I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

AM Reception

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
do you guys have 2002* civics?

the 2001 doesnt have a power antenna, or if it does (box behind the passenger c-pillar) it is automatic, and not radio controlled.

I did not have to do anything special in my vehicle for the antenna.

however, if you are having the same problem (no AM reception, FM works fine) the issue isnt the antenna, because its working.

If that is the case, I might try regrounding the radio, usually when we have these issues its becaue we have accessories in the radio ground, like noise isolators, LOC's, even headrest monitors and the like. its been detrimental to AM exclusively in the past.
Old 06-01-2004
Registered!!

hondah1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 2002 - I've tried all day to fix the problem, no luck. I looked in the kickpanel of the pass. side and in the back access panel for the antenna, it all checked out fine. Strange. I also tightened the ground, maybe I should find another location for the ground? Anyway, I don't have much experience hooking up decks, so it's kind of confusing.
Old 06-01-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
if its a ground issue (are we still talking about exclusively an AM problem?) then a tighter ground wont help, you need more current capacity. the best solution is to move all the accessories grounded to the radio off somewhere else.

I cant be more specific, because I'mnot sure what the specific issues are with your vehicle and your issue....
Old 06-02-2004
Registered!!

hondah1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yesterday after I posted, I finally got AM working (by connecting the power antenna lead), and I put everything back in place and closed up the dash. I thought I had the problem fixed until I drove the car. There was a lot of engine noise coming through the AM signal and then the signal faded until there was no reception at all. I think you're right, it must be the ground, because the problem is exclusive to AM. Also, another thing, now when I turn the car on the deck doesn't display the clock automatically. By the way, thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited by hondah1; 06-02-2004 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-02-2004
Jam out with your clam out.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
ya i have a 2002 lx and the AM has never worked well in my car even with the stock headunit. i hardly ever use it, so it doesnt really matter to me though.