Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here.

Seafoam Treatment

Old 04-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Meanie is an unknown quantity at this point
Seafoam Treatment

Since this is related to engine, I thought it'd be appropriate to ask here. Forgive me if I'm in the wrong spot.

I've stumbled on some videos of Seafoam engine cleaner, the type where you spray into the throttle body and causes a crapload of smoke for awhile. The results were favorable. It was mainly used on older car and it's supposed to break down carbon buildup. Thus, I thought, what if I did that every so many miles to help eliminate or halt the carbon buildup process. I recently past 50,000 miles and plan to do some spring maintenance (filters and fluids). I thought it would be a good idea now and then maybe at 100,000 miles and so on.

Anyone use Seafoam and/or recommend this strategy?

Thanks
Old 04-02-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Seafoam Treatment

Youtube: Eric The Car Guy...he has a video that shows filtered water cleans carbon deposits just as well and it's free. If you choose to administer water through the brake vacuum be sure to do slowly to avoid hydrolocking the engine.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 04-14-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

my last seafoam adventure was documented
i had a can of seafoam sitting in the closet and i was trying to neaten up the house a bit. i figured what the heck, lets see if it smokes..

so i suck maybe 1/2 a can into the pcv hose and i couldn't make the car die, so i turned the key off.

well.. then it got interesting. the car would not shut off. it's dieseling.. for like 2 minutes.. with the key OFF. longest 2 minutes of my life.. standing there, next to a smoking car that will not turn off.. wondering if i killed it.. thinking i probably shouldn't have done that. not much to do but stand there and watch the car knock and pop and continue to chug along. it was the most horrible experience of my life..

i still have half a can left. now i kinda wanna go try it again. i shouldn't. i mean maybe i should. it's just.. i've never seen anything like it. such a mix of emotions. first the giggling, then the fear, then the regret, and then more fear, and finally, relief.

i don't think i'll ever do that again
the car did not run any differently afterwards. the idle was no smoother, it wasn't faster, it didn't make me feel like i accomplished anything good.

i use water instead now, but only if i've removed or am planning to replace the oxygen sensors afterwards. it's well documented that HEGO's and widebands do not play well with water, and any wideband kit will tell you where to mount the sensors specifically to keep them dry. the water trick is an old "back in the day" thing where they would pour it down the carburetor while holding the throttle pretty much wide open. meaning there were no o2's or other delicate and expensive electronics to ruin. i'd skip it. i'm not a mechanic, but i do ok in the common sense department. seafoam is fun for hillbillies and highschool kids. if you fit either of those groups, have at it

Last edited by RobertD; 04-03-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-03-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

That’s a great Seafoam story!!

I have a hard time trusting something that you can pour into any orifice in a car and it magically fixes it. Gas, oil, vacuum doesn't matter, if it has a hole pore it in!!!

When comparing older engines to newer ones newer engines run a lot cleaner and the fluids we use are better. Would I Seafoam my 86 f150, maybe, my Fit, no.
Old 04-07-2018
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

brags is an unknown quantity at this point

I Only use BG 44K in the Civic the other over the counter stuff i dont bother with. i wish i could get this kind of a Deal in Canada though.! 3 cans & Funnel $53.53

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Pack-BG...nnel/141608191
Old 04-07-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

if you're into that type of thing, you should try berryman's b12 for a fuel system clean, it's $3/bottle. i was turned onto it by a hillbilly in west virginia

i have attached a screenshot comparing the two MSDS sheets.

yours is various fairly mild paint thinners with 2.5% benzene.
the berryman is a much stronger paint thinner, two types of alcohol, and 12 % benzene.

anyone reading should note that the ingredients are probably different in CA. i know you can't buy xylene there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	112112  

Last edited by RobertD; 04-07-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-07-2018
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RobertD
if you're into that type of thing, you should try berryman's b12 for a fuel system clean, it's $3/bottle. i was turned onto it by a hillbilly in west virginia<br /><br />i have attached a screenshot comparing the two MSDS sheets.<br /><br />yours is various fairly mild paint thinners with 2.5% benzene.<br />the berryman is a much stronger paint thinner, two types of alcohol, and 12 % benzene.<br /><br /><br />anyone reading should note that the ingredients are probably different in CA. i know you can't buy xylene there.
Yup! i have heard good things on berryman"s b12 fuel system cleaner from a few Professional American Automotive Technitions In U.S.A however i have not seen it hit here in the Automotive Ontario Canada market, Soo that would be my reason for not trying it. however i have had a great experience using BG44K in the fuel tank on a previous higher mileage vehicle i once owned, with very good results. although its not ready available in local big chains Yet. there are small shops close to where i live that do carry it.
Old 08-16-2018
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about

snake oils..

I used seafoam an tried to unlock my stuck oil rings on my 05 honda civic when I had it..
I let them soak, and tried everything.. results were poor it didnt even budge them, thats after 48 hour soak.

its a half *** clean job,, deffinately not as good as tearing the motor apart..
Old 10-08-2018
Registered!!

rogerscivic is an unknown quantity at this point

i got a deal on stp ultra fuel injector cleaner that i have not poured in the tank yet mind you just no time on my to do thing on my civic just yet. way to busy right now but will use it in the tank good product to use?
Old 10-08-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,120 Likes on 935 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Snake oil, won't hurt anything though
Old 10-08-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

I can **** in a can, call it Golden engine Tonic, and claim it's beneficial to an engine..Some would buy into the marketing...lol

Last edited by Wankenstein; 10-08-2018 at 06:47 PM.