I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

HiFonics ZX6000 Settings, ASAP???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003
Extreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZSKCivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question HiFonics ZX6000 Settings, ASAP???

Hey everyone, I have the JL XR comp. set and I just finished blowing out another mid. Basically im left with one mid and two tweeters. I dont' want to blow the other mid out so I turned the level all the way to the minimum. The thing is, it is still kind of loud though. I think that at its minimum, my speakers are still pretty loud. I just wanted to give you all the features on my amplifier and maybe you all could tell me what they should be set to so I don't blow out the rest of my speakers.

Level- 6V-.2V

Bass Eq- 0dB-18dB

Low Pass- 30Hz-150Hz

1/2 Ch XOver- Hi, Full, LP/BP

Hi Pass- 10Hz-1.2K

Basically, I turned the level all the way down to the 6V, when it is half-way up and I turn it down to 6V, the volume at its present setting is reduced. I would think that 6V would be louder, but it isn't. I don't think I really know what im doing here. Id really appreciate you alls help ASAP.
Old 07-30-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
the gain **** matches input voltages. for example, if you set the **** to 2V and have 2V outputs from the deck, you will get an unclipped signal with a power rating of what the manufacturer says (ideally). but if your amp is too powerful, lower the gain accordingly (amp rated for 2x what your speakers can take, cut the gain in half, so the setting would be 4V for our example).

another possibility: try putting it in hi pass mode and set the cutoff at at least 50Hz (maybe more around 80). if you have subs you won't notice much loss in bass. but this will prevent a clipped signal that you've amplified way too much from blowing your speaks. also no bass boost on in cabin speakers, just in case you did that.
Old 07-30-2003
Extreme Member

"try putting it in hi pass mode and set the cutoff at at least 50Hz "

Ok, I understand what you said about the level being set to the output of the deck, for my alpine unit, it would be 4V. So I will just bring the **** up a little from the 6V I currently have my amp set to. Now, as for the rest, I am not sure what you are refering to. I am assuming that Hi Pass mode has to do with the X-over settings. If you could clarify a little on the cutoff stuff then id really appreciate it.
Old 07-31-2003
Registered!!

Regularjoe is on a distinguished road
Ya you understand .... but you really don't. Dude ... not to flame but if that amp was a gun you would have shot your eye out and your foot off too.

If you have a 4v deck, then in a perfect world you need to put the amp gain at 4v. Then when the HU is at full volume the amp should be putting out full power.

Now you have that amp thats just way too powerful for your speakers and tends to blow things. If you put the gain by the 4v setting then you will blow more ****.

At the 6v setting the amp needs 6v to get to full power. In theory that amp should be putting out about 2/3 power when the HU is at full volume. Thats 4v max HU output when the amp is looking for 6v to make max power, 4v/6v = 2/3 of max power. But that doesn't mean the amp can't put out more power when the music demands it because it can definately handle outputting more power without straining.

So even at the 6v setting, which makes the amp put out the least power for the given input from the deck ...... your still feeding those speakers way over the max that they are recommended to handle.

So all in all .... no matter what your probably going to toast those components over and over again no matter what.

I personally think you need a different amp.
Old 07-31-2003
Extreme Member

WTF, when I got this amp, I listed all the amps I had to choose from on this site. I kept telling everyone that this hifonics amp would be too powerful for my component set, but everyone insisted that I get this amp. I have it at 6V right now and I know those component speakers can go louder. I seriously doubt I can blow my speakers when the amp is putting out it's minimum. I would prefer a second opinion on this matter, because at one time when I posted about this matter, most everyone replied that this amp would make my component set sound really nice.
Old 07-31-2003
Registered!!

Now I don't mean to flame ..... but all your posts seem to revolve around smoking your components or issues driving your sub. I think you need to learn more about everything before you go turning and adjusting all the ***** and switches.

White Rabbit told you .....

as to limits, you can run hose XR's off deck power and be fine, so say 25x2 is the lower limit? and as far as max power, people have had 200x2 RMS amplifiers on XR's and loved it, so say 200 rms per channel your upper!
your most ideal amplifier will be a clean 200x2 amplifier, unless you cant keep your hands off that gain, in which case, 100x2 would probably be best.

So you bought an under-rated 150 watt rms amp, turned the gain up, and smoked your components twice now. Can the speakers go louder, yes..... but they won't last as long. Thats exactly what is happening. They can take more power, play louder, but only for a finite amount of time. Don't overpower a speaker and expect it to last forever. So with the power your feeding them they last for a few months. Turn down the gain they'd probably last for a few years. Give them no more than the recommended rms and they would likely last forever.
Old 07-31-2003
Extreme Member

Yea, I understand that. I will admit that I am very knowledgable in installing all these different components, but I am not very good at tuning the amps. As of now, my new sub is in perfect working order and there is no reason why that should fail on me now. I just want to know if I keep the gain at 4V on my hifonics amp, will my component sets be getting the continuous power handling of 70W or does it need to be turned down even more? The main reason I got this amplifier is that these components, according to the box, can have between 25-150W per channel. If someone could just please help me out with the gain and help me set it to the best setting to where my speakers will not blow then id really appreciate it.
Old 07-31-2003
Registered!!

Ok here goes ..... this is approximate of course ......

If the amp is 150 rms and 300 max.
The JLs want 70 rms and 150 max.

So you need to drop about 150 - 70 = 80 watts.

80/150 = 53% of the amplifier capabilities you need to drop, or you only need 47% of the amplifier.

Your HU voltage is 4v .... at 8v you would only have 50% of the amplifier power.

Your amp simply doesn't go that low. Put it at 6v and hope you don't smoke anything else.

At 6v your putting 2/3 power of the amp at a minimum. Thats 100 watts rms, 200 max. That is the least that amp can put out when driven by that HU. It will even put out more on bass intensive parts.

Realistically put it on 6v and keep the volume on the HU under 75% of max.

Besides I can't imagine how loud that is. My components just about make my ears blead off my Kicker 150x2 (and thats only 35x2 rms @ 4 ohms).
Old 07-31-2003
Extreme Member

I already have it set to the minimum, maybe I am just having trouble realizing what loud really is, if you can even understand that. Im not sure if my crossovers have anything to do with my speakers getting blown, but on my XR Crossovers, I have my mids set to high midbass, should I maybe adjust that to normal or low midbass? I know my tweeters won't blow due to the fact that my crossovers have a protection device just for the tweeters. Thanks

Last edited by ZSKCivic01; 07-31-2003 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-31-2003
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
also, make sure that bass boost on the amp isnt on,and make sure the "loud" feature on your headunit is off
Old 07-31-2003
Extreme Member

I have no recelection of a loud feature on my Alpine 7893, the only thing I can think of that you may be refering to is MX. My bass boost is turned all the way down.