I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

I want to get a mid-bass driver - what should I get and where should I put it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
faultyscrew is an unknown quantity at this point
^I would tell you how deep they are but I can't seem to get to their site or find any specs on them probably because they haven't really hit the market yet. I'll have to keep checking and see if anyone's tried to get them into our door panels when they come out.
Old 09-17-2004
Registered!!

What is the maximum mounting depth in the coupe door panles anyway? The Koda is under 3". The Image Dynamics CX is 2.8". The RE from a picture looks pretty deep - definately over 3 inches - probably somewhere near 4 like lud said - not sure though.

RE XXX 6.5
Old 09-17-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
oop, almost forgot. if you are considering the ID chameleon series, you can think of them as more of an upper midbass driver, rather than a pure midbass driver. The ultimate low frequency response cant touch that of koda, DD, or some of the super SQ mids out there...

I might throw out CDT HD midwoofers as something ot keep an eye out for on a demo board. I dont know if they sell them seperately though, and they kinda retail for $450 for the whole set....
Old 09-17-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
^^^ yeah CDT is a good choice for mid bass too. i actually have a set of CDT HD-62 (6.5" components) i bought with intent to install. but now i have almost 1k in unplanned bills to consider. if you want to go this route i can sell you these for about half of retail, and they only been hooked up to test/demonstrate, never installed in a car.
Old 09-17-2004
Registered!!

^Hmmmm that's an option. They seems pretty good - how do they compare to the Koda as a pure/dedicated mid-bass driver? I forgot to even consider CDT when researching for a driver. I usually associate CDT with component sets and such and not as separate/dedicated drivers.

Would you be selling the entire component set or just the mid-bass drivers? I'm unsure of what I would do with the rest of the comp. set - just get back to me on some details and maybe some pictures if you have any?
Old 09-17-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
You could prob fit some Illusion ND-8's in that door with a little cutting.
Old 09-17-2004
Registered!!

^Nah - I'm trying to go for no modifications needed. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old 09-17-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
its not possible to get any speaker in there with the front wave separated from the rear wave around the speaker directly without either a spacer, cutting the door, or both.

you can get away with a store bought spacer and no cutting if the motor is small.

but the hole is just too oddly shaped to get a seal with nothing
Old 09-17-2004
Registered!!

and you CAN NOT fit the motor of a koda into the door without some minor cutting:

edit: that hole was made FOR a koda driver, and it fit beautifully with tons of window clearance with a 1" spacer.

no door panel modifications were needed. only the 1 inch spacer and that hole cut and hammered

Last edited by WhiteRabbit; 09-17-2004 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-17-2004
Registered!!

^I guess there no way around it - alomst everything I want to put in requires some type of modification - at least the Koda has only small modifications needed and has good window clearance. How much mods do you think the ID CX will need?
Old 09-18-2004
Registered!!

same as the koda. Ive put a pair of those in a wrx, they have the same motor size and same 3 inch depth. no difference in installability from the koda whatsoever.
Old 09-18-2004
Registered!!

doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
cdt woofer has 2.75" mounting depth needed, so not a ton better. but some

i'd rather sell the whole set because like you i don't have much of a need for the tweets, i'm going to use a set of koda tweets in my scaled back setup. but i'd consider parting it out i guess. never had koda mids so i can't compare them.

6.5" Cast Contoured Dispersion Mid. feature "Contoured Dispersion" radiation pattern in the critical midrange frequencies, delivers rock solid imaging and front staging, with virtually no side biasing. "Audiophile" sound, smoother response, wider dynamic range, and better imaging and higher reliability.
high quality 6.5" magnesium cast basket, woofer with curve linear design carbon treated paper cones. Stainless steel top and bottom magnet plates for better heat transfer and dissipation.
ceramic 14.6 oz woofer magnet
gold plated terminals
butyl rubber surrounds
flat spider-allows a consistently linear cone excursion
25mm high temp aluminum voice coil former
130 watts power handling- at 100 Hz High Pass
frequency response 55Hz-7kHz flat(6.5-octave response)
Sensitivity 93.10 dB (2.83V)
4 Ohm
recommended high pass x-over point 65-90Hz
recommended box design 5.8 liters

i sent u a PM
Old 09-19-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
I have some spacers laying around somewhere. Now that I have kicks I don't run door speakers anymore.