos so I'm doubtful I would like anything lower end in a polk. Infinity Kapas are nice. The Refs are not nearly as good. Even the Kapas sound a little cold to me. Personally, I haven't taken much time to listen long and hard to inexpensive speakers. My advice to you, stop messing around. You've posted numerous questions about audio so far so I know it's fairly important to you. Anti up a little extra dough for your fronts. If you don't have the money now, wait until you do. It'll be worth it. Listen to me - YOU WILL NOT BE SATISFIED WITH $150 SPEAKERS! Spend the money for some CDT Cls, Quart reference or Boston Acoustics. They may be some installation issues to overcome and it may be more than you wanted to spend but I am trying to by straight up with you. The 100-150 speakers are not much better than what you've already got.

Jason
Old 09-29-2004
Registered!!

MassMayhem is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^^Excisely

Save your pennies and look into some decent components. JL makes some true 6" speakers that will allow you to maintain the existing speaker mounts. All you need to do is trim the plastic water shield to get the depth you need. The tweeter actually mounts in the same fashion as the stock tweet. $300 retail, probably not in your ballpark, just make your ballpark bigger!
Old 09-29-2004

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah, forgot the Jls. I like them too. Remind me a tiny bit of Quarts. UW, if you've got dollar dreams and penny means, just wait it out a bit, you got a B day coming up, or xmas or Hanukkah (forgive spelling) or something.
Old 09-29-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Yea, I know... audio is important to me so I hear where you're coming from. I really did think those speakers I linked to would be a considerable upgrade from the Panasonics I have now but I'm glad you told me. $300 is not out of my range but I would have to wait a little while to bump up that high. $600-$1000, Um, no thanks. My wife would kill me! Again, I want to be happy with the audio in my car because I drive all day long and I spend half the day sometimes driving around town for my work. So, a quality sound system is very important to me and I'm getting excited about hooking up my two new subs! I'll live with the Panasonics for now and once I amp them hopefully I can deal with them for a while.

If anyone wants to add to this or provide some links to real speakers feel free! I will keep them all in mind for when the time comes.

Thanks guys for the advice.
Old 09-29-2004
www.8thgencivics.com

nikoscivicex is an unknown quantity at this point
Here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...722366694&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...722889764&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...722368411&rd=1
Old 09-29-2004
Since 2002 Baby!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

chicohonda02 has a spectacular aura aboutchicohonda02 has a spectacular aura about
I would choose the Polk's cause the reference are ok, but not that great, from my experience. i even listen to some kappa's. and wasn't inpressed, taking in the fact they were not amped.(running off deck).
Old 09-29-2004

Originally Posted by Chicohonda02
I would choose the Polk's cause the reference are ok, but not that great, from my experience. i even listen to some kappa's. and wasn't inpressed, taking in the fact they were not amped.(running off deck).
If they were off the deck, forget about what you heard.

J
Old 09-29-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

So those Infinity Perfects would be ok? Those are a little over $200 with shipping, which was closer to my current budget. If I have to spend over $300 then I'll wait until next year depending if I can stand my current Panasonics that long!

Anyone want to comment on these Infinity Perfect 6.1's? Also, you think they would fit? I know I'd need a spacer...for sure.
Old 09-29-2004
Registered!!

vietfob714 is an unknown quantity at this point
the infinities are awesome. Installed them in my friends rsx-s. They have to be amped though. If your not gonna amp em, then dont bother gettin them cuz its just a waste of money. You'll never get the true potential out of them running it off a deck.
Old 09-29-2004
Premium Member

shmik1 has disabled reputation
I have polk components (Polk MOMO), w/ an alpine 4chan amp and I love em, I know there are better out there, but for the price I think they're decent.. my polkMOMO 6x9s are MMC690, so the components are wutever ones match w/ that.. If I had tons of $ to waste I would buy something better of course, but I wont buy used speakers.. just my 0.02
Old 09-29-2004
www.8thgencivics.com

nikoscivicex is an unknown quantity at this point
If you are going to spend the money on expensive speakers they need to be amped! The hu is going to put out decent sound but it will never be as clean as a nice amp pushing them.
Old 09-29-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by nikoscivicex
If you are going to spend the money on expensive speakers they need to be amped! The hu is going to put out decent sound but it will never be as clean as a nice amp pushing them.
They will be amped.
Old 09-29-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
If you're not putting them on an amp, my advice to you is to ditch everything and go with the stock speakers. They're made for deck power, they'll sound as good, if not better, than anything else off the deck. I wouldn't recommend anything other than stock off of the deck, as it's useless, and fruitless. That said, why shop crutchfield? True, they have decent customer service, though about 50% of them there are still dicks. They include the stuff to install them? What, some plug and play harnesses to run them off the deck? Again, pointless to do. That, coupled with teh fact that a set of components usually come with a crossover, and I have yet to see one where a harness plugs into both the crossover in and out to the speaker. Is it really a convienence thing with them? Try some of the other online dealers, save yourself a whole lot of money, or spend the same money you would through crutchfield on these and getsomething much better from a different online vendor and get an amp as well.
Old 09-29-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Um, again... they will be amped.

Anyway, I liked Crutchfield simply because they are a reputable company, the "goodies" they give you make for an easier install and by the time you spend looking for those extras and the hassle you deal with, sometimes I don't mind paying a tad more for that convenience. Again, it's all a personal opinion, nothing more.

