I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Distortion caused blown sub?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
syndrome is an unknown quantity at this point
Distortion caused blown sub?

After thinking about it for a little bit, the only reason I could come up with on how I blew my L7 was this, please tell me if it was possible. My amp wires for the sub were all ran down the same side of my car (yeah yeah I know you shouldnt run RCA's with power, but I did). Anyway I know that its high freq. interference and subs shouldnt play it, and my sub didnt play it and sounded awesome. But im wondering that even if I couldnt hear it, the distortion might've been there, and is it fesible to say that something like that could actually blow the sub? The conditions were this: L7 in 2.0^3 ft. ported box, no leaks, sub was in the process of breaking in when it happened, gains on my kx600.1 were not even up half way and bass boost was low, volume was moderate and I had my subsonic filter on of course. All I really want to know is if its 'possible' for my sub to've blown because of how I ran my cables. Thanks fellas.
Old 10-29-2003

alex053 will become famous soon enough
high freqs are not going to damage your sub.....what freq did you use to break in your sub...if you go below the tuned port freq you loose control of the woofer and it will blow.
Old 10-29-2003
Registered!!

I was playing a CD that has pretty low bass when it happened but it never hurt my comp VR's. My box is tuned to 38hz and the sub-sonic filter is 25hz and I crossed it over at 80hz on my amp.
Old 10-30-2003
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
subsonic should prolly be within 5 hrtz. If your subs are tuned to 38hrtz you should put your subsonic on around 35hrtz if it is adjustable.
Old 10-31-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tom1178 is an unknown quantity at this point
not mentioned in the post but was your sub under warranty? did you get a replacement and you don't want the same to happen again? just curious. maybe you should break it in a little easier, lay off the really low bass for the first few hrs.
Old 10-31-2003
Registered!!

I called Kicker and requested a replacement under their 90 day warranty since I only had the thing for under a month, it should be here in a few days, can't wait. But yeah you nailed it I just dont want it to happen again, and I was breaking it in for 2 weeks before it happened so I was in the transition of going over the halfway gain point. So yeah the bass gets low on the CD but any commercial song that isn't advertised as a woofer cooker should be fine usually, besides I had 2 weeks under the subs belt and thats exactly what Kicker recommends to give it.. oh well, gotta do it all over again. Soon enough I'll make a costom box for it - so if any of you know a site or the dimenstions of our trunk for making a big (around 3.0 cuft.) ported box with big port for a lower tuning freq. could you share that info?
Old 11-03-2003
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
Originally posted by syndrome
Soon enough I'll make a costom box for it - so if any of you know a site or the dimenstions of our trunk for making a big (around 3.0 cuft.) ported box with big port for a lower tuning freq. could you share that info?
I used the WinISD program to design my box. Just type WinISD into google and you should be able to download it. Keep in mind that WinISD is optimized for a flat response though...so you have to do some adjusting in the program if you want a peak...or if you want to compensate for cabin gain.