Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Coilovers or Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rseward is an unknown quantity at this point
Coilovers or Lowering Springs

I purchased a used 2009 Civic Coupe LX for my son (It needs a little work, but was a great deal). The previous owner lowered the suspension by cutting the springs. My son and I both love the stance (height), but obviously it doesn't ride very good (to be honest, it's not really that bad), the original shocks/struts (134XXX miles) are long overdue for replacement. In addition, the previous owner installed 17" SI wheels, and there is some tire rub under certain conditions.

So I want to replace and upgrade the suspension but would like to keep a similar stance, improve the ride quality, and hopefully eliminate the tire rub.

My question is should I be looking at new OEM shocks/struts and proper lowering springs, or coilovers, or another option?

I like the idea of being able to adjust the ride height (coilovers), but ride quality for daily driving is more important than adjust-ability.

Budget for this is $600 - $800

I tried to include a picture, hopefully that's helpful.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0206.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	112042  

Last edited by rseward; 03-10-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Coilovers or Lowering Springs

Read on link in my signature.

Stock shocks will not last long with springs modified either.
Old 03-10-2018
Registered!!

I guess I didn't really mean "OEM", but rather OEM replacements like Koni STR-T "Orange". One option I was considering was Koni STR-T with Eibach Pro lowering springs.
Old 03-10-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Tein street basis coilovers, 444 shipped. Havent ordered from these guys before, but read some good things about them. Adjuatable height, no adjustable dampering.

Tein street advance coilovers, 525 shipped. Adjustable height and dampering.

I rocked the predecessor to the street advances (tein super streets) on my 2002. I liked them a lot. I also paid 1250 for them (retail was about 1500), so these, in comparison, are a freakin steal to me
Old 03-10-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Tein street basis coilovers, 444 shipped. Havent ordered from these guys before, but read some good things about them. Adjuatable height, no adjustable dampering.

I rocked the predecessor to the street advances (tein super streets) on my 2002. I liked them a lot. I also paid 1250 for them (retail was about 1500), so these, in comparison, are a freakin steal to me
Thanks... I'll check em' out
Old 03-11-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx

I second this.

I have Tein on my Fit and am very happy with them. I think I have the Tein Flex line of coilovers. For the price it’s awesome.
Old 03-11-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Read on link in my signature.
Thank you for pointing me to this! It's exactly what I needed.
Old 03-11-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

stock equivalent have the same issue as stocks, so STRT will also not live long with the springs
Old 03-12-2018
Registered!!

So... it looks like my choices are to take it back to stock or go with coilovers (there's not that much difference in the cost).

If I go with coilovers I'll raise the car as to avoid tire rub, so I'm guessing I'll be close to stock (-1" or less?). Again, I like the idea of adjust-ability and upgraded handling (given that it's not that much more expensive than taking it back to stock). That said, I have some concern with coilovers causing additional ware to other suspension components and tires (this is a third car for me to maintain). I'm also concerned about the life expectancy of the coilovers themselves. I know that many premature component failures are due to aggressive/hard driving and/or abuse. This is an LX, 1.8L with no other mods, it's not a fast car by any stretch (which is exactly what i want for my son), so I don't imagine it being driven real hard (it's almost impossible).

Does anyone have real life experience with component ware/failure due to coilovers? Is this a legitimate concern? What can I expect with regard to premature ware.... half the normal life, less than that?

Thanks again for all the input!
Old 03-12-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rseward
I guess I didn't really mean "OEM", but rather OEM replacements like Koni STR-T "Orange". One option I was considering was Koni STR-T with Eibach Pro lowering springs.
I had this setup (H&R springs instead of Eibach) on an '07 Mazda 3. Made a significant difference in ride and handling compared to stock KYB's. Koni's have a lifetime guarantee.
This guy will discount further from the best price match from other sellers: https://www.tunersports.com/

Update: i just checked his site for your specific vehicle and it doesn't list Koni's as an option for your car. He has a lot of other brands though. Stay away from Truehart stuff.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 03-12-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-12-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Koni's have a lifetime guarantee.
This is what I liked about Koni's... although I know in today's world a "warranty/guarantee" doesn't mean much. My experience has been that many manufactures find ways not to honor them, or make them impossible to use. For example: you may have to send the shocks back and wait while they inspect them before you can get replacements. How realistic is that?

