Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

female honda owner car overheating plz help

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lilkeebelf is an unknown quantity at this point
female honda owner car overheating plz help

Ok so i have a 98 civic ex d16y8 and my car keeps overheating . well it started out with the top radiator hose blowing on me so i replaced it but the car is still overheating so i replaced the thermostat still overheating well at this point my spark plug boot completely melt off the wires so i replace those and the coolant temp sensors it still overheating . it doesn't have any oil in the water or vice versa no steam coming out of the muffler so i don't think i have a cracked head. the only thing that i have noticed is everytime it overheats water is boiling out of the radiator reservoir plz help me i don't know what else to do
Old 10-06-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: female honda owner car overheating plz help

it started out with the top radiator hose blowing
still overheating
replaced the thermostat
still overheating
spark plug boot completely melt off the wires (HOLY POOP THAT'S HOT!)
still overheating
I would expect:
The head gasket is breached, the head will be warped.
Do some testing, then expect to
Pull the head or replace the engine.
Rings might be damaged from overheating.

Find the root cause of the first problem (what caused that hose to blow?) because that blown hose event was probably the point that the engine integrity was compromised, if it wasn't already prior to that.

Figure out if the radiator fan works so you don't ruin any new work you do to it.
Old 10-06-2013
Registered!!

Yes the radiator fan is kicking on and i just replaced the radiator cap if this doesn't work I'm going to buy a new engine. Does anyone in the Tennessee area have a d series engine for sale?
Old 10-06-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilkeebelf
a d series engine for sale?
Try this site
Old 10-06-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

are you sure your female because it wasn't quite clear in the title ???
Old 10-06-2013

Another thought for the OP: The sealing area of the radiator neck (where the small gasket of the cap has to seal) could also be burned out from steam erosion. This does happen during an overheat event where coolant boiled out. After this happens the system won't hold pressure as designed.
Old 10-07-2013
Registered!!

Fliptard will become famous soon enoughFliptard will become famous soon enough

Make sure you have the coolant system bleed correctly, sometimes it take awhile to make sure all the air is out, If there is air in the system, it can cause it to overheat.

When the car is cold, start it and let it run, see how long it takes for the bottom hose to get warm, if it doesn't get warm after the fan kicks on, the thermostat isn't opening, which means air in the system, bad water pump or the thermostat is junk.

I would also have a compression test and leak down test done to confirm if the headgasket Is bad before you start replacing more parts
Old 10-08-2013
Registered!!

Ok i replaced the radiator cap and so it hasnt overheated again but it took a couple days before it overheated last time so ill keep posting and let yall know if this doesn't work ill try to bleed my lines again i might not have got all the air out. thank u all so much. u guys are a life saver