LED Bulbs for Headlights 2009 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
themechanic is an unknown quantity at this point
LED Bulbs for Headlights 2009 Civic

Afternoon All,
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I have been wanting to upgrade my vehicles lighting to all LED's without changing the housings. I went onto Amazon and bought these. http://www.amazon.com/9006-Super-Bri...s=9006+hb4+led

However due to the little plastic reflector dish inside it loses about 50% of its lighting capabilities. Does anyone have any bulbs from a certain company or manufacturer they can recommend? I am also going to do my auto and high beam bulbs too, however after purchasing these i'm leaning away. Any tips?
Old 06-09-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: LED Bulbs for Headlights 2009 Civic

I wouldn't recommend LED bulbs as a plug-and-play upgrade for your main lights for the reason you just discovered. They DO make great parking/drl lights though! I'm really happy with my Philips parking and reverse lights.
Old 06-09-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you install LEDs on the high beams it may freak out the MICU and turn on the DRL warning light on the dash, same as when someone tries to use HID lights there. You may want to check into using decoders if that happens.
Old 06-27-2015
Registered!!

Ranger007 is an unknown quantity at this point

The current LEDs are not designed to be used in the reflector housings of halogen lamps. They project the light differently and end up having very poor visibility for you as well as abundance of glare for oncoming drivers. The only good thing is that the light looks bright and cool while looking from outside the car. If you really want to improve the lighting performance, then options are putting higher wattage halogen bulbs (if necessary by using a relay harness) or doing an HID projector retrofit (if you prefer performance + cool looks). Don't waste your time and money on half hearted attempts which will never give you the expected performance. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2015
Registered!!

ZoSoIV is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going HID 8000K bulb 9005 (HB3) - 8000k

Amazon.com: Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with Premium Ballasts - 9005 (HB3) - 8000k: Automotive Amazon.com: Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with Premium Ballasts - 9005 (HB3) - 8000k: Automotive
Old 01-26-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

Response to an old post: I will be replacing my head light assemblies with OEM assemblies, I was thinking of these LEDs with the anti flicker device for the low beams. But aren't reading anything that makes me feel good about the $175 cost. Any input is welcome, seems like an LED replacement would be mature now days, as LEDs are much more common now. Or should I just stick with the below recommended higher wattage hallogen bulbs for enhanced lighting?

https://www.xenonpro.com/honda/2006/civic-ex-sedan

Last edited by 06 EX Mild Mods; 01-26-2018 at 09:44 PM. Reason: remove formatting info from pasting some text.
Old 01-26-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Watch this video before pulling the trigger on LED bulbs

A lot of LED bulbs have crap light output that scatters light everywhere. If you want something with usable light, find something that replicated light output from a halogen bulb. From that video, the Supernova V3 has great output (+130% brighter than the halogen they comapred) and great beam pattern, but rings in at about $150 at headlightrevolution.com. There's a bulb that they reviewed that came out better, the GTR lighting Gen 3, came out +140% brighter than stock with the best beam pattern. However, carries a pricetag of $200 at headlight revolution.
Old 02-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the video, like the firearms, too many hobbies, too little income and time! I think I will do this project in stages first replace the badly fadded head light assemblies and OEM option driving lights now with road debris holes in them and fab some sort of protective cover for them to prevent their re-damage. Then save up and install the GTR lighting Gen 3's LEDs.
Old 02-02-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

[insert shameless plug for my gun thread in my signature]

I recently did a review on some LED bulbs I dropped in my fog lights.
Review: Calais COB LED Fog Light Bulbs ★★★★½
Yellow wouldn't be quite suitable for low beams, but they'd work great for high beams

It's worth a look. I've had them on my car for 5 days now, and me being uber ricer like I am, I keep them on when my headlights are on (I love the yellow/white contrast look they give). So far, no issues, but it hasn't been remotely warm out. I'm saving full judgement for when Vegas summer hits, then we'll see if these $23 LED bulbs last. But, yeah, so far, so good.