I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

diy for removing carpet safely?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LiceLocket is an unknown quantity at this point
diy for removing carpet safely?

is there a diy for taking out teh car carpet? i'm trying to deaden my car floor w/ fatmat and olefin/nylon carpeting, but i dunno where to start. i was also wondering if i should have to remove the seats to do so, too? my car is a 96 EX coupe
Old 12-14-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know about your car, but the newer civic carpet pulls right up. It's not glued or anything--just held in by those plastic side trim pieces. Maybe try removing the back seats and see where the carpet ends.
Old 12-14-2003
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
personally, id deaden teh roof before i even thought of the carpet. the floor is made of thick steel when the roof is cheesy aluminum with braces.

but as to taking out the carpet, youd need to remove teh kicks, the center console, the seats, all teh sills on the side
Old 12-15-2003
Registered!!

well, i'm also putting some olefin/nylon undermatting (its supposed to be for housing carpets) in the carpet to block road noise from the floor (i'm also gonna do this to the doors to block them from the sides). i heard from some ppl that this helps the sound quality a lot w/o boosting up volume. its only 22cents/sq ft, so, i guess its worth a try.
Old 12-15-2003
~*~ I WUV MEN ~*~

Ericb410 is an unknown quantity at this point
you should be able to take off the trip along the sides of the car's interior and pull the carpet up. depending on what you want to do is how much plastic trim you pop off.
Old 12-15-2003
Registered!!

custom2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
If your ex is an auto becareful when taking the carpet out over the center console. In my 96 hatch it was a pain in the *** to get the carpet out and its exactly the same carpet because i put a new one in my car. Theres a compter in front of the center console and the clips suck to get out. If its an auto watch the solenoid shift lock release because i broke mine when i took out the carpet. I actually had to slice the middle of the carpet in front of the center console to get it out.

Like lud said kicks, center console, side sills, and seats, but also all the computer wires under your lower center dash because they all loop thru the carpet. If i remember right they are large yellow plugs.
Old 12-15-2003
Registered!!

yea, mine is an auto i can still take out the carpet from the sides, leaving the middle console right?

also, how much of the center console can i take out w/o messing w/ the computer or the shift lock? i also wan tto do some cleaning under some of those areas
Old 12-15-2003
Bodacious Member

jwalker87 is an unknown quantity at this point
the carpet goes under the center console; its all connected. Take off your center console and you'll see what i mean
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

alrite, i removed the carpet (just enough to deaden the floor). now, would deadening the roof make a huge difference? it's a bunch more stuff to remove...
Old 12-17-2003
Bodacious Member

jwalker87 is an unknown quantity at this point
i would think so; the floor is made of a much more sturdy metal than the roof. If you've done the floor, I'd go ahead and do the roof.
Old 07-08-2016
Registered!!

honda.lioness is a jewel in the roughhonda.lioness is a jewel in the roughhonda.lioness is a jewel in the rough
Re: diy for removing carpet safely?

Here is my DIY site with photos and drawings for carpet removal and replacement: https://sites.google.com/site/hondal...et-replacement

Last edited by honda.lioness; 07-15-2016 at 07:54 AM.