Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

oil cooler install

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chefjnr is an unknown quantity at this point
oil cooler install

just had a b&M oil cooler installed, ran $160.00 installed, allows me to use 5-1/2 QTS of oil and a much larger oil filter, cheap insurance for our high reving engine, I'm thinking it will prolong the life of my engine with cooler oil and much better flow than the small restrictive metric one that was stock. Price included the cooler and filter relocation kit.

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-09-2002
Registered!!

2Hottie is an unknown quantity at this point
Did they say it was an easy install?? Grey said he is going to post a DIY oil cooler install, so I am waiting for that to put one on my own...a good idea no less!!

2Hottie
Old 12-09-2002
Registered!!

slikor is an unknown quantity at this point
cool, do you have any pics of it?

i assume you used a generic model meant for a broad range of vehicles since i dont see anything specifically for 7th gen civics on B&M's website, but which model is it (is it the Import Engine Oil Cooler?

did you buy it locally or online? how much was it just for the kit, without install? where'd you put the cooler? where did you relocate the filter? does it use the same-as-stock filters still?
Old 12-09-2002
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: slikor
cool, do you have any pics of it?

i assume you used a generic model meant for a broad range of vehicles since i dont see anything specifically for 7th gen civics on B&M's website, but which model is it (is it the Import Engine Oil Cooler?

did you buy it locally or online? how much was it just for the kit, without install? where'd you put the cooler? where did you relocate the filter? does it use the same-as-stock filters still?[hr]
what he said, and i would like to see some pics of what it looks like and maybe some info on how its working for you
Old 12-09-2002
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
yes, more info would be excellent. I can't wait for Grey's DIY.
Old 12-09-2002
Registered!!

MagicRacing18 will become famous soon enoughMagicRacing18 will become famous soon enough
Thats a sweet little mod there. I'll wait though unitll I get engine mods on my car.. right now that part of my ride is rollin stock!

~nick~
Old 12-09-2002
Registered!!

easy to install, just took off the bumper cover and mounted it to the ac condensor, hook up the supplied lines and put the cover back on, got almost 2 qts more oil in there now, and as I can tell by my autometer oil pressure gauge, much more oil pressure flow. It was a generic one, they are sold by summit racing for $120.00- took about 1 hour to install.
the beauty with the remote mounting is that it uses sae filters, I went with a mobile 1 filter that is twice the size of the honda one, our high reving engine has got to be loving that!!
Old 12-09-2002
Registered!!

slikor is an unknown quantity at this point
sweet man, yeah i saw the kit online at summit racing for like $100 or something. so, did you get it professionally installed? if you did it yourself, was everything needed included (except for oil and the filter of course) and was it pretty easy? and where is the filter located now?

again, if you could get some pics that'd be awesome.
Old 12-13-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Yes... Pics would be very good. Another thing I'm curious to know... Just How much cooler is your oil? Do you have an oil temp gauge hooked up to your system? This thing sounds very interesting... especially for under 200 bucks if it works very well.... Cuz if I remember right... a cooler engine has more power.
Old 12-13-2002
Registered!!

Shawn02 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think an auto transmission cooler would be even more beneficial for our cars. Honda auto's aren't anywhere close to the greatness of their standards. I would prefer to have a toyota/lexus-style smoothness of auto shifting.
Old 12-13-2002
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
This is mainly for auto trannies...

I dont have an automatic Civic, but most automatic cars have a built in tranny cooler as part of the radiator. Most peeps that install an auxillary cooler are guys who race, have a high stall torque converter or tow(like trucks). When I installed mine(Hayden 24,000GVW cooler) in my 700r4 tranny(1990 Chevy Silverado) I did so since I have a street/strip tranny with a bunch of performance parts and a 2400 stall TQ. To monitor temps, I tapped into the tranny cooler sending line that goes to the radiator with Autometer temp manifold(big t-fitting). The manifold has a provision that you put a temp sensor in and feed it to a temp gauge. Works well, but the best way to get a tranny reading in by mounting the temp sensor in the tranny pan. BTW heat and dirt are the #1 killers of auto trannies.

