I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Installing Pioneer 8600MP

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aznsensation18 is just really niceaznsensation18 is just really niceaznsensation18 is just really niceaznsensation18 is just really niceaznsensation18 is just really nice
Installing Pioneer 8600MP

How hard is it for me to install the Pioneer 8600MP...is the install pretty hard or should i let a shop do this for me....
Old 05-21-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Umm... can't you just follow the DIY for installing a HU?
Old 05-21-2004
Registered!!

aznsensation18 is just really niceaznsensation18 is just really niceaznsensation18 is just really niceaznsensation18 is just really niceaznsensation18 is just really nice
i went into DIY and i found removing factory headunit. I didnt find anything on installing a HU..... Is there a DIY on how to install it....is it pretty easy...removing seems pretty easy...how about the wiring????
Old 05-21-2004
Registered!!

does anyone else have anymore information i should know? should i have a pro do it or is easy enough for me to do it?????
Old 05-21-2004
Registered!!

vietfob714 is an unknown quantity at this point
here are a few things you need

Dash Kit
Wire Harness
Crimper
Butt Connectors
Electrical Tape

the harness clicks to your stock harness and connects to your cd player harness... there are all diff colors red, black, yellow blah blah.... you connect all of them together. Color to color. strip a small part at the ends of wires, use a butt connector and crimp them together. thats it =o) if you got any questions pm me
Old 05-21-2004
Registered!!

ok...what is a butt connector....?? i got the dash kit, the harness, elec tape, what is a Crimper as well...i am going to this tonight so i need all the help possible...
Old 05-21-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
butt connector: device used for connecting two seperate pieces of wire. these are crimp on devices, you simply crimp one side to one wire, and the other side on the other wire.

another option you could use is closed end connectors. with those, you twist the two wires together, then crimp the closed end connector on them to secure them.

yet another option would be to use wire nuts (i don't like them personally) but they'd work. same as closed end connectors but instead of crimping on, you screw them on.

yet another option (my personal favorite) is to solder the connections and use heat shrink tubing on them. if you do this make sure you get electrical safe solder.

a crimper is a tool used to crimp the connectors (assuming you decide to use some that need crimping). Easily picked up at a hardware store, automotive store for a few bucks (at least for the cheap ones).

If you do decide to use the butt connectors, I'd say that it may be a good idea to go ahead and spend the extra pennies and get the marine grade ones. Once you crimp them on, you use a heat source (ie: heat gun, cig lighter, torch, match, whatever) and heat shrink the tubing around the wire.

To install, match up the wires on the wiring harnesses (required to install aftermarket radio, well not required, but it's a whole lot quicker, and easier) by color. There should be two pieces, one that connects to aftermatket radio, and one that is plugged into the stock wiring harness. simply wire them together by color. plug the aftermarket side into the aftermarket radio (Pioneer 8600 in your case) and plug the other side to the stock wiring harness. Bada bing, bada boom, installed (well, after you get the dash kit and all that in. (I could have swore there was a DIY for replacing the HU on here.)
Old 05-21-2004
Registered!!

well imma give this a try imma run to radio shack and pick up some but connectors
Old 05-22-2004
Registered!!

playaz0429 is an unknown quantity at this point
i think u can have it done at any local shop for like 40 bux, IMO, if i didnt know what a butt connector is, i wouldnt try to wire up a stereo, especially a $500 one.
Old 05-23-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

You get it installed azn?
Old 05-23-2004
Registered!!

yup did it yesterday....took only about 45....in the DIY on how to remove the cigarette lighter is wrong...in the 03 ex it is screwed in...
Old 05-24-2004
Registered!!

Ok...does anyone know how to get the diffrent screen savers on the head unit.... i found them on the pioneer web site now i have to find a way to get it on CD-R..????