I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Relocating HeadUnit Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003
Electric Boogaloo...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Relocating HeadUnit Questions?

alright, i am getting braver with my audio, and i wanat to relocate the HU to the pocket next to the e-brake, i know it will require some cutting/modification of that plastic, but thats alright... what i am wondering is when i decide to do this, how will i mount the head unit there? what do i use, do i construct a box type enclosure to house the head unit out of wood? or is there another way of doing it? also, how would i go about lengthening the wires in the harness to make it reach there, or is there enough from the factory and the wiring harness to reach? i searched and can not find a thread that talks about this relocation procedure or really anything to do with moving it there, all i can find is the relocation to the cig lighter area, but i know that this has been done here before. any help on this topic would be appreciated.
Old 07-09-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
youll need to extend the wires on yrou wiring kit. youll also need an antenna extension, thats allso easily found.

if your looking to retain the stock piece, im not sure how youd do any of it, I built my own panel.

if you decide to make yoru own panel, i used 1/4 inch finish quality plywood, real expensive stuff, but doesnt matter, you only need a small piece! I spent 2 weeks sanding mine into teh proper shape, i wanted to ensure a good fit. 2 nubs behind the console i had to dig out, the rest was cutting the holes in the proper places and adding my own change holders.

the radio sits farther forward than the stock hole, I never considered cutting the e-brake mount, which was neccesary im told for retaining the stock piece.

when i mounted my radio, i overkilled the procedure. but for a good looking finish, you use the trim piece that comes with the radio. youll cut a hole where you want the radio just large enough so that the trim piece fits in flush. then youll use a bodyfiller to fill the gaps around. i used a putty becuase i didnt know about bondo yet, that will work too.

you be finishing the top with fiberglass and paint, otherwise itll crack and show the wood finish under it. i chose carbon fiber, at the time i had a significant amount of it in my car.

then youll simply have to mount the radio from teh underside rather than the top. you cna make wooden "hooks" that you cna put a bolt under, and epoxy wood to your cage to put the bolt through. then simply thread a nut to sandwich the radio firmly between the trim ring which is now a permanent part of yrou console, and the cage.

itll be a snug fit insid eyoru center console, radios nowadays are pretty deep! but you cna shoehorn it in. to give it that extra little snug fit, i put a hole in the bottom of my change holder and fixed a chunk of wood under it to the floorpan of the car. then put a screw through the change holder into the wood, and my trim piece isnt going anywhere!

youll have to search out who used the stock panel, i believe he said that he couldnt get teh faceplate to fit as it was.
Old 07-09-2003
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
thanks rabbit... it sounds like this will be a lot of fun seriously though, i figure it'll be worth it in the long run, as long as it turns out like i planned it... and if it doesn't then i can always redo it until i get it like i want it...
Old 07-10-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
good luck, your embarking on a project that was a hell of alot of fun!

not to mention the props you get at shows and just on the streets
Old 07-11-2003
Electric Boogaloo...

as far as extending the wires, which type of wire do i use, do i go to rad shack or the car audio shop and ask for a specific type of wire, or will any work, i was told that i could possibly use speaker wire, is this true?
Old 07-11-2003
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
****, you could use aluminum foil if you wanted. 12 gauge speaker wire will work perfect too...
Old 07-11-2003
Electric Boogaloo...

thanks ludlam and rabbit, i am starting this project this weekend... i have already made the f.glass piece for where the radio was to mount a tv, well, most of it, i have to get the tv to finish it, but it should be entertaining, and i got a freebie for the relocation, my friend that can hook me up with car audio stuff cause he sells it gave me another radio cage so i dont have to disassemble my dash to get the cage out and be without radio while constructing it... this should be pretty easy, but i may run into a snag when cutting out for the e-brake.
Old 07-11-2003

alex053 will become famous soon enough
isnt it a pain the sack having the head unit down there? it sucks getting my sunglasses outta there let alone messing with the radio all the time...
Old 07-11-2003
Registered!!

when you know yoru radio well enough to navigate blind anyways, then you dont need to look down, ever =D
Old 07-12-2003
OsOBaNNeD

OsOBooSTeD is an unknown quantity at this point
you could just put a dvd player there...like mine
Old 07-12-2003
OsOBaNNeD

OsOBooSTeD is an unknown quantity at this point
here//
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4869dscf0013.gif
Views:	213
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	4909  
Old 07-12-2003
Electric Boogaloo...

i dont want a dvd player there, i want the hu there, because i am f. glassing the stock location to flush in a monitor, which means the hu has to go... besides, my ps2 is going in the glovebox, and if i decide to do a dvd player/changer, it'll be under the seat, or in the trunk...
Old 09-29-2003
Registered!!

dude is an unknown quantity at this point
why wouldn't you just use the ps2 as a dvd player???
Old 09-29-2003
Registered!!

Connie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by dude
why wouldn't you just use the ps2 as a dvd player???
Word
Old 09-29-2003
Registered!!

DINGALING is an unknown quantity at this point
ps2's can't play vcd's or svcd's. anyone who uses p2p knows where i'm going...

-DINGALING
Old 09-29-2003
Registered!!

Connie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the rough
I should have thought of that
I have a VCD playing in my member rides pictures....

(What is an SVCD?)
Old 09-29-2003
Registered!!

DINGALING is an unknown quantity at this point
super video disc. know how vcd is about vhs quality? svcd is close to dvd. vcd is usually 1 cd per movie, while svcd is probably 2 or three, depending on resolution, frames per second, and the length of the movie.

-DINGALING