I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

First time install amp,subs,HU tips please...TIA

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
First time install amp,subs,HU tips please...TIA

Hello,

My plan is to install an Alpine 9831 HU, with 2 10" MTX thunder 4500 subs powered by an Alpine M200 1 channel amp. Could the experts give me a quick outline of all the tools and parts I'm gonna need to do this install as well as procedure like best order to install and such as what's the best path to run power/ground/rca calbes from the engine to the trunk, etc? I've never done this before but am eager to learn and prefer to do it myself. Thanks for you help.

ps. I have a 2001 LX coupe

Last edited by drcivic; 08-12-2004 at 08:03 PM. Reason: forgot to say what model
Old 08-12-2004
Registered!!

meseetree is on a distinguished road
it will take forever for me to post look at the DIY for the amp install and stuff and any questions that the DIY doesn't answer look at crutchfield they tell you everything
Old 08-12-2004
Registered!!

brash is an unknown quantity at this point
I assume you have an enclosure (or two) for the subs? Also that you have a HU kit for the dash? And a fuse for your power wire?

Stuff I would recommend having:

1. A sheet of MDF (at least 3' x 3')

2. A saw, preferably powered. If a hand saw, I might recommend just some pine or something instead of MDF, as MDF is not easy to cut by hand!

3. A drill.

4. Velcro strips. Something like Velcro One-Wrap. At the least, you want something to stick on your sub box to keep it anchored to your trunk, unless you are screwing it down.

5. A coat hanger (for poking holes/running cable).

6. A can of silicon spray (to lube up the cables -- mainly the power wire as you try to get it through the rubber grommet to the outside).

Tips:

1. Run the RCAs and the power on opposite sides of the car. (You also need to run a remote wire, but I don't know which is the best side. My recommendation would be on the power wire side.)

2. Ground the amp no more than 3 feet away. There is a recent thread here about a good place to ground it. I grounded it on the middle back seat seatbelt bolt (I have a sedan, so I don't know the procedure for a coupe). Search around for how to get the back seat off.

3. Take your time. Plan to have the whole day free, since this is the first time you've done something like this... you'll probably find that you need more time than you think.

4. Search around this site for how to take apart the dash and get a new HU in. It's not actually all that simple.

5. I don't know where you plan to mount the amp, but I highly suggest mounting it on a piece of MDF (or other wood). I mounted it on the back of the rear seats, the following way:

Cut a sheet of MDF out that fits inside the seat on top of the metal bars, that you can screw your amp onto. Cut out two more strips of MDF that are the same height as the sheet, and put them underneath the metal bars. Attach the sheet on top of the metal bars to the strips underneath so that the sheet is stable and does not move. Now put the seat back together, and screw the amp into the sheet.

6. Always predrill screw holes.

7. Make sure you have an internet connection nearby so you can look stuff up!

8. Search around for where to run wires, and how to take stuff apart.

That's all I can think of. It's not too hard, but since it is your first time, it'll be a little more effort. Don't force stuff too hard, but don't be too gentle.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-12-2004
Registered!!

brash is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by meseetree
it will take forever for me to post look at the DIY for the amp install and stuff and any questions that the DIY doesn't answer look at crutchfield they tell you everything
Yeah, crutchfield has a basic video on installing an amp, which is nice if you have no clue what you are doing (like me, when I installed stuff... ).
Old 08-12-2004
Registered!!

xtreme26 has a spectacular aura aboutxtreme26 has a spectacular aura aboutxtreme26 has a spectacular aura about
whats the site?
Old 08-12-2004
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
takumi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by xtreme26
whats the site?
www.crutchfield.com
Old 08-12-2004
Registered!!

are you talking about crutchfield.com i hope not! don't tell me you don't know about crutchfield!
Old 08-12-2004
Registered!!

xtreme26 has a spectacular aura aboutxtreme26 has a spectacular aura aboutxtreme26 has a spectacular aura about
no i didnt i kno im late
Old 08-12-2004
Registered!!

oh ok. just wanted to make sure
Old 08-14-2004
Registered!!

Thanks for everyone's help, I've read up on it and I think I have an idea of what needs to be done. I will make sure I have an interent connection to this site nearby! One last question, would it be better to buy an amp wiring kit or should I just buy the wiring and connectors seperately in bulk? Thanks.
Old 08-14-2004
Registered!!

cheaper to buy a kit but make sure it's not a cheap one unless you don't care.
Old 08-14-2004
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
You can buy everythng in bulk, but if it's your first install you probably want to get an amp kit and if you break anything or need more supplies just buy it as you need it.
Old 08-14-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
It's actually cheaper to buy the cables seperately, off of a roll at a local audio shop.
Old 08-14-2004
Registered!!

I'm putting in the HU right now and I have the DIN and dashkit all installed. When I slide the deck into the DIN, the mounting screws don't line up with the factory metal back bracket that was there before to screw the old deck and bottom flip compartment. How did u guys secure your aftermarket deck so it doesn't bounce when going over bumps? Thanks.
Old 08-14-2004
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
go pay a shop to set your gains
Old 08-15-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
dr: My screw holes lined up on mine, when I originally had it in the factory spot. If they don't, you can always drill holes in the stock bracket to run your iso-mount screws through and into the iso-mount screw holes in the aftermarket HU.
Old 08-15-2004
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
The holes gotta line up somehow...
Old 08-15-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

This is what I was thinking, maybe the mounting cage is just upside down or something.