Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Window Tinting... Luminar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JiffyPop is an unknown quantity at this point
Window Tinting... Luminar?

I'm about ready to tint my windows and I was wondering if anyone knew wtf Luminar was and why it is better for tint

My coworker said he got hooked up and had the Luminar stuff put on for free and they told him it was the better (more expensive) stuff

Is it?
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

2k1civic is an unknown quantity at this point
yes he's correct lumar is the best because they have a lifetime warranty no fade or chipping and it is the more expensive thats what I got and I love it no problems so far <knock on wood>
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

StealthCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
yea man, lumar tint is very good, get it, had it on my ol' crx and it is
some good tint, lumar not luminar[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

JiffyPop is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks...

Luminar is what he told me... he's a newbie though... doesn't know jack about cars

I'll be sure to call it Lumar from now on
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

Canuck is an unknown quantity at this point
Definetally LUMAR...just wondering what you guys think about putting 5% Lumar tint all around...too dark for the front???
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

touwseew is an unknown quantity at this point
in california its illegal to tint the front, but you can get it as dark as u want in the back.
Old 07-03-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
i got 15 percent all the way around. its kinda weak. but o well. no more burning for me!
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

2k2civicRAY is an unknown quantity at this point
I have llumar 35% mirror tint. LLumar is the best, mines got a lifetime waranty for just about everything that could mess up on it. I have pics here Linky Linky
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

DaCurryman is an unknown quantity at this point
Is there a difference between Mirror tints and Platinum tints? I have a SSM sedan so I wanna continue the silverish look, anyone offer any advice?
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
llumar all the way my bud just put it on his truck looks awesome, I did solard gard HP Charcoal all the way around 6% looks good also.

Nick
Old 07-04-2002
Registered!!

Mekenna is an unknown quantity at this point
That's what I got for mine, I figure it is better to pay a little more to avoid having it look like crap later.
I got 20% on mine because the guy said that if I were to go to 15% or lower, the tint would have a greenish, silvery tint to it and I didn't want that on my black car.
Old 07-13-2002
Registered!!

windowtint is an unknown quantity at this point
LLUMAR is NOT the "BEST" ~ although I sell it. I also carry about 5 other lines, what brand you get depends on what type/shade of film you choose.

On a professional grade level, 99% of all films are the same ~ you the consumer should NOT be concerned with BRAND, you won't even know if the guy told you one thing and installed another. Right?

LLUMAR, JOHNSON, MADICO, 3M, SUNGARD, SOLARGARD, GLOBAL etc etc etc etc... to the consumer they are all the same.

sidenote of importance to only tinters... Llumar is NOT very installer friendly being the factory rolls the tint inside out on the core... it's a major PITA. Also, Llumar is far over-priced when compared to it's competition that often times is as good or BETTER.

the buyer needs to be looking for a good installer, not a brand name. look for one-peice back windows, roll-ups with a very small or no top edge gap, minimal amount of dust (NO DUST is IMPOSSIBLE, only one person can do perfect tinting, and last I knew he wasnt in the tint business!).

also, NEVER go to the cheapest guy in town. He is always the local hack.

any other questions, you are free to also visit TINTDUDE.COM
Old 07-13-2002
Registered!!

TeamOutrage is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: touwseew
in california its illegal to tint the front, but you can get it as dark as u want in the back.[hr]
i just got a ticket for my front windows being tinted. the only way i got off for the back being toooo dark is because i have side rear view mirrors. but at least he let me off for my speeding.

WINDOWTINT...i have to disagree on what you said about going to the cheapest guy. you yourself said in another post that its not the film its the warrenty that is important. well i am not about to pay over 150 bucks for window tint and i will not buy it without a lifetime warrenty. i have been to 2 different places and one i paid 130 for lighter tint and the current tint i have now i only paid 140. BOTH have life time warrenties and BOTH did excelent jobs....more so then compared to friends of mine who paid an arm and a leg for theirs. i personally think the best bet is to go to a reputable shop to get it done but also shop around. make sure they wont leave seams and it wont turn purple. one place i checked out would tint my windows for 120 WITH seams and only a ONE year warrenty. if i wanted a life time warrenty it was 500. i laughed and left......no wonder they dont have much business and have shut down a few times
Old 07-14-2002
Registered!!

windowtint is an unknown quantity at this point
one thing to remember.. the cheapest shop 99% of the time is the one shop in town that is dying for business and the one shop the does the crappiest work.

keep in mind also that prices vary WIDELY according to region... as well as to make and model of car. You have a 2 door 97 Civic... I'll knock it down for $120... perfect. You bring me a 92 4 door accorrd.. you're gonna caugh up 170+ depending on how clean it is. And yes plenty guffaw like I am raping them... that's fine... beat it... I got 10 other cars sitting out there waiting for there turn every day. I don't want the ones who are looking for a "deal". I want the ones who are paying for quality.

But anyhow... the 120/130/140 range most of you are paying for your civics... that's a good range to be in (FYI). For that price ou should be getting good clean one peice jobs. "Lifetime" warranty

do note though... there is no such thing as a truly LIFETIME film, that's all marketing hype from the film manufacturers. Dyed film will turn purple and need to be replaced in about 3-5 years. Metallized "LIFETIME" film will turn blotchy, streaky, hazy and start to turn CLEAR in about 7 years. If your lucky enough.

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT! If you notice on many of your warranty cards... there will be a line in there somewhere that says "Change of color is not warranteed" or something therein those lines. SO... when this splotchy ugly pattern appears... it wont be covered for free replacement.

yes, IT SUCKS and it's UNFAIR to the customer ~ but that is also why i tell everyone of my custoemrs about that ~ and explain why it is still a good idea to get tint anyway.

Surprises aren't a good thing for a buyer to have in 4 years.
Old 07-14-2002
Registered!!

the "lifetime" warrenty i have is not on the film so to speak it is on the job. for as long as i own the car i can take it back and have it redone if i am unhappy with it for any reason. if it starts to change color i can take it back. if it starts to tear or bubble i can take it back. believe me with my saturn i did that. actually i had the saturn for 5 years and only took it back once because it was starting to fade and tear on the edges. they took it and replaced it no questions asked. THAT is the type of warrenty you want to look for. also i paid 130 for that car and you know how huge the back window is. the only reason i didnt go back to this place again is because i wanted the front darker then they were willing to tint.
Old 07-17-2002
Registered!!

blackavian is an unknown quantity at this point
FYI, being a Newbie doesn't make you not knowledgeable about cars, it just means you either just joined or you don't waste all your time at the computer chatting all day. If I can recall correctly, JiffyPop, you only have 37 posts, you yourself are just barely a member.
Old 07-18-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: blackavian
FYI, being a Newbie doesn't make you not knowledgeable about cars, it just means you either just joined or you don't waste all your time at the computer chatting all day. If I can recall correctly, JiffyPop, you only have 37 posts, you yourself are just barely a member.[hr]

ok that came from left field...what does that have to do with window tinting?