I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Speaker popping noise...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reflekt is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Speaker popping noise...

whats up guys..

i was going to post this in the tech stuff or vehicle problems forums, but i thought probably you guys would know better.

basically, it started with my headunit. I have an Alpine CDA-9815. After i got the hu, i was running stock speakers, and everything was fine and dandy. Then all of a sudden, I started to hear this weird popping distortion type of noise in the rear left speaker. It would only make the pop noise when I might hit a bump, and DEFINITELY when i take sharp turns around a corner. It's almost as if something is bouncing around in my speaker. And there was also a cluttered distortion noise while the music played, like a *CHTSHHH* noise.

sooo....the one thing i could think was...maybe my speaker was blown? I have no idea how that could've happened, but that was my understanding. So, a few days ago, i replaced/upgraded all my speakers, front and back, with alpine type S speakers. After the grueling installation, I bumped the speakers, and they sounded DOPE. and i was all happy cuz i got rid of that stupid distortion and popping noise. BUT, then on a drive home that night, i took one of those tight turns around a corner, and i heard the poppping noise again! i was like....WTF. then that couldn't have been my stock speakers...NOR the brand new alpine speakers.

So now, i'm left with a dilemma and i have no idea what is causing that strange popping noise, along with the distortion. However, on these new alpine speakers...the problem doesnt occur as often at all (the stock speakers did it ALL the time, and I could only listen to my two front speakers by moving the fader up on the HU for that time being). but still, it pissed me off that i spent money on these brand new GOOD speakers, and i still got the problem. does anyone know what might be causing this strange interference/distortion/popping? it's really hard to explain. ANY help is appreciated. thanx!
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
this noise comes from poor wiring. check the wiring behind the HU. i bet if you jiggled it around the noise would come and go.

since it is just one speaker, it could also be the wiring to that speaker. check in the trunk for any spots in the wiring that look weak or like they might be touching the chassis.
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

that actually sounds like that could be it. because..i realized that the popping noise only started to happen after the shop installed my alpine headunit. THEN it started to pop. it's probably some loose wire behind the HU. any other ideas? thanx for the help!
Old 12-17-2003
Runumhard Or Go Home

bigainabuilt is an unknown quantity at this point
check your ground on the HU
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
i might also check yoru trunk torsion bars and struts that hold the rear deck solid.

its a shot in the dark, but if it ony happens on sharp right hand turns, if the rear deck is flexing, then it could be flexing yrou basket, causing voice coil rub.

it might definitely be the cause! try unscrewing the speaker, leave the rear deck off, and try one of those sharp right hand turns, see if it still does it.
Old 12-17-2003
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Nod HU wiring
Old 12-18-2003
Registered!!

thanx for all your guys' help. im definitely gonna pull part the center HU section and check the wiring.

also...today, i was chillin wiht some friends. and while we were driving, every now and then , when we're bumpin the music a bit, and hit a bump in the road...it's go...*pop*...*TCHHSHHH*. but as soon as we literally hit the side of the center HU part...,the right side, next to the HU, it'd go away. haha. so whoever had shotgun, sitting in the front, their job was to hit the side of the HU, whenever it happened. and it's go away. so definitely it seems like its' some wiring business behind the HU, and not something at the rear deck. anyway, yeah. thanx for the help guys!
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

civicmorph is an unknown quantity at this point
my rear Kickers do that once in awhile too, and it's not just one side, it's both but switches sides on the *pop*. I believe it is the RCA cable that I connected it with from my HU, damn 5 dollar cables! I'm just gonna save up and buy monster RCAs for all my amps and speakers, least then I know that won't be an issue causing the problem. Money is of absence right now
Old 01-25-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
The shop you took it to probably did a shotty install. Just pull it out, take off the wire harnesses and solder the connections together. They should have just used a harness replacement anyway so they wouldn't have to splice. Don't know what could have happened back there. Maybe a loose wire touching something.
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
if it's your rca's, wrap electrical tape around them where they connecr. they may be grounding out on the frame that holds the HU in place. mine make noise if they touch the wrong spot too. and they were like $70.
Old 01-25-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I've wondered about that. All my RCA connections are open and touching each other and other stuff. Haven't had any noise problems, though.
Old 01-26-2004
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
*i didnt read the thread fully* too lazy

... i have had the same problem with my polk right-front speaker. i thought it was becuz i didnt seal the door panel correctly so water got into it. but its poor wiring becuz i took out the panel n rewired it n now works perfectly.