I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Amp Grounding Point?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004
Extreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZSKCivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Amp Grounding Point?

Hey everyone, that popping noise keeps coming up in my tweeters. Im still convinced that it is the ground since I know everything is connected and tuned properly. Though I changed the grounding to the strip of metal that is right behind the seats and in front of the back of the trunk cardboard bottom, this probelm still occurs. I sanded the surface to show bare metal too. Where did you all ground your amplifiers, is there a ground for other wires somewhere in the trunk that I could possibly use?
Old 03-21-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
That's the point I used. The metal between the seats and trunk. Just make sure all grounds attach to the same spot. You might also try upgrading the factory wire from battery negative to chassis with 4 ga ground wire. Sand that attachment as well. I bet it might help.
Old 03-21-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
i used the right rear passenger seat belt bolt. i use a distribution block for my ground so i know it's all grounded at the same spot.
Old 03-21-2004
Extreme Member

If it matters, I also did the ground install kit in the DIY section with 8G wire.
Old 03-21-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Your problem isn't grounding then. You have everything tied back to the battery, so it should work. You may want to try and get the amp tested somewhere to make sure it's working.
Old 03-22-2004
Extreme Member

If it matters, Alpine already tested it and it passed everything. It is overrated though, it is supposed to be atleast 110W RMSx2, but it is actually 124.3W RMS x 2.

Last edited by ZSKCivic01; 03-22-2004 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-22-2004
Premium Member

So how are you wiring everything to the amp? Maybe you're exceeding the ohm rating? But you probably have components. So I'm assuming your crossovers are set right. Maybe try using the low and high pass filters if your deck has them. I'm really just tossing out ideas, cause this is hard to figure out.
Old 03-22-2004
Registered!!

JohnDoe is an unknown quantity at this point
How did you tune the amp? The gain is probably set too high and it's clipping the signal.
Old 03-22-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
after all the stuff he's blown, his gain better not be too high.

ground HU at cigarrette lighter if you haven't.

might be internal to the amp though. it's a fairly nice amp, but i have changed the amps in my car before and gone from moderately high noise to no noise, and vice versa. without redoing wiring.

is the popping in both tweeters? or just one side? this would make me think a wire got pinched, or maybe a connection is bad, if only one side
Old 03-23-2004

coop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the rough
you'd think that if it were a grounding issue that it would affect more than just the tweeters?

I grounded mine the same as doubledeuce - amp and cap ground wires connect to a distribution block, and then to the passenger side rear seat bolt - this was bare metal from the factory, no sanding was needed at all.
Old 03-24-2004
Wicked Pissah Admin

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future
My tweeters were popping at moderate volume as well... It ended up that the 6 1/2 driver was being tweaked a little in the door when we screwed it in since the door isn't flat. It was twisting the frame of the speaker causing interference, which was then sent as current back to the crossover and out the tweeter....

Try to take the door panel off, unscrew the 6 1/2 from the door so it is loose. Then turn the volume up and see if it is OK. Mystic and I did this in my car and it worked. We tightened it little by little until it popped again, then loosened it up just a little....

Hope it helps, good luck
Old 03-24-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
He already tried that Havok...I suggested it to him last week, and it didnt help. I think at this point he should sell his entire stereo, go to a shop, and them them do EVERYTHING.