I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Fatmat smell?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted
Arrow Fatmat smell?

Ive been reading up on sound deadning and I keep seeing people post that Fatmat has a bad smell that stays for months. What exactly does it smell like....? And couldnt you just spray some cologne? or maybe some freebreze?
Old 05-04-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regularjoe is on a distinguished road
I used it in my truck and had no smell. Well, I did, but it was from the glue I used on the boxes I built.
Old 05-04-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
It stunk like wolf***** for about 10-25 minutes in my application. I guess I put it on right though, with a heat gun and all. I put mine in, and then replaced my carpet, and it didn't smell at all. Not even the part on the rear deck that is not carpeted.
Old 05-04-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
It depends on how fresh it is. I have a roll thats been sitting in my room for about a year now, and it has no smell anymore, but when I first installed it the smell was there for a month or two. It smells like asphalt. If you unroll the fatmat and leave it in the sun for a day or two before installation the smell will be reduced.
Old 05-04-2004
I R T3H 1338
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

auto84 will become famous soon enoughauto84 will become famous soon enough
^^^^ ditto. ^^^^
Old 05-04-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Well the only place I have fatmat is under the hood. That stuff is absolutely terrible. It smelled like strong tar for a few months. Almost a year later, you can still smell it if you sniff nearby--and this is with constant circulation with outside air. And it doesn't stick well.
Old 05-04-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

My fatmat has been sticking perfectly for about a year now...none has fallen, and the smell is totally gone. Even the stuff I have underhood is still there, and no longer smells. Maybe you got a bad batch or something.
Old 05-04-2004
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
it smells like tar....

btw, if you're a smoker, you shouldn't complain...the cigarettes are doing more damage to your health than the fat mat :P
Old 05-06-2004
Registered!!

petes97 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have my entire trunk covered. It smelled for a couple days. Not too bad. I have never covered it with carpet since I installed it months ago and I spend 2-3 hours a day in my car.
Old 05-06-2004
Registered!!

jmaz is an unknown quantity at this point
those of yoiu that have use fatmat!

what kind of sound quality gains if any have you noticed?

i plan on doing some sound deadening and would like to hear some feed back
Old 05-06-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I just got the hood liner kit. Engine noise stayed the same. Good thing that's the only fatmat I bought. Stick with dynamat for the best quality and no smell. Brown bread is good and you won't smell it under the carpet. It still smells a little, but not too bad.
Old 05-06-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
i never got any smell from the fatmat. a piece did fall off my door and stick onto my window once though, make sure you apply it well. i was out there with a bottle of nail polish remover and a razor blade for about a half hour getting the tar off my window, that ish was sticky.

about carpet, i used 3M spray adhesive to carpet my rear deck and that stuff seems to make my car smell like a wet cat now... just a word of warning. i febreezed it and it wore off after a week
Old 05-06-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

My hood liner cut engine noise by about 50%, and the fatmat stops rattles, and you notice a little bit of a change in the way your bass sounds...its hard to describe.
Old 05-09-2004
Registered!!

custom2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
It smelled in my car for months after i put it on. I only noticed it for a couple weeks then must have adjusted to the smell but everyone else that got in definatly smelled the freshly paved road smell and it fell off the bottom side of my rear deck on my sub amp, so i ripped it all out of the car, which wasnt that difficult of a task. Now i also had dynamat original and xtreme in parts of the car and that wont come off. Not easily anyway, it stuck soooooo much better then the fatmat.

I just used liquid Edead on my entire trunk last week but i left the car in my firends garage and it went to get painted so i cant tell you how well that stuff works, but my firend said he almost passed out from the fumes in the car. I'll let you know how it is when i get it back, tomorrow hopefully.

The guy I work with got Second Skin and he likes that alot. I sat in his car the day after he put it on and it didnt smell at all.
Old 05-10-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Different strokes for different folks. I'll take the fatmat anyday over the overpriced dynamat. For one, the fatmat I have stuck just as good as the dynamat I have. I installed both with a heat gun, and I thouroughly cleaned the surfaces with both. I guess it just depends on how much care and time you put into the install. I also put mine on in 30 degree(farenheit) weather both times, with no problems. I put a blower heater at the rear of the car (took off rear bumper) in order to get the metal heated to a decent level. Then, I put it on with the heatgun and rolled it thouroughly. It just depends on how careful you are when installing it, and how well you do it as to how it will stick. I've seen fatmat, dynamat, raamat, brownbread, all of it fall off. The main reason it falls off it because the person didn't clean the surfaces, dry them, and then carefully cut and install it. The reason I use a heat gun? It heats the polymers in the tar up making it super sticky. Plus, it makes it easier to roll on and press out. Like I said, some people like it, some hate it. I like fatmat, its about 1/7 of the price of dynamat if not less than that. It works just the same as dynamat (neither deadens better than the other). And installation is still boring, and arduous. But, it's worth it if you appreciate the ability to turn your subs up and not hear the all to familiar buzz of the non deadened panels vibrating. I also used expanding foam to fill in between the big gaps between panels. And I used rubberized undercoating in the areas that were able to be sprayed (over the fatmat of course). I noticed a big difference in the sound that was being produced in my car. The main difference is the lack of rattle that I was experiancing.