Last edited by rseward; 03-12-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-12-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

This is what I liked about Koni's... although I know in today's world a "warranty/guarantee" doesn't mean much. My experience has been that many manufactures find ways not to honor them, or make them impossible to use. For example: you may have to send the shocks back and wait while they inspect them before you can get replacements. How realistic is that?
I sent one back after a year..they sent the free replacement first and told me to send faulty one back after new one arrives. IIRC
I may have paid one-way shipping charge.
Old 03-12-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
I sent one back after a year..they sent the free replacement first and told me to send faulty one back after new one arrives. IIRC
I may have paid one-way shipping charge.
That's good to know.
Old 03-12-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Ran tein super street coilovers lowered ~2.6" with 215/45-17 tires and no rubbing issues. Didnt notice any premature wear on suspension components, though i did change LCA bushings after probably 150-160k miles
Old 03-12-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

if coilovers, it should usually come with top hats, so that's one off the list of things that start making noises after suspension upgrades.
the other is the anti roll bar endlinks

bushings should be normal life (yeah, they go out quite fast, as in in 15 years i changed the fronts)
Old 03-12-2018
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Does anyone have real life experience with component ware/failure due to coilovers? Is this a legitimate concern? What can I expect with regard to premature ware.... half the normal life, less than that?
I would have to check to get an exact numbe but there is probably 20k miles on my Tein Coilovers for my Fit. The lower you go then the more strain it can put on the other suspension components. That being said its a sacrifice I am willing to pay for having the car lowered. I havn't noticed any premature wear with anything and I am lowered over 2". Same with my Civic. How many miles are you going to put on it? Will you want to raise it for different seasons?
Old 03-15-2018
Registered!!

Thank you all for your input and suggestions.

Next question... Does anyone know anything about the Honda HFP suspension kits (Honda Part Number 08W60-SVA-100)?

This particular kit "Fits: 2006-2011 2Dr. Coupe" and includes front strut/spring assembly, and rear shocks and springs, all genuine Honda parts. It's advertised to "drop the Civic about 1 inch and lower the vehicle's roll center. High performance dampers are tuned for enhanced road handling characteristics and decreased body roll".

Wondering If I'd still run into the same issues with premature damper failure using this kit?
Old 03-15-2018
Prelude Owner

Wondering If I'd still run into the same issues with premature damper failure using this kit?
No since it includes new shocks that should be valved to match the higher spring rate and be able to handle a drop.

How much is it though? Usually aftermarket kits are cheaper and offer more adjustability.

Oh and I have 32k miles on my Teins. Still doing great!!
Old 03-15-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
No since it includes new shocks that should be valved to match the higher spring rate and be able to handle a drop.

How much is it though? Usually aftermarket kits are cheaper and offer more adjustability.

Oh and I have 32k miles on my Teins. Still doing great!!
It's about $600 shipped. The struts are completely assembled (easy install, no messing with spring compressor) and includes all new hardware, strut mounts etc... As I read a little more about the kit, it also sounds like there is no need for camber kit with it.

I know Tien SAZ with new top hats etc... will be a little over $700, but I'd probably need to add a camber kit (another $200)... so like $900 total.

Going back to stock is like $450... so this seems like a nice compromise.

Also, this car is for my son (new driver) so I don't want anything crazy, just looking to keep a sporty look, with good handling while keeping a stock like ride quality... being that I have to completely redo the suspension anyway.
Old 03-15-2018
Registered!!

^ I thought the same, but Koni STR.T and Eibach Springs are advertised as being engineered to work together. You can even buy kits including both from Koni or Eibach. Yet many say they still fail prematurely when paired.

That said, I’ve also known people with completely stock cars to have struts/shocks fail in a relatively short time.
So I don’t know? Maybe some of these cases has more to do with how they’re driven or possibly just a bad shock (quality control) from the manufacturer?
Old 03-15-2018
Prelude Owner

Also, this car is for my son (new driver) so I don't want anything crazy, just looking to keep a sporty look, with good handling while keeping a stock like ride quality... being that I have to completely redo the suspension anyway.
In your situation it sounds like stock or the HFP is the way to go.

Maybe some of these cases has more to do with how they’re driven or possibly just a bad shock (quality control) from the manufacturer?[/left]
I think so. They are also more performance oriented so you are not going to get OEM miles out of them. Performance brake pads are great but wear faster then OEM. The HFP is also a more mild system so it might be best for longevity.
Old 03-15-2018
Registered!!

