I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Help needed about car audio guys, I know you guys must know this!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tgctruly is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Help needed about car audio guys, I know you guys must know this!

Hi audio pros, I bought a alpine 9831 hu/infinity 6.5" kappa 60.5 for my ride which has been jacked couple month ago><, after reading alot posts about car audio come out with questions I need and found out this site has all the top pros about car audio.
1. My car is jacked, b4 I had 2 amps, the thieves left me with cut wires in the trunk and front deck. I wonder if I can just get them just hooked with a new amp without running the wires again(did by shop).

2. The infinity comp speaker runs "Recommended RMS Power: 90W". I want to know what's a good amp (like how big in watts?) for supporting them that they won't blow fast (last long).

3. The theft left me my ppi 6x9 speakers (max power handling :150watt), I have seen people talking about buy 2 channel amp run front comp set, and use hu run the rear, I wonder if this works better rather than run all 4 speakers by a 4 channel amp, this sounds like more professional from what I observed but I still need a good advice about which will match better for my ride.

4. I am new (well not totally new after reading alot) on car audio, and I look amp come with #watt x4 @4ohms / #watt x4 @2ohms? what are these "ohms" for system? and if I buy amp for my ride, I look for watt@4ohms or watt@2ohms!? heard about they are like resistance, but I still don't get it..

5. My idea is that too big watts amp with too small watt speaker will blow the speaker if in loud volume. and too big watt speaker with too small wat amp will blow the amp. if this is right.. 50wattx4/75wattx4 are how many watts in total output, I don't know how to calculate the total output, if you pro know. Appreciate the help, and I look forward just like you audio pro, and I am learning how to install those system! tks!
Old 08-23-2004
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

baggedblue02 will become famous soon enoughbaggedblue02 will become famous soon enough
For the wires you should be able to reuse them as long as you have enough to reach your amp. If they cut the RCA's then don't try to splice new ends to them just re-run with new ones.
Watts really don't mean as much as some people think. You can go out and buy a cheap 2000 watt amp and an expensive 300watt will out perform it. Same with speakers... they may say 1000 watts each and not sound good at all. If you do buy a big watt amp and hook it up to a lower watt speaker (cheap one) it may blow the speaker, but amps come with an adjuster so keep it very low to begin with and adjust up until you get it to sound like you want.
If you hook a good high watt speaker to a small amp it shouldn't hurt the amp. It just may not push the speaker enough to get the full potential out.
Just go with less watts and a better name than more watts and some no-name brand. You will be more pleased in the end
Old 08-23-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Ohm's Law:
http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslaw.asp

maybe that will help with your understanding of phms as they relate to car audio.
Old 08-23-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
put some adequate power to your fronts and you won't miss the rears. if you're running a sub the bass will help fill the sound up enough. speakers have a certain ohm assigned to them, most are 4 ohms, so use that # when amp shoppping. note you can combine 2 channels on a 4 channel amp into one, making it a 2 channel amp, and giving you more power for your buck. also allows you then to use it as a 4 channel amp f you don't like just having fronts amped
Old 08-23-2004
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tgctruly
Hi audio pros, I bought a alpine 9831 hu/infinity 6.5" kappa 60.5 for my ride which has been jacked couple month ago><, after reading alot posts about car audio come out with questions I need and found out this site has all the top pros about car audio.

1. My car is jacked, b4 I had 2 amps, the thieves left me with cut wires in the trunk and front deck. I wonder if I can just get them just hooked with a new amp without running the wires again(did by shop).

You can either a) use your existing power wire if it is still long enough to mount your amp close to it, or b) using a distro block, run your power wire into it and run a new piece of wire from the distro to your amp, or c) splice the 2 wires into each other and cover with electrical tape which is not a recommended practice that I would follow

2. The infinity comp speaker runs "Recommended RMS Power: 90W". I want to know what's a good amp (like how big in watts?) for supporting them that they won't blow fast (last long).

You can run as much as 90 watts RMS to those rear speakers. If you were running a 2 channel amp, it would need to be 100x2, if it was a 4-chan it would need to be 100x4. You don't necessarily need that much power, probably 50x4 would suffice

3. The theft left me my ppi 6x9 speakers (max power handling :150watt), I have seen people talking about buy 2 channel amp run front comp set, and use hu run the rear, I wonder if this works better rather than run all 4 speakers by a 4 channel amp, this sounds like more professional from what I observed but I still need a good advice about which will match better for my ride.

Get a 4 channel amp to power ALL your speakers. Your deck does not put out very much or very clean power, so putting all your speakers on an amplifier will sound way better

4. I am new (well not totally new after reading alot) on car audio, and I look amp come with #watt x4 @4ohms / #watt x4 @2ohms? what are these "ohms" for system? and if I buy amp for my ride, I look for watt@4ohms or watt@2ohms!? heard about they are like resistance, but I still don't get it..

You want to look for x watts @ 4 ohms. You get a load such as 2 ohms by wiring the speakers in a different configuration. With 4 speakers on a 4 channel amp you will not run into this. Each 4 ohm speaker will connect to it's own seperate amplifier channel so you will not need to worry about wiring your speakers or presenting your amplifier with a certain ohm load

5. My idea is that too big watts amp with too small watt speaker will blow the speaker if in loud volume. and too big watt speaker with too small wat amp will blow the amp. if this is right.. 50wattx4/75wattx4 are how many watts in total output, I don't know how to calculate the total output, if you pro know. Appreciate the help, and I look forward just like you audio pro, and I am learning how to install those system! tks!
Get an amp that is say 75x4 and you will be fine. It seems like your speakers have high power handling, so 75 watts rms would be sufficient. Get the total power by adding 75+75+75+75.
Old 08-23-2004
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Hope that was of some help