Perhaps before you install a cooler, you should monitor the temps first by installing a guage, as you might not need a cooler. Also depending on where you live, tranny fluid can gel up in sub-zero temps. So adding the wrong cooler might actually cause more damage than good by over-cooling the fluid. If you do plan on getting a extra cooler, get one that has is a LPD(low pressure drop) design. What LPD coolers do is allow fluid to bypass the cooler tubes until its thin enough to flow, so your tranny gets lubrication when its cold outside. B&M and Tru-Cool make nice ones...
Old 12-13-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
After doing a little research... I'm not sure how you did it for so cheap.... Most Oil Coolers I found are about $80- $120... just for the heat exchanger core. Then toss on stainless lines, a thermostat (which I'm not sure whether it's necessary or not, still looking into that), the fittings and the relocator for the filter, and I keep getting up around $300-$400. What was included in your kit?

After looking in the engine bay and in the bumper, I would have to say YES... this should fit in. This would fit with no problem at all if you have a CAI because I can see running the lines up the space freed up by removing the air boxes. If theres a short ram, the filter may get in the way. The only issue I can see is the shape of the heat exchanger. A 5.75" core would fit perfectly in the lower bumper opening, but would give you only 3 corners to mount it. A custom bracket is still possible. Then run the lines to the right side of the car. Into the cavity under the headlight, there is a hole on top of that area that goes up into the engine bay behind the headlight, between the battery and the side of the car (it comes out where the stock air intake is). Then use one of the mounting points for the stock intake resonator to attach the filter relocator and hook it all up. I want to do some more research, but this looks like it is a very good idea. Searching the internet has turned up a couple of High Reving cars (mostly Integras and RX-7's) that have oil coolers installed, and are reporting decrease in oil temps by as much as 40 degrees.
Old 12-14-2002
Registered!!

go to www.bmracing.com- it is the super racing cooler, then go to a plumbing supply house to get the right brass fittings to make it fit your car. Total price was $120.00 shipped, labor was 1 hour. The cooler is attached to the ac condensor with the lines running under the passenger headlight area. Engine oil temps were down around 30 degrees at full throttle on the highway. less at idle. The engine temp also stays down low as a result of the oil cooler and water wetter in the radiator.
Old 12-14-2002
Registered!!

or, call "custom auto repair" in akron ohio at (330) 784-5898, he can get the entire kit to you with everything needed included (filter relocation, larger filter, cooler, lines and all fittings) for $130.00 shipped. This was the guy that got mine for me and installed it, so he will know exactly what to get for your 01 civics also. Definately worth the money, under $175.00 total is great insurance for a high reving vtec engine, not to mention the added benefits of longer engine life even if you dont run your car hard.
Old 12-15-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Just FYI... I will be installing an oil cooler, a thermostat, and an oild filter relocation kit.
The thermostat is essential since you don't want the oil cooler to kick in until the oil is nice and warm. If the oil cooler cools the oil before it gets a chance to warm up, then the oil won't flow as well and lubricate the engine as well as it should. This would especially suck in cold weather. Your engine would get used up quicker. Not sure how much quicker, but quicker nonetheless.
Old 11-07-2003
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Time to dig up an old thread

Has anybody installed or gotten pics of an oil filter relocator yet? I'm getting real tired of burning my hand from the oil
Old 11-07-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

I will be before the end of the winter. I'm probably gonna install a cooling system this winter sometime....
The relocater kit isn't too bad though... I've seen it done. You can pretty much mount it anywhere with a place to put a bracket. Just use STAINLESS lines. Rubber ones are not gonna be too good. They're pretty easy to blow off.
Old 11-07-2003
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, I'm gonna do something like this soon too, once the shop opens back up for me to use the lift.