I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

something's wrong with my speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iLLuMiNaTi is an unknown quantity at this point
something's wrong with my speakers

hey
well recently i took out my subs and was too lazy to put them back in and wire up the amp again, so i just turned my amp (DEI Viper 400.2), that powers the components (DEI Viper 650.2), to have a full crossover range, and turned the bass boost up some more. when I do this and i turn the volume up to about 16 on my kenwood HU, my passenger-side woofer makes really weird/strange noises. but until 16 it plays everything as it's supposed to be, so i'm guessing i didn't blow the speaker. only way i could describe the messed up sound is like something's vibrating a lot or maybe even touching something (what would a speaker sound like if its excursion caused it to hit a doorpanel?). all other speakers sound fine. i checked all the screws and tightened them a little more, but still the sound was messed up. could there be something loose? could the shop, where i had it installed, have done something wrong in making a spacer and installing the 0.25" thicker than stock speakers?

thx in advance
Axel
Old 09-18-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
Put your amp back to highpass, turn off the bassbost and see what happens. You shouldent be running speakers on fullrange unless you have an active or passive crossover and know how to adjust it.

BTW, it COULD be blown. I've had blown speakers play fine at low volume and sound bad as I turned it up.
Old 09-18-2004
Registered!!

iLLuMiNaTi is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Mystic3030
Put your amp back to highpass, turn off the bassbost and see what happens. You shouldent be running speakers on fullrange unless you have an active or passive crossover and know how to adjust it.

BTW, it COULD be blown. I've had blown speakers play fine at low volume and sound bad as I turned it up.
but then wouldn't that mean that both my passenger AND my driver's-side woofers would be failing to play the music?
also.. what does a blown speaker look like?
Old 09-18-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
You might see if the speaker cone is torn. Other than that, the sound just might be door panel resonance. They sell small pads that can be put behind the speaker and improve midbass.