My original question was about which speakers were better, not who I get them from. Can we please stick to the topic?

Oh yea.... once more in case someone else misses it....

YES, they WILL be amped!
Old 09-29-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I have infinity all around 6.1 speakers amped except the tweets Sounds SO much better than stock.
Old 09-30-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Thank you.
Old 09-30-2004

SHMIK1 - Speakers in one case where beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Its sorta like food, not one of us could say hamburgers are better than pizza. It is our own unique taste. If you "Love" you polks, maybe there ISN'T anything much better out there. Anyone that tells you your speakers are wrong for you doesn't know **** about audio (unless they are alpine - lol).

Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
That said, why shop crutchfield? True, they have decent customer service, though about 50% of them there are still dicks.
HAHAHAHA

Iron, Perfects are definitely an upgrade over stock. I actually plan to use them in my GF's ride. I personally think that Infinity isn't as deep as I'd like. That''s not to say you wouldn't love em'. And if its gonna be a whole actual year before you can afford 299 for some other speakers, go for something like those perfects now. If it'll be like 2 months, wait.

Jason
Old 09-30-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
my suggestion to you is to go to shops and listen to speakers, then order online once you determine what speakers you want.
Old 09-30-2004
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
IMO, I like those Polks better...I have heard both and like both. The Infinitys lack midbass, and the Polks can't handle a great amount of power if crossed over to low.

i think Mystic is 100% right though...go to store and test 'em out...they are very common speakers that you can find at a lot of major electronics stores.
Old 09-30-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

I dunno, maybe it's me but when I listen to stuff in the stores it's hard for me to guage. After all, they have all sorts of various amps hooked up to them and you never know what's really pushing them. I probably could listen to five sets of speakers in a shop like that and wouldn't be able to really tell the difference, especially if they were similar in power.

My ears aren't the greatest... (huh?).. so maybe I just don't have the "ear" for music like some people do, who knows. So, to probably answer my own question on this topic I could say to myself...

"Get either the Polk or the Infinity, after all... you probably won't tell the difference!"

I do think I've narrowed it down to the Infinity Perfects though and I have the funds to get them off Ebay so I may do that after all. Ebay has them cheaper, even after shipping and this holds true for most things. Just be careful who you buy them from. Make sure they have a good rating!

Well, thanks for all the input but I think I made up my mind. Finally!

Oh yea, they will be amped!... Just in case I didn't mention it.
Old 09-30-2004
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
Infinity perfects need a lot of power to sound good, IMO
Old 09-30-2004
Registered!!

brash is an unknown quantity at this point
Any reason you are getting Infinity Perfects off Ebay for $200+, when you could get:

JL Audio VR650CSi ($160+)
Polk Momo MM6 ($175+)
CDT CL-61a ($150)
Alpine Type R ($120+)
Infinity Kappa ($90+)

I'm not saying the Perfects aren't good speakers, I'm just wondering if you've really thought out why you need to spend the extra $25 - $110 for them over other good speakers...

Last edited by brash; 09-30-2004 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by brash
Any reason you are getting Infinity Perfects off Ebay for $200+, when you could get:

JL Audio VR650CSi ($160+)
Polk Momo MM6 ($175+)
CDT CL-61a ($150)
Alpine Type R ($120+)
Infinity Kappa ($90+)

I'm not saying the Perfects aren't good speakers, I'm just wondering if you've really thought out why you need to spend the extra $25 - $110 for them over other good speakers...
Um, nope. So, what would you choose for the money? Or, let's put it this way. What is the best 6.5" for under $200? After all, I am just getting opinions and no, I don't have to buy from Ebay. I just find that sometimes you can get better deals from there, that's all.
Old 09-30-2004

alex053 will become famous soon enough
choose the one that sounds best to you.....some people think Q Series quarts are to harsh or dynaudio is to midbass heavy, ect ect....get off your *** and go listen to some music that you like thru the speakers youre considering.
Old 09-30-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by Alex053
....get off your *** and go listen to some music that you like thru the speakers youre considering.

I can see this post is going nowhere. Thanks to those who had some intelligent input, I appreciate it. Case closed. I'll take what I gained from the opinions and look into it more. I have time!

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2004
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
why not alpine type s components for the front 6.5 and there type s 6x9 in the back other members have said it sounds perfect and fits perfectly
Old 09-30-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by runner1738
why not alpine type s components for the front 6.5 and there type s 6x9 in the back other members have said it sounds perfect and fits perfectly
I have a Sedan. My rears are also 6.5"
Old 10-01-2004

Originally Posted by runner1738
Usually I like to say that different speakers sound good to different people. Fonto might think his Perfects blow away QSDs, Lud loves his Utopias, I can't let go of my QM Quarts. But Alpine, ah, I just think alpine speakers are awful.
Old 10-01-2004
The LA Clipper

Originally Posted by J187
Usually I like to say that different speakers sound good to different people. Fonto might think his Perfects blow away QSDs, Lud loves his Utopias, I can't let go of my QM Quarts. But Alpine, ah, I just think alpine speakers are awful.
for the record, Q's blow almost everything I have heard out of the water...even on a sound board...mainly because the tweeters sound amazingly accurate to me, and the mids have the mid-bass that i think the Premiums lacked

Quick Reply: Which speakers would you choose!!