I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

POS Cardboard In The Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LiLaSiiAn8 is an unknown quantity at this point
POS Cardboard In The Trunk

I have 2 12" in a sealed box and it killed that cardboard in the trunk. I was wondering if anyone has replaced that cardboard with something else. Can anyone suggestion different materials and prices? I was thinking fiberglass and then bolt the box on to the fg but then won't the fg crack? I have a friend that owns a body shop and does lots of fiberglassing so I thought maybe he'll lend me some but all I have is the board.. do I just put the **** all over the board and then wait for it to dry? Pexiglass, $$$?

Then, I searched "board" and found people were velcroing their box to the carpet and then their carpet to the "frame" of the car. Good Idea, but are there any other suggestions? I'm kinda new to this side of the fourm so please help me out! Thanks in advance! - Monica

Old 11-24-2003
Registered!!

AlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really nice
Monica just use a piece of wood! I think a sheet of MDF from Home Depot is like $20. Use the cardboard piece as your template cut the piece of wood the exact shape carpet that b!tch and you can now bolt your box to that piece of wood.

1/2" MDF (Medium Density Fiber) Wood= $20
Carpet= $10 or so
Spray Adhesive=$5

I think thats the best way.
Old 11-24-2003
Hail to the king baby

kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
MDF or plywood. go with 3/4 inch thick and you should be good for a loooooooong time!
Old 11-24-2003
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
If you have a rear sway bar
Have your friend make a bracket that will bolt on to the sway bar
and can be screwed onto the box.

Then take the broken cardboard and use it for a template and cut out a copy with some wood, masinite, waynes coating or MDF.

masinite - thin
waynes coating - thin
wood - thicker
MDF - thickest

Last edited by PunkingCivic; 11-24-2003 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-24-2003
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
i used 3/4 inch MDF, and used the carpet piece as a template. drew it out, and then cut it out with a rotozip. took maybe 30 minutes. i later added a plexi window (1/4" plexi) which took an additional 30 minutes to draw out, cut, and mount (plus drying time for clear liquid nail). i think the sheet of 3/4 mdf was like $18 at home depot, and the plexi was around $6 or $8 for a 2 ft. by 2 ft. piece. then you simply use either spray adhesive (quicker and easier) or contact cement to adhere the carpet to the new trunk floor (making sure you cut out for window and glue carpet before mounting plexi (had to learn that the hard way)). so about $25-30 and maybe an hour total working time (plus drying)
Old 11-24-2003
Registered!!

TheeLoneWolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

I just used the cardboard as a template on 3/4" Plywood that
was left over from building a work bench in the garage.

Works great and my box is bolted to it on top of the factory carpet.

Worked great in my 02 lx sedan and stayed in place when I rolled it in the ice rain.

Just put it in my 04 LX sedan and bolted the box back in.
Old 11-24-2003
Registered!!

Connie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the rough
yeah MDF is some heavy duty ****. I hate carrying that **** when I work at the lumberyard.
Old 11-24-2003
Bodacious Member

jwalker87 is an unknown quantity at this point
i need to get one of these. When I wrecked my car, it wasnt even THAT violent, but my amp got ripped from it seating and was flyin around; i had just put on some wooden walls around the amp earlier, and those screws ripped out of the fake floor too, but the sub is bolted to the sheet metal; didnt budge an inch. $20 is a crazy bargain for a huuge sheet of MDF, but then again i dont know **** about it, so I'll shut up.
Old 11-24-2003
Registered!!

OMG YOU GUYS ARE THE BOMB!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

BTW I plan to go to Home Depot to get the MDF do you think they'll cut it for me? Or do I have to buy my own tools and cut it to match the cardboard? Oh yeah, whats the carpet for? I have carpet in my trunk already..

WOW, I cannot thank everyone ENOUGH!!

PopcornPlaya - Do you have any pictures? I'm wondering how you got the pexiglass to stay in the MDF.. well unless you have those head duty tools.
Old 06-12-2004
Registered!!

RoBBUsaF is an unknown quantity at this point
where can i get the cardboard replacement for my trunk? ive searched all these honda part sites and cant find it...
Old 06-12-2004
Registered!!

Dang you brought up an old thread, I don't even have my car anymore, but I got some mdf from HomeDepot and then went home and cut it to match the cardboard in the trunk. It worked pretty well!
Old 06-13-2004
Registered!!

RoBBUsaF is an unknown quantity at this point
reason i ask is cuz i have nothing to trace the mdf board... my cardboard was **** so i threw it away a while ago
Old 06-13-2004
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
I was actually thinking of replacing all of that crap altogether (carpet and cardboard) and installing some of that aluminum diamond plate - you know the stuff they use for jeeps? I can't remember where there are places around here to buy large enough sheets of it (I want one large sheet that will cover the whole back floor, than I plan on cutting a hinged plate for access to the spare tire). Its not cheap though, but it would look clean!
Old 06-13-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RoBBUsaF
reason i ask is cuz i have nothing to trace the mdf board... my cardboard was **** so i threw it away a while ago
borrow one from your friend?? haha GL
Old 06-13-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
Originally Posted by opto_isolator
I was actually thinking of replacing all of that crap altogether (carpet and cardboard) and installing some of that aluminum diamond plate - you know the stuff they use for jeeps? I can't remember where there are places around here to buy large enough sheets of it (I want one large sheet that will cover the whole back floor, than I plan on cutting a hinged plate for access to the spare tire). Its not cheap though, but it would look clean!
you won't fit it in there in one piece, you'd have to put it in in 2 or 3 pieces.

if you have the carpet in the trunk, use that as a guide for your new cardboard floor
Old 06-14-2004
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
I made a base for my box with MDF and then made 3 other panels that go beside and in front of it. Real clean look and still functional as I can still get my spare tire out. Wasn't all that hard to make either

Check out the pics at www.cardomain.com/id/mega_hz I think it's page 5
Old 06-14-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
I made a base for my box with MDF and then made 3 other panels that go beside and in front of it. Real clean look and still functional as I can still get my spare tire out. Wasn't all that hard to make either

Check out the pics at www.cardomain.com/id/mega_hz I think it's page 5
we are talking about the cardboard in the trunk right? btw nice box.. engineer? must be heavy a **** tho hahahah
Old 06-14-2004
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
engineer? what do you mean? and yeah it's a heavy sucker, especially with the amp and cap on the side

and ya

I took my cardboard out and replaced it with those 4 pieces, box base, left and right panels and front panel