In your situation it sounds like stock or the HFP is the way to go.
Agreed, I just ordered the HFP suspension from socalhondaparts.com $613 shipped.

It was a little easier to justify this mild upgrade and moderate cost difference over stock.

They sent an email update stating that it would have to ship from Honda to them, then to me, so it will take about 7-10 days. I'll update this tread and let you guys know what I think once it's installed.
Old 03-15-2018
Prelude Owner

Cool!!! Yea let us know how you like it and how the install goes!!
Old 03-15-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

HFP?

Very mild stiffening of the springs, from what I hear
Old 03-16-2018
Registered!!

HFP?

Very mild stiffening of the springs, from what I hear

Ya... my understanding is that it lowers the car about 1” from stock (it will raise my car), and provides a mild performance upgrade. Sounds like a good option for a daily driver to me.

shouldn't have issues with rubbing, scraping, bottoming out, etc... and maintain’s a factory like ride, just a little lower, & a little stiffer.

because it’s Honda factory equipment, I figure it’s the best way to insure it’s properly engineered to work with my vehicle, and hopefully avoid creating other suspension issues.

Last edited by rseward; 03-16-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-16-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

yep. go ahead and pull the trigger. Nothing to worry about, i would imagine
Old 04-04-2018
Registered!!

I installed the HFP suspension kit this past weekend (Easter weekend). Install went smooth, took about 4.5 hours for all 4 corners. That was start to finish (setup to cleanup) 1 person, taking my time, using only basic hand tools and a scissor jack (no power tools or hydraulic floor jack), and I took a short break for lunch during that time. It was a pretty easy DIY, that anyone with a few hours and the right tools could do. It would probably take 1/2 that time with a floor jack and impact wrench. The difficulty would be the same with any suspension kit you choose assuming the front struts come assembled.

Here's what I think of it so far.... It's a fairly stiff suspension. I've ridden in a few cars with coil-overs (Godspeed, and Skunk 2) and I think the stiffness is similar to the coil-overs I've experienced. It's not bouncy at all, but is "bumpy", it's especially noticeable on rough patchy roads. I'm guessing it could soften up a little with use, but I'm really not sure. There's a noticeable increase in handling, the steering feels tighter, and more accurate; and the tires feel more planted onto the pavement, body roll is also noticeably reduced.

It did raised my car (I didn't take measurements), I now have a 2 finger gap, before (with the cut springs), the tires where tucked. I've read that it takes about a month to fully settle to it's final ride hight, so it may drop a little more (maybe 1/2"). Also, the suspension is much quieter than before. The cut springs made it quite noisy at times because they didn't fit tightly into the sprint seats.

All-in-all, I'm pretty happy with the suspension. I'm sure there are better options, as far as performance and/or ride quality, but this was what I felt most comfortable going with, and I'm glad I did.

Last edited by rseward; 04-04-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

oh, wow
your is the first with a review, did not know ift would make that much a difference (although the older parts could have been just too bad), but since you have experience with other coilover...)

Thanks a lot! good point of reference for us in the future!

If you have a chance to review again in a month, we will be very glad for it!
Old 04-04-2018
Registered!!

but since you have experience with other coilover...)
Just to be clear, my experience with coil-overs is very limited. I took a 10 min. test drive in a 95 Acura Integra that had a new set of Skunk 2's installed (It was stiffer that the HFP suspension), and a 15 min test drive in a 1999 Civic Coupe that had Godspeed coil-overs, which didn't seem as stiff as the skunk 2's and maybe just a little stiffer than the HFP, but both of these suspension were much lower than the HFP also (they were both slammed). I'd say the stiffness and ride quality of the HFP is comparable/similar, but not quite the same.

Last edited by rseward; 04-04-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-04-2019
Registered!!

tcade777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Coilovers or Lowering Springs

this is a stupid question but i am in the same boat and am looking for a coilover kit for my 08' civic si coupe. i initially want to get the tien z setup but since i am on a budget what do you guys think of these in particular? i appreciate your honest opinions in advance.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JDMSPEED-Co...e370%7Ciid%3A1

and these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rev9-Power-...e370%7Ciid%3A1

Quick Reply: Coilovers or Lowering Springs