I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Neon Lighting in Front Footwells

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003
Bodacious Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jwalker87 is an unknown quantity at this point
check this out. Looks like it could be what I need. And only $4 more than the dim ones I have....i could put these under the seats or something.
Old 11-09-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Are those pepboys brand or something? It's hard to say how bright they'll be when you actually try them. Mine were just generic and they're bright enough. Look above for pics.
Old 11-09-2003
Bodacious Member

they're redline
Old 11-09-2003
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Oh okay. The redlines are supposed to be good.
Old 11-09-2003
Registered!!

DJPark is an unknown quantity at this point
gearbox, where you get them from? Would the crappy ones from Target or any place like that be good? Or should I make the run down to Pep Boys and pick up the Redline ones?
Old 11-09-2003
Premium Member

I went to pepboys and got the american auto accessories brand. It was only $16. Since I don't use em that much, I don't feel too bad. I think redline or streetglow is best. (my underglo kit is streetglow).
Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

Thanks for your help. I bought the switch yesterday at Radio Shack and I am going to get the Neons today at Pepboys.
Old 11-10-2003
PJG
Registered!!

PJG is an unknown quantity at this point
DJPark, how much did that switch from radioshack run you? Can you get them with other color LEDs?

Thanks,
Pat
Old 11-10-2003
Bodacious Member

i got a rocker switch at Auto Zone. They had the rocker type switches in about 5 colors, and then the flip ones (dont know how to describe them; theres like a paddle sticking up that you move front to back) in the same colors. They were all $4 or $5.
Old 11-10-2003
PJG
Registered!!

I think I would like to do what Gearbox or DJPark did with the switch that goes clean into the cigarette lighter, would be kinda bulky, but easy to take out.

Pat
Old 11-10-2003
Premium Member

All they had was green led, so I just put a piece of electrical tape over it.
Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

All they had was green. It cost me 7 bucks. I bought 2 Neons tonight at Pep Boys. They didn't have Redline or any other brand names just some random "Tropical Neon". So I got it. 15 bucks a light. I will install either later tonight or tomorrow when I get home.
Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

I installed it tonight. My camera's batteries are dead. I am charging them now. If you all want I could possibly post pictures tomorrow. Although its the same as gearbox's. BTW, when I said all they had was green I meant that the little switch only came in green. I got the blue neons.
Old 11-10-2003
PJG
Registered!!

DJPark,

Yeah, I understood that, thanks, I would like to see night time pics, if that is possible, also, where did you end up mounting them? Under the dash, or under the seats? Also, how is the light output of those generic 9'' tubes at night?

Thanks,
Pat
Old 11-10-2003
Premium Member

Generics work pretty well. I'd take pics, but it's raining outside.
Old 11-11-2003
Registered!!

I mounted under the seat. Seemed to get a better lighting and it shines in the back too. It really only lights up the floor not the whole car like I had hoped. I'll see if I can take pictures tonight but it seems like that storm that passed gearbox last night is on it's way here.
Old 11-11-2003
Registered!!

kalipnoi can only hope to improve
15" streetglow neons fit under the dash, i did mine almost a year ago and it looks pretty clean.
if you put them under the dash it will light up almost all of your interior, putting them in the front of the seats or under just makes the light of the neon get blocked because of your legs in the way.
Old 11-11-2003
Premium Member

Okay, here are my blue "tropical" neons under the seats. Looks pretty good, but under the dash would be alot brighter. Maybe illegal as well if it's visible outside the car.

Old 11-11-2003
Premium Member

Oops, the toolbox was still uder that seat. I just barely snapped pics before the rain started.
Old 11-11-2003
PJG
Registered!!

Gearbox,
Those look pretty good.
Now I am not as worried about them not being bright enough.
I am planning to mount them under the dash, but we'll see.
Thanks for the pics.
Anyone else have pics, especially of blue under the dash?

Thanks again,
Pat
Old 11-12-2003
PJG
Registered!!

kalipnoi,
15'', are you serious?!?
That's insane, I was just thinking about the 9'' ones.
Do you have pics? How was the install? What did you hook them up to? Use Zipties or what?
Thanks,
Pat
Old 11-12-2003
Bodacious Member

you didnt ask me, but I used superglue to glue the ends of the neon light (there are flat spots) to the plastic under-dash pieces.
Old 11-12-2003
Registered!!

PJG
I don't have any pics of the install but i can take some tonight if you want. the passenger side i was able to use a drill and the provided screws that they gave me by popping out the under pannle. but the drivers side i had to drill the left side of it and then zip tie the other side to a piece of metal. i think its clean. you can't see any wires and you can't see any neons unless you open the door and look under the dash. oh yeah, i think it is illegal to have the neons visable but no cop has said anything to me YET. the only problem is i have to drive around with my windows down when they're on because of the bright reflection off of the windows.
Old 11-12-2003
PJG
Registered!!

To jwalker87 and kalipnoi,
Will I need to remove the lower dash in order to put the neons in?
If so, how did you do this? I don't want anything to be seen, from normal seating positions, but don't care if you can see them if you have to get on your hands and knees. So voice your opinions once again. Thanks. PJG
Old 11-12-2003
Bodacious Member

i didnt remove anything; just superglued the flat pieces on the ends of the neon to the plastic under-dash. However, it is pretty easy to get the passenger side plastic piece out, and this would make it a lot easier. I had to actually mount mine on the back side of it, because the bottom is all curvy and there's no place that I could mount it; but if I took it out I probably could have drilled holes and used screws. But it works fine if you dont. I didnt, and they're not visible.
Old 11-12-2003
Registered!!

passengers side you can pop out, just pull on the right side of the panel and it will come out because of the clips. drivers side pop the panel on the under the steering wheel, you'll see two litle things to twist and pull it out. then there is one after that is black [anel where your feet are and a twist thing right there in the middle. just measure to get everything. if you wait 2 more days i'll take pictures so it will be easier for you. i took mine out for my alarm installation so i'll take pics for you. oh, and i would take it out if i were you so that everything is how and where you want it.
Old 11-16-2003
PJG
Registered!!

kalipnoi,
Sounds great, thanks to all, and their help!
Pat
Old 11-16-2003
Pro Skater

blue03civic is an unknown quantity at this point
hey guys srry im late to replying haha hey pjg i have two 9inch neons in my footwells take a look at my ride they look so nice i get lots of compliments on them and there def not hard to install i used double sided tape haha u can use nething and not screw up its easy...aslo i have a question for neone..if i got little led's like evry one said to accent the vents and stuff how would i go about wiring them and stuff!? i mite wanna do it and there cheap to haha so u kno y not...
also i put my drivers side one under the the wheels above the pedals and the passender side on the carpet at the top part so u cant see the tube and they look gr8
Old 11-16-2003
PJG
Registered!!

Blue03civic,
Those are really bright!!!
Are they too bright to drive around with? Can people see the neon glow on your face when you are driving?

Thanks,Pat
Old 11-16-2003
Pro Skater

blue03civic is an unknown quantity at this point
yea they look bright in the pic but they are perfect they just flood on the floor but you can see it on me when my windows are down b/c i have tints and its gives off a really cool glow all around the car even in the back. but they dont bother me when im driving i kno it sounds weird but it actually helps haha maybe its my bad vision o well yea they are good there..