I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

New Audio System, any good? Looking for OEM fitting speakers if possible

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002exII is an unknown quantity at this point
Question New Audio System, any good? Looking for OEM fitting speakers if possible

Hi !

I am looking for speakers to add to my 2002 Ex Coupe that will not require cutting of the sheet metal; I heard this can cause leaks. The JL audio site claims their CS600 series fits right in to most Japanese cars. I am going to be running a sub and amps, so should I care about the missing bass that I will loose by having a smaller speaker? Please make any recommendations to my list below, I really don’t want to modify the car much, want it to look stock (besides the new head unit), but I might consider it if you guys can show good reason to. Thanks!!

I am considering the JL VR600-CSi for the fronts, any one know if these will really fit in the stock slots? Tweets and Woofers?

http://www.jlaudio.com/evolution/VR600CS.html

I am considering the the VR600-CXi for the rears:

http://www.jlaudio.com/evolution/VR600CX.html

for the sub 10w3v2:

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/w3v2.html

2 channel amp RF 3002:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...h%20Amplifiers

4 channel amp RF 4004:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...h%20Amplifiers

Last edited by 2002exII; 05-12-2004 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-12-2004
www.AbsouluteDriven.com

obtix is an unknown quantity at this point
ANy of the JL Audio stuff would be great - I would stay away from the RF amps. If you can afford it go with the JL amps.
Old 05-12-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
If you can't afford the JL stuff, you could look into the JBL line (amazing power at an affordable price, and IMO better than the RF stuff)
Old 05-12-2004
Banned

irishtemper has a spectacular aura aboutirishtemper has a spectacular aura about
I agree JL amps run the same power from 10 volts to 14.4 volts and the RF will say 500w but its at 14.4 volts and cars run like 13v or less and you wont get the 500w it says. for the front go with JL 6.5 or5.25 whatever will fit but get the best ones and for the rear just go with a small mid bass,no tweeters,,,,,and set your fader to the front most of the way just so the rears are noticable but not too much. and set the balance to the right a little as the drivers seat is off axis and also keep the front components as close as possible. you spend more on the fronts but spend less on the rears you dont really need so it evens out, and this will be a killer system. what are you using for a head unit?
Old 05-12-2004
Registered!!

2002exII is an unknown quantity at this point
My budget is really around 2100 dollars, that is why I went with RF amps. The JL's are a bit more pricey Also my choice in speakers is really just due to that fact that they will supposedly fit stock and sound pretty good as well. I'm really not wanting to have some shop cut in to my car. The JL amps push it up almost another thousand

I am planning on a Alpine CDA-9835 for the head unit.

Please guys suggest away..
Old 05-12-2004
Registered!!

Hypnotik is an unknown quantity at this point
nice choice on the head unit. no need to restrict your speaker choice by the stock fit, im not sure if any speakers actually will fit the stock opening because of its odd shape. just order 1" Scosche spacers (or make your own), you can get them from sounddomain.com, you can fit pretty much any 6.5" using them. all you'll need is longer screws (i used #8x2inch), no sheet metal cutting required.

Model # on the spacers is SS65
http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/SCOSS65

Last edited by Hypnotik; 05-12-2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-12-2004
Banned

irishtemper has a spectacular aura aboutirishtemper has a spectacular aura about
well here is an idea, you could go with what you like or you could replace the front speakers with the JL XR650CSi,,,,,,,, add a 2 channel JL amp no need to go big,,,,, the JL sub and JL amp, same as the one for the components, you have to matching amps and leave the rear speakers stock and connect them to the new stereo, you will save money on installation and buying a smaller amp..........one other suggestion,,,,,,,, run the front and rear speakers off the stereo amp XR 650CSi for the front and for the rear 6x9 by JL # TR690 TXi then buy the sub (s) and amp you want and save a ton of money you have one less amp less wires and other parts to worry about this way it will still sound good off the stereo on the XR series I had them and it was good enough. I hope this gives some ideas for your budget
Old 05-13-2004
www.AbsouluteDriven.com

obtix is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I recommend JL and Eclipse amps. If you have the cash run Xtant. If you have a tight budget look into Kick or even Coustic (believe it or not Coustic's developer was the orig. guy from Xtant.. and these amps really are pretty good).